Thomas Wilkie, Ph.D.
Graduate Programs Cancer Biology, Genetics, Development and Disease
1980 BA, Biochemistry Department, University of California, Berkeley
1987 PhD, Biochemistry Department, University of Washington, with Dr. Richard D. Palmiter Thesis: Transmission Ratio Distortion and Mosaicism in Transgenic Mice
1986-1992 NIH Postdoctoral Fellow with Dr. Melvin I. Simon, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena CA
1993 Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology
2000 Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology
2011 Member, UTSW Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
2012 Adjunct Faculty, UT Dallas, Biological Sciences
2013 Director, UTSW First Year Graduate School Core Course
2014 co-Director, Mechanisms of Disease & Translational Science Graduate Track
- Uni of California, Berkeley (1980), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Washington (1986), Biochemistry
- G Protein Signaling in Pancreas Development, Adult Physiology and Behavior
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatic islet and beta cell expansion in diabetes
- A rapid in vivo screen for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma therapeutics.
- Ocal O, Pashkov V, Kollipara RK, Heath BR, Zolghadri Y, Cruz VH, Hale M, Artyukhin AB, Christie AL, Tsoulfas P, Lorens JB, Swift GH, Brekken RA & Wilkie TM Disease Models & Mechanisms 2015 8 1201-1211
- Regulator of G protein Signaling (Rgs16) inhibits hepatic fatty acid oxidation in a ChREBP-dependent manner
- Pashkov V*, Huang J*, Parameswara VK, Kedzierski W, Kurrasch DM, Tall GG, Gerard RD, Esser V, Uyeda K, Towle H & Wilkie TM J Biol Chem April 2011 286 [Cover] 15116-15127
- Rgs16 and Rgs8 in embryonic endocrine pancreas and mouse models of diabetes
- Villasenor A, Wang ZV, Rivera LB, Ocal O, Wernstedt Asterholm I, Scherer PE, Brekken RA, Cleaver O*, & Wilkie TM* Disease Models & Mechanisms September 2010 3 567-580
- GTPase-activating proteins (GAPs) for heterotrimeric G proteins: Regulators of G protein signaling (RGS proteins) and their relatives.
- Ross EM & Wilkie TM Annual Review of Biochemistry 2000 69 795-827
- Ca2+/calmodulin reverses 3,4,5-trisphosphate-dependent inhibition of regulators of G protein-signaling GTPase-activating protein activity.
- Popov S, Krishna UM, Falck JR & Wilkie TM J. Biol. Chem. 2000 275 18962-18968
- GAIP and RGS4 are GTPase accelerating proteins (GAPs) for the Gi family of heterotrimeric guanine nucleotide binding proteins.
- Berman DM, Wilkie TM & Gilman AG Cell 1996 86 445-452
- New roles for G alpha and RGS proteins: Communication continues despite driving sisters apart.
- Wilkie TM & Kinch L. Current Biology November 2005 15 R843-R854
- G alpha-q and G alpha-11 proteins mediate endothelin-1 signaling in neural crest-derived pharyngeal arch mesenchyme.
- Ivey K, Tyson B, Ukidwe P, McFadden D, Levi G, Olson E, Srivastava D & Wilkie TM Developmental Biology 2003 255 230-237
- Regulators of G protein signaling provide biochemical control of agonist-evoked [Ca2+]i oscillations.
- Luo X, Popov S, Bera AK, Wilkie TM & Muallem S Molecular Cell 2001 7 651-660
- The N-terminal domain of RGS4 confers receptor selective inhibition of G protein signaling
- Zeng W, Xu X, Popov S, Mukhopadhyay S, Chidiac P, Swistok J, Danho W, Yagaloff K, Fisher S, Ross EM, Muallem S & Wilkie TM J. Biol. Chem. 1998 273 34687-34690
RGS Protein Superfamily. In Encyclopedia of Hormones
Sierra DA & Wilkie TM (2003). San Diego CA, Academic Press
G proteins: Large and small guanine nucleotide binding proteins. In Principles of Molecular Regulation
Wilkie TM & White MA (2000). Totowa NJ, The Humana Press
Mammalian spermiogenesis: Assembly and fate of perinuclear theca constituents. In Cellular and Molecular Events in Spermatogenesis
Bellve AR, Thomas KH Chandrika R, Wilkie TM & Simon MI (1990). Cambridge, United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Haberecht Wildhare-Idea Research Grant Award
UT Southwestern (2016)
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UTSW Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (2015)
- Established Investigator Award
American Heart Association (1996)
- Starter Scholar Research Award
Basil OConner MOD (1995)
- AACR (2010)
- ASBMB (1988)
- ASPET (1996)