Dr. Xierali is an Associate Professor at the Department of Family and Community Medicine. His main charge at the department is to help build research profile of the department, assist development of faculty-led research, and help train residents with research methods. He is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Georgetown University Medical Center, Adjunct Associate Professor at Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, and active member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. Previously, he was Senior Researcher in Workforce Studies and Manager for Public Health and Diversity Initiatives at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Before AAMC, he worked as Health Geographer and Research Scientist at the Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine and Primary Care of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
- US Dermatology Department Faculty Diversity Trends by Sex and Underrepresented-in-Medicine Status, 1970 to 2018.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Pandya AG, JAMA Dermatol 2020 Jan
- Current and Future Status of Diversity in Ophthalmologist Workforce.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Wilson MR JAMA Ophthalmol 2016 Sep 134 9 1016-23
- Placement of US Medical School Graduates Into Graduate Medical Education, 2005 Through 2015.
- Sondheimer HM, Xierali IM, Young GH, Nivet MA JAMA 2015 Dec 314 22 2409-10
- The redistribution of graduate medical education positions in 2005 failed to boost primary care or rural training.
- Chen C, Xierali I, Piwnica-Worms K, Phillips R Health Aff (Millwood) 2013 Jan 32 1 102-10
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Hospital Referral Region (HRR) Boundaries: A Pilot Study in Florida
- Jia P, Wang F, Xierali IM Annals of GIS 2020 26 3 251-260
- Tenure Trends in Academic Emergency Medicine Departments in U.S. Medical Schools
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA AEMET 2020 4 3 202-211
- The Rise of Nontenured Faculty in Obstetrics and Gynecology by Sex and Underrepresented in Medicine Status.
- Esters D, Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Rayburn WF, Obstet Gynecol 2019 Oct 134 Suppl 1 34S-39S
- Analysis of the Trend in the Cost of Professional Liability Insurance and Obstetricians and Gynecologists Workforce in the United States from 2005 to 2015
- Kim E, Rayburn WF, and Xierali IM JRM 2019 Aug 64 4 256-260
- Trends in Tenure Status in Academic Family Medicine, 1977-2017: Implications for Recruitment, Retention, and the Academic Mission.
- Xierali IM, Nivet MA, Syed Z, Shakil A, Schneider FD, Acad Med 2019 Jul
- Differential effects of distance decay on hospital inpatient visits among subpopulations in Florida, USA.
- Jia P, Wang F, Xierali IM, Environ Monit Assess 2019 Jun 191 Suppl 2 381
The practice of US health professional shortage areas designation and reform prospect. In Applications of GIS and Spatial Analysis in Public Health
Luo W, Xierali IM, Wang F (2015). Beijing, Higher Education Press
Serving a segregated metropolitan area: Disparities in spatial access to primary care physicians in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In Geospatial Technologies for Urban Health
Wang F, Vingiello M, Xierali IM (2019). Basel, Switzerland, Springer Nature Switzerland AG
Honors & Awards
- Honorable Mention as Part of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine 2019 Research Paper of the Year Award
The Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) (2019)
- Healthcare Cost & Utilization Project, 2016 Outstanding Article of the Year Award, Policy Winner
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and AcademyHealth (2016)
- Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing
American Journal of Preventive Medicine (AJPM) (2015)
- Eastern North American Region (ENAR) International Biometric Society (2016)
- Society of Teachers in Family Medicine (STFM) (2009)
- AcademyHealth (2008)
- American Public Health Association (APHA) (2008)
- Association of American Geographers (AAG) (2004)