Farrukh Awan, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Farrukh Awan, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Hematology and Oncology. He specializes in bone marrow transplantation and treatments for leukemia and lymphoma.
Dr. Awan earned his medical degree at the Aga Khan University Medical College in Pakistan. He completed a residency in internal medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and received advanced training in hematology and oncology through a fellowship at The Ohio State University.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, the American Board of Medical Oncology, and the American Board of Hematology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Awan is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the American Society of Hematology. He is also the recipient of the Young Investigator Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Clinical Career Development Award from the Lymphoma Research Foundation.
Dr. Awan has delivered scores of presentations, administered multiple grants and clinical trials, and published numerous academic articles and book chapters.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University, Pakistan (2001)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2006), Internal Medicine
- Medical School
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health (2006), Clinical Research
- Ohio State University Hospital (2009), Hematology Oncology
- Clinical and Translational research in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and lymphomas
- Developing strategies for overcoming lymphoid malignancies associated immune suppression
- Overcoming drug resistance in lymphoid malignancies
- Anti-BAFF-R antibody VAY-736 demonstrates promising preclinical activity in CLL and enhances effectiveness of ibrutinib.
- McWilliams EM, Lucas CR, Chen T, Harrington BK, Wasmuth R, Campbell A, Rogers KA, Cheney CM, Mo X, Andritsos LA, Awan FT, Woyach J, Carson WE, Butchar J, Tridandapani S, Hertlein E, Castro CE, Muthusamy N, Byrd JC Blood Adv 2019 Feb 3 3 447-460
- Entospletinib monotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia previously treated with B-cell receptor inhibitors: results of a phase 2 study.
- Awan FT, Thirman MJ, Patel-Donnelly D, Assouline S, Rao AV, Ye W, Hill B, Sharman JP Leuk. Lymphoma 2019 Jan 1-6
- Phase 1b study of obinutuzumab, ibrutinib, and venetoclax in relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Rogers KA, Huang Y, Ruppert AS, Awan FT, Heerema NA, Hoffman C, Lozanski G, Maddocks KJ, Moran ME, Reid MA, Lucas M, Woyach JA, Whitlow WT, Jones JA, Byrd JC Blood 2018 Oct 132 15 1568-1572
- The BTK Inhibitor ARQ 531 Targets Ibrutinib-Resistant CLL and Richter Transformation.
- Reiff SD, Mantel R, Smith LL, Greene JT, Muhowski EM, Fabian CA, Goettl VM, Tran M, Harrington BK, Rogers KA, Awan FT, Maddocks K, Andritsos L, Lehman AM, Sampath D, Lapalombella R, Eathiraj S, Abbadessa G, Schwartz B, Johnson AJ, Byrd JC, Woyach JA Cancer Discov 2018 Oct 8 10 1300-1315
- Ventricular Arrhythmias Following Ibrutinib Initiation for Lymphoid Malignancies.
- Guha A, Derbala MH, Zhao Q, Wiczer TE, Woyach JA, Byrd JC, Awan FT, Addison D J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018 Aug 72 6 697-698
- A phase II multicenter study of the anti-CD19 antibody drug conjugate coltuximab ravtansine (SAR3419) in patients with relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma previously treated with rituximab-based immunotherapy.
- Trnený M, Verhoef G, Dyer MJ, Ben Yehuda D, Patti C, Canales M, Lopez A, Awan FT, Montgomery PG, Janikova A, Barbui AM, Sulek K, Terol MJ, Radford J, Guidetti A, Di Nicola M, Siraudin L, Hatteville L, Schwab S, Oprea C, Gianni AM Haematologica 2018 Aug 103 8 1351-1358
- Use of acalabrutinib in patients with mantle cell lymphoma.
- Awan FT, Jurczak W Expert Rev Hematol 2018 Jun 11 6 495-502
- Choosing ibrutinib wisely.
- Awan FT Blood 2018 Jan 131 2 156-157
- Cumulative incidence, risk factors, and management of atrial fibrillation in patients receiving ibrutinib.
- Wiczer TE, Levine LB, Brumbaugh J, Coggins J, Zhao Q, Ruppert AS, Rogers K, McCoy A, Mousa L, Guha A, Heerema NA, Maddocks K, Christian B, Andritsos LA, Jaglowski S, Devine S, Baiocchi R, Woyach J, Jones J, Grever M, Blum KA, Byrd JC, Awan FT Blood Adv 2017 Sep 1 20 1739-1748
- -Mediated Resistance to Ibrutinib in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
- Woyach JA, Ruppert AS, Guinn D, Lehman A, Blachly JS, Lozanski A, Heerema NA, Zhao W, Coleman J, Jones D, Abruzzo L, Gordon A, Mantel R, Smith LL, McWhorter S, Davis M, Doong TJ, Ny F, Lucas M, Chase W, Jones JA, Flynn JM, Maddocks K, Rogers K, Jaglowski S, Andritsos LA, Awan FT, Blum KA, Grever MR, Lozanski G, Johnson AJ, Byrd JC J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 May 35 13 1437-1443
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Abeloff's Clinical Oncology, 6th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2019). Elsevier Health Sciences
Chronic Lymphcytic Leukemia. In Williams Hematology, 9th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2018). McGraw-Hill Education
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 7th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2018). Elsevier Health Sciences
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Williams Hematology. 8th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2015). McGraw-Hill Education
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed.
Lin TS, Awan FT, Byrd JC (2012). Elsevier Health Sciences
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Career Development Award
Lymphoma Research Foundation (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)
- European Hematology Association (2018)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2007)
- American Medical Association (2007)
- American Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation (2007)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2007)
- American Society of Hematology (2007)