Dr. Kim is originally from South Korea and received his doctoral degree in Exercise Physiology from the University of Florida in 2017. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Hypertension Section/Cardiology Division at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2021 and then joined the faculty thereafter.
Dr. Kim’s primary research interests focus on the measurement of autonomic cardiovascular control at rest and in response to physical and chemical stress that mimic exercise in a rodent model. In particular, he is interested in investigating the central and peripheral mechanisms underlying the abnormal alterations in sympathetic nerve activity in prehypertension and established hypertension.
During his free time, he enjoys hiking trails and playing tennis with his wife and son.
- Graduate School
- University of Florida (2017)
- Neural Control of the Cardiovascular System
- Sympathetic Dysfunction in Hypertension
- Insulin potentiates the response to capsaicin in dorsal root ganglion neurons in vitro and muscle afferents ex vivo in normal healthy rodents.
- Hori A, Norio H, Fukazawa A, Estrada JA, Katanosaka K, Mizumura K, Sato J, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, J Physiol 2021 Dec
- The Impact of Insulin Resistance on Cardiovascular Control during Exercise in Diabetes.
- Mizuno M, Hotta N, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Iwamoto G, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Exerc Sport Sci Rev 2021 May
- TRPV1 (Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1) Sensitization of Skeletal Muscle Afferents in Type 2 Diabetic Rats With Hyperglycemia.
- Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Hotta N, Iwamoto GA, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W, Mizuno M, Hypertension 2021 Apr 77 4 1360-1371
- Insulin resistance is associated with an exaggerated blood pressure response to ischemic rhythmic handgrip exercise in non-diabetic older adults.
- Hotta N, Hori A, Okamura Y, Baba R, Watanabe H, Sugawara J, Vongpatanasin W, Wang J, Kim HK, Ishizawa R, Iwamoto GA, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, J. Appl. Physiol. 2020 Jun
- Skeletal Muscle Reflex-Induced Sympathetic Dysregulation and Sensitization of Muscle Afferents in Type 1 Diabetic Rats.
- Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Hotta N, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Hypertension 2020 Feb HYPERTENSIONAHA11914118
- Insulin potentiates the response to mechanical stimuli in small dorsal root ganglion neurons and thin fibre muscle afferents in vitro.
- Hotta N, Katanosaka K, Mizumura K, Iwamoto GA, Ishizawa R, Kim HK, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 2019 Aug
- Exaggerated pressor and sympathetic responses to stimulation of the mesencephalic locomotor region and exercise pressor reflex in type II diabetic rats.
- Kim HK, Hotta N, Ishizawa R, Iwamoto GA, Vongpatanasin W, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2019 May
- Phosphate, the forgotten mineral in hypertension.
- Kim HK, Mizuno M, Vongpatanasin W, Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2019 03
- Effect of all-extremity high-intensity interval training vs. moderate-intensity continuous training on aerobic fitness in middle-aged and older adults with type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial.
- Hwang CL, Lim J, Yoo JK, Kim HK, Hwang MH, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Holmer BJ, Leey Casella JA, Cusi K, Christou DD Exp. Gerontol. 2019 Feb 116 46-53
- High-Phosphate Diet Induces Exercise Intolerance and Impairs Fatty Acid Metabolism in Mice.
- Peri-Okonny PA, Baskin KK, Iwamoto G, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Kim HK, Szweda LI, Bassel-Duby R, Fujikawa T, Castorena CM, Richardson J, Shelton JM, Ayers C, Berry JD, Malladi VS, Hu MC, Moe OW, Scherer PE, Vongpatanasin W Circulation 2019 Jan
- American Heart Association (2015)
- American Physiology Society (2013)