Dr. White is the first holder of the Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Endocrinology. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from Cornell University Medical College in New York City, he is a Professor of Pediatrics and Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at UT Southwestern. Dr. White holds undergraduate and medical degrees from Harvard University. He was a resident in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a research fellow in molecular biology at Rockefeller University. He was on the faculty at Cornell for 13 years and reached the rank of Professor of Pediatrics.
His laboratory has studied the molecular basis of several genetic diseases of steroid hormone synthesis and metabolism. Some of these diseases affect growth, sexual differentiation or the ability to conserve salt in the blood, whereas others cause high blood pressure. He is currently conducting a clinical trial of a drug that blocks sex hormone synthesis in children with one such disease, congenital adrenal hyperplasia. He conducts and collaborates on a variety of clinical and behavioral research in type 1 diabetes, including gene expression in white blood cells of children who have just been diagnosed with this disease, treatment of out of control diabetes (diabetic ketoacidosis), and psychological characteristics, such as depression, that affect control of diabetes.
Dr. White has received a number of awards and honors including the Ernst Oppenheimer Award of the Endocrine Society in 1991, the Mead-Johnson Award of the Society for Pediatric Research in 1996, and the Judson J. Van Wyk Prize from the Pediatric Endocrine Society in 2019. He has served on several advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health and several editorial boards.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1976)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1978), Pediatrics
- Rockefeller University Hospital (1980), Molecular Biology
- Genetic diseases of steroid hormone biosynthesis and metabolism
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Presentation of primary adrenal insufficiency in childhood.
- Hsieh S, White PC J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2011 Jun 96 6 E925-8
- Preliminary studies related to anti-interleukin-1ß therapy in children with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes.
- Sumpter KM, Adhikari S, Grishman EK, White PC Pediatric diabetes 2011 Apr
- Somatic items in the assessment of depressive symptoms in pediatric patients with diabetes.
- Stewart SM, Simmons A, White PC J Behav Med 2011 Apr 34 2 112-9
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia owing to 11ß-hydroxylase deficiency.
- White PC Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2011 707 7-8
- A randomized controlled trial comparing motivational interviewing in education to structured diabetes education in teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Wang YC, Stewart SM, Mackenzie M, Nakonezny PA, Edwards D, White PC Diabetes Care 2010 Aug 33 8 1741-3
- Minireview: steroidogenic factor 1: its roles in differentiation, development, and disease.
- Schimmer BP, White PC Mol. Endocrinol. 2010 Jul 24 7 1322-37
- Sitagliptin treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes does not affect CD4+ T-cell activation.
- White PC, Chamberlain-Shea H, de la Morena MT J. Diabetes Complicat. 2010 May-Jun 24 3 209-13
- Stimulated growth hormone concentrations in obese pediatric patients with mild and severe insulin resistance: a pilot study.
- Radack JA, White PC, Adams-Huet B, Oden JD J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010 Apr 23 4 355-61
- Autosomal recessive familial neurohypophyseal diabetes insipidus: onset in early infancy.
- Abu Libdeh A, Levy-Khademi F, Abdulhadi-Atwan M, Bosin E, Korner M, White PC, Zangen DH Eur. J. Endocrinol. 2010 Feb 162 2 221-6
- SCF, BDNF, and Gas6 are regulators of growth plate chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation.
- Hutchison MR, Bassett MH, White PC Mol. Endocrinol. 2010 Jan 24 1 193-203
Disorders of the Adrenal Gland. In Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th edition, Kliegman RM, Stanton B, Geme JS, Schor NF, Behrman RE, eds.
White PC (2011). Elsevier Saunders
The Syndrome of Apparent Mineralocorticoid Excess. In Genetic Diseases of the Kidney, 1st edition, Lifton RP, Somlo S, Giebisch GH, Seldin DW, eds.
White PC (2009). Elsevier
Genes and Hormones. In Textbook of Endocrine Physiology, 6th edition, Kovacs WJ, Ojeda SR, eds.
White PC (2011). Oxford University Press
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Isozymes. In Genetics of Steroid Biosynthesis and Function, 1st edition, Mason JI, ed.
White PC, Rainey WE (2002). London, Taylor & Francis
Synthesis and Metabolism of Corticosteroids; Corticosteroid Action. In Principles and Practice of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Becker KL, Rebar RW, eds.
White PC (2001). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Disorders of sexual development. In Goldman-Cecil Medicine, 25th edition, Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds.
White PC (2015). Elsevier Saunders
Endocrine Hypertension. In Pediatric Hypertension, 3rd edition, Flynn JT, Ingelfinger JR, Portman RJ, eds.
White PC (2013). New York, Springer
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Deficiency and Related Disorders. In Genetic Steroid Disorders, 1st edition, New MI, Lekarev O, Parsa A, Yuen TT, O'Malley B, Hammer GD, eds.
White PC (2013). Elsevier
Primary Adrenal Insufficiency. In Pediatric Endocrinology and Inborn Errors of Metabolism, 2nd Edition.
White PC, Sarafoglou K. (2017). McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- Judson J. Van Wyk Prize
Pediatric Endocrine Society (2019)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010) (2016) (2018)
- Mead Johnson Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1996)
- MERIT Award
National Institutes of Health (1994)
- The Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair
Pediatric Endocrinology (1994)
- Ernst Oppenheimer Award
The Endocrine Society (1991)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (1984)
- American Pediatric Society (2006)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1990)
- The Endocrine Society (1989)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1987)