Rachel Bonnema, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She is also Associate Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine.
Dr. Bonnema earned her medical degree at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine. She completed a residency in internal medicine (women’s health track) and also received advanced training through an internal medicine fellowship with a focus in women’s health at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr. Bonnema has a master’s degree in medical education from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Bonnema is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and serves on the Education Committee for the Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM). She is a member of Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine and SGIM.
She has delivered scores of presentations, contributed to the book Textbook for Internal Medicine Education Programs, and published several academic articles. Her academic work is focused on women’s health, behavioral health, and communication skills.
- Medical School
- University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine (2003)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2006), Internal Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2008)
- Graduate School
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2008), Medical Education
- Primary care management of chronic pelvic pain in women.
- Bonnema R, McNamara M, Harsh J, Hopkins E Cleve Clin J Med 2018 Mar 85 3 215-223
- Emergency Contraception: A multi-specialty survey of clinician knowledge and practices.
- Batur P, Cleland K, McNamara M, Wu J, Pickle S Contraception 2015 Sep
- An Effective Multimodal Curriculum to Teach Internal Medicine Residents Evidence-Based Breast Health.
- Corbelli J, Bonnema R, Rubio D, Comer D, McNeil M J Grad Med Educ 2014 Dec 6 4 721-5
- Use of the Gail model and breast cancer preventive therapy among three primary care specialties.
- Corbelli J, Borrero S, Bonnema R, McNamara M, Kraemer K, Rubio D, Karpov I, McNeil M J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2014 Sep 23 9 746-52
- Physician adherence to U.S. Preventive Services Task Force mammography guidelines.
- Corbelli J, Borrero S, Bonnema R, McNamara M, Kraemer K, Rubio D, Karpov I, McNeil M Womens Health Issues 2014 May-Jun 24 3 e313-9
- Workshop preparation and presentation: a valuable form of scholarship for the clinician-educator.
- Spagnoletti CL, Spencer AL, Bonnema RA, McNamara MC, McNeil MA J Grad Med Educ 2013 Mar 5 1 155-6
- The new extended-cycle levonorgestrel-ethinyl estradiol oral contraceptives.
- Bonnema RA, Spencer AL Clin Med Insights Reprod Health 2011 Sep 5 49-54
- Contraception choices in women with underlying medical conditions.
- Bonnema RA, McNamara MC, Spencer AL Am Fam Physician 2010 Sep 82 6 621-8
Contraception. In Conn's Current Therapy 2019
Bonnema RA, Spencer AL (2019). Elsevier
Developing a Curriculum. In Textbook for Internal Medicine Education Programs (Toolkit Series), 12th Ed.
Chick DA, Bonnema RA (2017). Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine
Well woman care. In Williams Gynecology, 4th ed.
Hoffman BL, Bonnema RA, Jarin JD (2020). McGraw-Hill
Honors & Awards
- Society of General Internal Medicine Mid-Career Education Mentorship Award
Recognizes an outstanding mid-career clinician educator for mentoring activities of general medicine educators. outstanding mid-career clinician educator actively engaged in education research and mentorship of junior clinician educators. (2020)
- Department of Medicine Top Teacher Award
University of Nebraska Medical Center (2015)
- Nebraska Chapter of the ACP LeeRoy Meyer Teaching Award
American College of Physicians (2015)
- Department of Medicine Top Teacher Award
University of Nebraska Medical Center (2014)
- Lawrence Reardon Award for Professionalism
University of Pittsburgh (2006)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2003)
- Association of Chiefs & Leaders of General Internal Medicine (2018)
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (2008)
- American College of Physicians (2006)
- Society of General Internal Medicine (2006)