Dr. White is the first holder of the Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Endocrinology. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from Cornell University Medical College in New York City, he is a Professor of Pediatrics and Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at UT Southwestern. Dr. White holds undergraduate and medical degrees from Harvard University. He was a resident in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a research fellow in molecular biology at Rockefeller University. He was on the faculty at Cornell for 13 years and reached the rank of Professor of Pediatrics.
His laboratory has studied the molecular basis of several genetic diseases of steroid hormone synthesis and metabolism. Some of these diseases affect growth, sexual differentiation or the ability to conserve salt in the blood, whereas others cause high blood pressure. He is currently conducting a clinical trial of a drug that blocks sex hormone synthesis in children with one such disease, congenital adrenal hyperplasia. He conducts and collaborates on a variety of clinical and behavioral research in type 1 diabetes, including gene expression in white blood cells of children who have just been diagnosed with this disease, treatment of out of control diabetes (diabetic ketoacidosis), and psychological characteristics, such as depression, that affect control of diabetes.
Dr. White has received a number of awards and honors including the Ernst Oppenheimer Award of the Endocrine Society in 1991, the Mead-Johnson Award of the Society for Pediatric Research in 1996, and the Judson J. Van Wyk Prize from the Pediatric Endocrine Society in 2019. He has served on several advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health and several editorial boards.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1976)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1978), Pediatrics
- Rockefeller University Hospital (1980), Molecular Biology
- Genetic diseases of steroid hormone biosynthesis and metabolism
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Age-dependent increases in adrenal cytochrome b5 and serum 5-androstenediol-3-sulfate.
- Rege J, Karashima S, Lerario AM, Smith JM, Auchus RJ, Kasa-Vubu JZ, Sasano H, Nakamura Y, White PC, Rainey WE J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2016 Sep jc20162864
- Graves' Disease in Children: Long Term Outcomes of Medical Therapy.
- Rabon S, Burton AM, White PC Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf) 2016 May
- The Relation of Questionnaire and Performance-Based Measures of Executive Functioning With Type 1 Diabetes Outcomes Among Late Adolescents.
- Suchy Y, Turner SL, Queen TL, Durracio K, Wiebe DJ, Butner J, Franchow EI, White PC, Murray MA, Swinyard M, Berg CA Health Psychol 2016 May
- Aldosterone Synthase Promoter Polymorphism and Cardiovascular Phenotypes in a Large, Multiethnic Population-Based Study.
- Byrd JB, Auchus RJ, White PC J. Investig. Med. 2015 Jul
- Optimizing fluid management of diabetic ketoacidosis.
- White PC Pediatr Diabetes 2015 Apr
- Prostacyclin regulates bone growth via the Epac/Rap1 pathway.
- Hutchison MR, White PC Endocrinology 2014 Nov en20141348
- Associations of Parent-Adolescent Relationship Quality With Type 1 Diabetes Management and Depressive Symptoms in Latino and Caucasian Youth.
- Main A, Wiebe DJ, Croom AR, Sardone K, Godbey E, Tucker C, White PC J Pediatr Psychol 2014 Aug
- Individual Differences and Day-to-Day Fluctuations in Perceived Self-Regulation Associated With Daily Adherence in Late Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Berg CA, Wiebe DJ, Suchy Y, Hughes AE, Anderson JH, Godbey EI, Butner J, Tucker C, Franchow EI, Pihlaskari AK, King PS, Murray MA, White PC J Pediatr Psychol 2014 Jul
- Fertility in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
- Reichman DE, White PC, New MI, Rosenwaks Z Fertil. Steril. 2014 Feb 101 2 301-9
- Maternal depressive symptoms predict adolescent healthcare utilization and charges in youth with Type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- Clayton KM, Stewart SM, Wiebe DJ, McConnel CE, Hughes CW, White PC Health Psychol 2013 Sep 32 9 1013-22
Disorders of the Adrenal Gland. In Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th edition, Kliegman RM, Stanton B, Geme JS, Schor NF, Behrman RE, eds.
White PC (2011). Elsevier Saunders
The Syndrome of Apparent Mineralocorticoid Excess. In Genetic Diseases of the Kidney, 1st edition, Lifton RP, Somlo S, Giebisch GH, Seldin DW, eds.
White PC (2009). Elsevier
Genes and Hormones. In Textbook of Endocrine Physiology, 6th edition, Kovacs WJ, Ojeda SR, eds.
White PC (2011). Oxford University Press
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Isozymes. In Genetics of Steroid Biosynthesis and Function, 1st edition, Mason JI, ed.
White PC, Rainey WE (2002). London, Taylor & Francis
Synthesis and Metabolism of Corticosteroids; Corticosteroid Action. In Principles and Practice of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Becker KL, Rebar RW, eds.
White PC (2001). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Disorders of sexual development. In Goldman-Cecil Medicine, 25th edition, Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds.
White PC (2015). Elsevier Saunders
Endocrine Hypertension. In Pediatric Hypertension, 3rd edition, Flynn JT, Ingelfinger JR, Portman RJ, eds.
White PC (2013). New York, Springer
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Deficiency and Related Disorders. In Genetic Steroid Disorders, 1st edition, New MI, Lekarev O, Parsa A, Yuen TT, O'Malley B, Hammer GD, eds.
White PC (2013). Elsevier
Primary Adrenal Insufficiency. In Pediatric Endocrinology and Inborn Errors of Metabolism, 2nd Edition.
White PC, Sarafoglou K. (2017). McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- Judson J. Van Wyk Prize
Pediatric Endocrine Society (2019)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010) (2016) (2018)
- Mead Johnson Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1996)
- MERIT Award
National Institutes of Health (1994)
- The Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair
Pediatric Endocrinology (1994)
- Ernst Oppenheimer Award
The Endocrine Society (1991)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (1984)
- American Pediatric Society (2006)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1990)
- The Endocrine Society (1989)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1987)