Dr. Awan received his medical education at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan. He completed his Internal Medicine training at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA; along with obtaining a Master of Science degree in Clinical Research with a focus on Clinical Epidemiology. He continued his clinical and research training at The Ohio State University where he completed his fellowship in Hematology/Oncology. He moved to UTSW to lead the Lymphoid Malignancies Program and further advance clinical care and expand translational research efforts in lymphomas and chronic leukemias. Dr. Awan has been heavily engaged in clinical and translation efforts throughout his career and his work has been acknowledged by a Young Investigator Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology and a Career Development Award from the Lymphoma Research Foundation. Dr. Awan has published extensively in leading medical research journals including New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Blood, Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of American College of Cardiology, and many others. He has also written chapters in all major hematology textbooks. His clinical efforts at UTSW includes providing comprehensive, multi-disciplinary specialized care to patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphomas, including having access to state-of-the-art clinical trials of novel treatments, stem cell transplantation, and chimeric antigen receptor T-cells (CAR T-cells). Dr. Awan’s interests outside of medicine include his family, patient and provider education, reading, and travelling.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University, Pakistan (2001)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2006), Internal Medicine
- Medical School
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health (2006), Clinical Research
- Ohio State University Hospital (2009), Hematology Oncology
- Clinical and Translational research in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and lymphomas
- Developing strategies for overcoming lymphoid malignancies associated immune suppression
- Overcoming drug resistance in lymphoid malignancies
- Anti-BAFF-R antibody VAY-736 demonstrates promising preclinical activity in CLL and enhances effectiveness of ibrutinib.
- McWilliams EM, Lucas CR, Chen T, Harrington BK, Wasmuth R, Campbell A, Rogers KA, Cheney CM, Mo X, Andritsos LA, Awan FT, Woyach J, Carson WE, Butchar J, Tridandapani S, Hertlein E, Castro CE, Muthusamy N, Byrd JC Blood Adv 2019 Feb 3 3 447-460
- Entospletinib monotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia previously treated with B-cell receptor inhibitors: results of a phase 2 study.
- Awan FT, Thirman MJ, Patel-Donnelly D, Assouline S, Rao AV, Ye W, Hill B, Sharman JP Leuk. Lymphoma 2019 Jan 1-6
- Phase 1b study of obinutuzumab, ibrutinib, and venetoclax in relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Rogers KA, Huang Y, Ruppert AS, Awan FT, Heerema NA, Hoffman C, Lozanski G, Maddocks KJ, Moran ME, Reid MA, Lucas M, Woyach JA, Whitlow WT, Jones JA, Byrd JC Blood 2018 Oct 132 15 1568-1572
- The BTK Inhibitor ARQ 531 Targets Ibrutinib-Resistant CLL and Richter Transformation.
- Reiff SD, Mantel R, Smith LL, Greene JT, Muhowski EM, Fabian CA, Goettl VM, Tran M, Harrington BK, Rogers KA, Awan FT, Maddocks K, Andritsos L, Lehman AM, Sampath D, Lapalombella R, Eathiraj S, Abbadessa G, Schwartz B, Johnson AJ, Byrd JC, Woyach JA Cancer Discov 2018 Oct 8 10 1300-1315
- Ventricular Arrhythmias Following Ibrutinib Initiation for Lymphoid Malignancies.
- Guha A, Derbala MH, Zhao Q, Wiczer TE, Woyach JA, Byrd JC, Awan FT, Addison D J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018 Aug 72 6 697-698
- A phase II multicenter study of the anti-CD19 antibody drug conjugate coltuximab ravtansine (SAR3419) in patients with relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma previously treated with rituximab-based immunotherapy.
- Trnený M, Verhoef G, Dyer MJ, Ben Yehuda D, Patti C, Canales M, Lopez A, Awan FT, Montgomery PG, Janikova A, Barbui AM, Sulek K, Terol MJ, Radford J, Guidetti A, Di Nicola M, Siraudin L, Hatteville L, Schwab S, Oprea C, Gianni AM Haematologica 2018 Aug 103 8 1351-1358
- Use of acalabrutinib in patients with mantle cell lymphoma.
- Awan FT, Jurczak W Expert Rev Hematol 2018 Jun 11 6 495-502
- Choosing ibrutinib wisely.
- Awan FT Blood 2018 Jan 131 2 156-157
- Cumulative incidence, risk factors, and management of atrial fibrillation in patients receiving ibrutinib.
- Wiczer TE, Levine LB, Brumbaugh J, Coggins J, Zhao Q, Ruppert AS, Rogers K, McCoy A, Mousa L, Guha A, Heerema NA, Maddocks K, Christian B, Andritsos LA, Jaglowski S, Devine S, Baiocchi R, Woyach J, Jones J, Grever M, Blum KA, Byrd JC, Awan FT Blood Adv 2017 Sep 1 20 1739-1748
- -Mediated Resistance to Ibrutinib in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
- Woyach JA, Ruppert AS, Guinn D, Lehman A, Blachly JS, Lozanski A, Heerema NA, Zhao W, Coleman J, Jones D, Abruzzo L, Gordon A, Mantel R, Smith LL, McWhorter S, Davis M, Doong TJ, Ny F, Lucas M, Chase W, Jones JA, Flynn JM, Maddocks K, Rogers K, Jaglowski S, Andritsos LA, Awan FT, Blum KA, Grever MR, Lozanski G, Johnson AJ, Byrd JC J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 May 35 13 1437-1443
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Abeloff's Clinical Oncology, 6th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2019). Elsevier Health Sciences
Chronic Lymphcytic Leukemia. In Williams Hematology, 9th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2018). McGraw-Hill Education
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 7th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2018). Elsevier Health Sciences
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Williams Hematology. 8th ed.
Awan FT, Byrd JC (2015). McGraw-Hill Education
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. In Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed.
Lin TS, Awan FT, Byrd JC (2012). Elsevier Health Sciences
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Career Development Award
Lymphoma Research Foundation (2013)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)
- European Hematology Association (2018)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2007)
- American Medical Association (2007)
- American Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation (2007)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2007)
- American Society of Hematology (2007)