Laura Filkins, Ph.D.
Laura Filkins, PhD, D(ABMM) is the Director of Microbiology at Children's Health, Dallas, TX. After receiving a doctoral degree at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH in 2015, she completed fellowship training in Medical and Public Health Microbiology through the University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT in 2018. Her research and academic interests focus on the integration of emerging technologies into the clinical setting for pathogen detection and how to guide optimal utilization of these new diagnostic tests.
- Undergraduate School
- Rochester Institute of Technology (2010)
- Graduate School
- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (2015)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (2016)
- Obstructive hydrocephalus and intracerebral mass secondary to Epicoccum nigrum.
- Charron TL, Gill MA, Filkins LM, Rajaram V, Wysocki CA, Whittemore BA, Med Mycol Case Rep 2022 Mar 35 18-21
- Association of Pyuria with Uropathogens in Young Children.
- Nadeem S, Manuel MM, Oke OK, Patel V, Filkins LM, Badawy MK, Park JY, Hennes HM, J Pediatr 2022 Feb
- Harnessing the Electronic Health Record and Computerized Provider Order Entry Data for Resource Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Luu HS, Filkins LM, Park JY, Rakheja D, Tweed J, Menzies C, Wang VJ, Mittal V, Lehmann CU, Sebert ME, JMIR Med Inform 2021 Sep
- Transfusion-Transmitted Malaria: Two Pediatric Cases From the United States and Their Relevance in an Increasingly Globalized World.
- Stubbs LA, Price M, Noland D, Fuchs J, Filkins L, McElvania E, Luu HS, Sebert M, Waters A, Hsiang MS, J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2021 Sep
- Pyuria and Urine Concentration for Identifying Urinary Tract Infection in Young Children.
- Nadeem S, Badawy M, Oke OK, Filkins LM, Park JY, Hennes HM, Pediatrics 2021 02 147 2
- Laboratory action plan for emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants.
- Filkins L, SoRelle JA, Schoggins J, Park JY, Clin Chem 2021 Jan
- Navigating Clinical Utilization of Direct-from-Specimen Metagenomic Pathogen Detection: Clinical Applications, Limitations, and Testing Recommendations.
- Filkins LM, Bryson AL, Miller SA, Mitchell SL, Clin Chem 2020 Nov 66 11 1381-1395
- Mass Spectrometry for COVID-19.
- SoRelle JA, Patel K, Filkins L, Park JY, Clin Chem 2020 11 66 11 1367-1368
- American Society for Microbiology provides 2020 Guidelines for Detection and Identification of Group B Streptococcus.
- Filkins L, Hauser JR, Robinson-Dunn B, Tibbetts R, Boyanton BL, Revell P, J Clin Microbiol 2020 Oct
- Application, Verification and Implementation of SARS-CoV-2 Serologic Assays with Emergency Use Authorization.
- Theel ES, Couturier MR, Filkins L, Palavecino E, Mitchell S, Campbell S, Pentella M, Butler-Wu S, Jerke K, Dharmarha V, McNult P, Schuetz AN, J Clin Microbiol 2020 Oct
Clinical metagenomics for infection diagnosis. In Genomic and Precision Medicine Infectious and Inflammatory Disease
Schlaberg R and Filkins L (). London, United Kingdom San Diego, CA, USA Cambridge, MA, USA Oxford, United Kindom, Academic Press, Elsevier
- Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (2019)
- Southwestern Association for Clinical Microbiology (2019)
- American Society for Microbiology (2014)