Dr. Xierali is an Associate Professor at the Department of Family and Community Medicine. His main charge at the department is to help build research profile of the department, assist development of faculty-led research, and help train residents with research methods. He is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Georgetown University Medical Center, Adjunct Associate Professor at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, and active member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. Previously, he was Senior Researcher in Workforce Studies and Manager for Public Health and Diversity Initiatives at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Before AAMC, he worked as Health Geographer and Research Scientist at the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
- Current and Future Status of Diversity in Ophthalmologist Workforce.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Wilson MR JAMA Ophthalmol 2016 Sep 134 9 1016-23
- Placement of US Medical School Graduates Into Graduate Medical Education, 2005 Through 2015.
- Sondheimer HM, Xierali IM, Young GH, Nivet MA JAMA 2015 Dec 314 22 2409-10
- The redistribution of graduate medical education positions in 2005 failed to boost primary care or rural training.
- Chen C, Xierali I, Piwnica-Worms K, Phillips R Health Aff (Millwood) 2013 Jan 32 1 102-10
- Family physician participation in maintenance of certification.
- Xierali IM, Rinaldo JC, Green LA, Petterson SM, Phillips RL, Bazemore AW, Newton WP, Puffer JC Ann Fam Med 2011 May-Jun 9 3 203-10
- Physician Multisite Practicing: Impact on Access to Care.
- Xierali IM J Am Board Fam Med 2018 Mar-Apr 31 2 260-269
- Automated Delineation of Hospital Service Areas and Hospital Referral Regions by Modularity Optimization.
- Hu Y, Wang F, Xierali IM Health Serv Res 2018 Feb 53 1 236-255
- The Racial and Ethnic Composition and Distribution of Primary Care Physicians.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA J Health Care Poor Underserved 2018 29 1 556-570
- Distributional Differences between Family Physicians and General Internists.
- Xierali IM J Health Care Poor Underserved 2018 29 2 711-722
- Relocation of Obstetrician-Gynecologists in the United States, 2005-2015.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Rayburn WF Obstet Gynecol 2017 Mar 129 3 543-550
- Decoupling of the minority PhD talent pool and assistant professor hiring in medical school basic science departments in the US.
- Gibbs KD, Basson J, Xierali IM, Broniatowski DA Elife 2016 11 5
The practice of US health professional shortage areas designation and reform prospect. In Applications of GIS and Spatial Analysis in Public Health
Luo W, Xierali IM, Wang F (2015). Beijing, Higher Education Press
Honors & Awards
- Healthcare Cost & Utilization Project, 2016 Outstanding Article of the Year Award, Policy Winner
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and AcademyHealth (2016)
- Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing
American Journal of Preventive Medicine (AJPM) (2015)
- Eastern North American Region (ENAR) International Biometric Society (2016)
- Society of Teachers in Family Medicine (STFM) (2009)
- AcademyHealth (2008)
- American Public Health Association (APHA) (2008)
- Association of American Geographers (AAG) (2004)