Laura Filkins, PhD, D(ABMM) is the Director of Microbiology at Children's Health, Dallas, TX. After receiving a doctoral degree at Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH in 2015, she completed fellowship training in Medical and Public Health Microbiology through the University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT in 2018. Her research and academic interests focus on the integration of emerging technologies into the clinical setting for pathogen detection and how to guide optimal utilization of these new diagnostic tests.
- Profiling of Bacterial and Fungal Microbial Communities in Cystic Fibrosis Sputum Using RNA.
- Grahl N, Dolben EL, Filkins LM, Crocker AW, Willger SD, Morrison HG, Sogin ML, Ashare A, Gifford AH, Jacobs NJ, Schwartzman JD, Hogan DA mSphere 2018 08 3 4
- With Cholecystitis and Extensive Portal Vein Thrombosis.
- Filkins LM, Gaston DC, Mathison B, Smith T, Couturier MR, Murphy RD, Ciarkowski C, Hanson KE, Cariello PF Open Forum Infect Dis 2017 4 4 ofx217
- Cystic Fibrosis Lung Infections: Polymicrobial, Complex, and Hard to Treat.
- Filkins LM, O'Toole GA PLoS Pathog. 2015 Dec 11 12 e1005258
- Coculture of Staphylococcus aureus with Pseudomonas aeruginosa Drives S. aureus towards Fermentative Metabolism and Reduced Viability in a Cystic Fibrosis Model.
- Filkins LM, Graber JA, Olson DG, Dolben EL, Lynd LR, Bhuju S, O'Toole GA J. Bacteriol. 2015 Jul 197 14 2252-64
- Cyclic di-GMP-mediated repression of swarming motility by Pseudomonas aeruginosa PA14 requires the MotAB stator.
- Kuchma SL, Delalez NJ, Filkins LM, Snavely EA, Armitage JP, O'Toole GA J. Bacteriol. 2015 Feb 197 3 420-30
- Epoxide-mediated differential packaging of Cif and other virulence factors into outer membrane vesicles.
- Ballok AE, Filkins LM, Bomberger JM, Stanton BA, O'Toole GA J. Bacteriol. 2014 Oct 196 20 3633-42
- Characterization and quantification of the fungal microbiome in serial samples from individuals with cystic fibrosis.
- Willger SD, Grim SL, Dolben EL, Shipunova A, Hampton TH, Morrison HG, Filkins LM, O'Toole GA, Moulton LA, Ashare A, Sogin ML, Hogan DA Microbiome 2014 2 40
- PcpA of Streptococcus pneumoniae mediates adherence to nasopharyngeal and lung epithelial cells and elicits functional antibodies in humans.
- Khan MN, Sharma SK, Filkins LM, Pichichero ME Microbes Infect. 2012 Oct 14 12 1102-10
- Prevalence of streptococci and increased polymicrobial diversity associated with cystic fibrosis patient stability.
- Filkins LM, Hampton TH, Gifford AH, Gross MJ, Hogan DA, Sogin ML, Morrison HG, Paster BJ, O'Toole GA J. Bacteriol. 2012 Sep 194 17 4709-17
- American Society for Microbiology (2014)