Dr. Xierali is an Associate Professor at the Department of Family and Community Medicine. His main charge at the department is to help build research profile of the department, assist development of faculty-led research, and help train residents with research methods. He is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Georgetown University Medical Center, Adjunct Associate Professor at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, and active member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. Previously, he was Senior Researcher in Workforce Studies and Manager for Public Health and Diversity Initiatives at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Before AAMC, he worked as Health Geographer and Research Scientist at the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
- Expanded Fellowship Training and Residency Graduates' Availability for Women's General Health Needs.
- Rayburn WF, Xierali IM, Obstet Gynecol 2021 May
- Trends in Cochlear Implantation in Texas: An Exploration of Outpatient Discharge Data, 2010 to 2017.
- Balachandra S, Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Hunter JB, Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2021 Apr 34894211008068
- Full-Time Faculty in Clinical and Basic Science Departments by Sex and Underrepresented in Medicine Status: A 40-Year Review.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Rayburn WF, Acad Med 2021 04 96 4 568-575
- Emergency Department Presentation of Opioid Use Disorder and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Xierali IM, Day PG, Kleinschmidt KC, Strenth C, Schneider FD, Kale NJ JSAT 2021 127 108343
- Recent Trends in Faculty Promotion in U.S. Medical Schools: Implications for Recruitment, Retention, and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Syed ZA, Shakil A, Schneider FD, Acad Med 2021 Jun
- Medical Student Perception of Lifestyle Medicine and Willingness to Engage in Lifestyle Counseling: A Pilot Study of Allopathic and Osteopathic Medical Students
- Lee JS, Xierali IM, Jaini PA, Jetpuri Z, Papa F AJLM 2021
- US Dermatology Department Faculty Diversity Trends by Sex and Underrepresented-in-Medicine Status, 1970 to 2018.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Pandya AG, JAMA Dermatol 2020 Jan
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Hospital Referral Region (HRR) Boundaries: A Pilot Study in Florida
- Jia P, Wang F, Xierali IM Annals of GIS 2020 26 3 251-260
- Tenure Trends in Academic Emergency Medicine Departments in U.S. Medical Schools
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA AEMET 2020 4 3 202-211
- The Rise of Nontenured Faculty in Obstetrics and Gynecology by Sex and Underrepresented in Medicine Status.
- Esters D, Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Rayburn WF, Obstet Gynecol 2019 Oct 134 Suppl 1 34S-39S
The practice of US health professional shortage areas designation and reform prospect. In Applications of Geospatial Information Technologies in Public Health
Luo W, Xierali IM, Wang F (2015). Beijing, Higher Education Press
Serving a segregated metropolitan area: Disparities in spatial access to primary care physicians in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In Geospatial Technologies for Urban Health
Wang F, Vingiello M, Xierali IM (2019). Basel, Switzerland, Springer Nature Switzerland AG
Honors & Awards
- Honorable Mention as Part of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine 2019 Research Paper of the Year Award
The Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) (2019)
- Healthcare Cost & Utilization Project, 2016 Outstanding Article of the Year Award, Policy Winner
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and AcademyHealth (2016)
- Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing
American Journal of Preventive Medicine (AJPM) (2015)
- Eastern North American Region (ENAR) International Biometric Society (2016)
- Society of Teachers in Family Medicine (STFM) (2009)
- AcademyHealth (2008)
- American Public Health Association (APHA) (2008)
- Association of American Geographers (AAG) (2004)