Dr. White is the first holder of the Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Endocrinology. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from Cornell University Medical College in New York City, he is a Professor of Pediatrics and directs the pediatric endocrinology program at UT Southwestern. Dr. White holds undergraduate and medical degrees from Harvard University. He was a resident in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a research fellow in molecular biology at Rockefeller University. He was on the faculty at Cornell for 13 years and reached the rank of Professor of Pediatrics.
His laboratory has studied the molecular basis of several genetic diseases of steroid hormone synthesis and metabolism. Some of these diseases affect growth, sexual differentiation or the ability to conserve salt in the blood, whereas others cause high blood pressure. He is currently conducting a clinical trial of a drug that blocks sex hormone synthesis in children with one such disease, congenital adrenal hyperplasia. He conducts and collaborates on a variety of clinical and behavioral research in type 1 diabetes, including gene expression in white blood cells of children who have just been diagnosed with this disease, treatment of out of control diabetes (diabetic ketoacidosis), and psychological characteristics, such as depression, that affect control of diabetes.
Dr. White has received a number of awards and honors including the Ernst Oppenheimer Award of the Endocrine Society in 1991, the Mead-Johnson Award of the Society for Pediatric Research in 1996, and the Judson J. Van Wyk Prize from the Pediatric Endocrine Society in 2019. He has served on several advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health and several editorial boards.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1976)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1978), Pediatrics
- Rockefeller University Hospital (1980), Molecular Biology
- Genetic diseases of steroid hormone biosynthesis and metabolism
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Human hypertension caused by mutations in the kidney isozyme of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase.
- Mune T, Rogerson FM, Nikkilä H, Agarwal AK, White PC Nat. Genet. 1995 Aug 10 4 394-9
- Glucocorticoid-suppressible hyperaldosteronism results from hybrid genes created by unequal crossovers between CYP11B1 and CYP11B2.
- Pascoe L, Curnow KM, Slutsker L, Connell JM, Speiser PW, New MI, White PC Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1992 Sep 89 17 8327-31
- Disease expression and molecular genotype in congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency.
- Speiser PW, Dupont J, Zhu D, Serrat J, Buegeleisen M, Tusie-Luna MT, Lesser M, New MI, White PC J. Clin. Invest. 1992 Aug 90 2 584-95
- The product of the CYP11B2 gene is required for aldosterone biosynthesis in the human adrenal cortex.
- Curnow KM, Tusie-Luna MT, Pascoe L, Natarajan R, Gu JL, Nadler JL, White PC Mol. Endocrinol. 1991 Oct 5 10 1513-22
- Structure of human steroid 21-hydroxylase genes.
- White PC, New MI, Dupont B Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1986 Jul 83 14 5111-5
- DNA Polymerase Epsilon Deficiency Causes IMAGe Syndrome with Variable Immunodeficiency.
- Logan CV, Murray JE, Parry DA, Robertson A, Bellelli R, Tarnauskaite Ž, Challis R, Cleal L, Borel V, Fluteau A, Santoyo-Lopez J, Aitman T, Barroso I, Basel D, Bicknell LS, Goel H, Hu H, Huff C, Hutchison M, Joyce C, Knox R, Lacroix AE, Langlois S, McCandless S, McCarrier J, Metcalfe KA, Morrissey R, Murphy N, Netchine I, O'Connell SM, Olney AH, Paria N, Rosenfeld JA, Sherlock M, Syverson E, White PC, Wise C, Yu Y, Zacharin M, Banerjee I, Reijns M, Bober MB, Semple RK, Boulton SJ, Rios JJ, Jackson AP Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2018 Dec 103 6 1038-1044
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Due to Steroid 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline.
- Speiser PW, Arlt W, Auchus RJ, Baskin LS, Conway GS, Merke DP, Meyer-Bahlburg HFL, Miller WL, Murad MH, Oberfield SE, White PC J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018 Nov 103 11 4043-4088
- Fluid Infusion Rates for Pediatric Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- White PC N. Engl. J. Med. 2018 Sep 379 12 1182-3
- Executive Function Predicting Longitudinal Change in Type 1 Diabetes Management During the Transition to Emerging Adulthood.
- Berg CA, Wiebe DJ, Suchy Y, Turner SL, Butner J, Munion A, Lansing AH, White PC, Murray M Diabetes Care 2018 Aug
- 11-ketotestosterone is the dominant circulating bioactive androgen during normal and premature adrenarche.
- Rege J, Turcu A, Kasa-Vubu JZ, Lerario AM, Auchus GC, Auchus RJ, Smith JM, White PC, Rainey WE J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018 Aug
Disorders of the Adrenal Gland. In Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 19th edition, Kliegman RM, Stanton B, Geme JS, Schor NF, Behrman RE, eds.
White PC (2011). Elsevier Saunders
The Syndrome of Apparent Mineralocorticoid Excess. In Genetic Diseases of the Kidney, 1st edition, Lifton RP, Somlo S, Giebisch GH, Seldin DW, eds.
White PC (2009). Elsevier
Genes and Hormones. In Textbook of Endocrine Physiology, 6th edition, Kovacs WJ, Ojeda SR, eds.
White PC (2011). Oxford University Press
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Isozymes. In Genetics of Steroid Biosynthesis and Function, 1st edition, Mason JI, ed.
White PC, Rainey WE (2002). London, Taylor & Francis
Synthesis and Metabolism of Corticosteroids; Corticosteroid Action. In Principles and Practice of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Becker KL, Rebar RW, eds.
White PC (2001). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Disorders of sexual development. In Goldman-Cecil Medicine, 25th edition, Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds.
White PC (2015). Elsevier Saunders
Endocrine Hypertension. In Pediatric Hypertension, 3rd edition, Flynn JT, Ingelfinger JR, Portman RJ, eds.
White PC (2013). New York, Springer
Steroid 11ß-Hydroxylase Deficiency and Related Disorders. In Genetic Steroid Disorders, 1st edition, New MI, Lekarev O, Parsa A, Yuen TT, O'Malley B, Hammer GD, eds.
White PC (2013). Elsevier
Primary Adrenal Insufficiency. In Pediatric Endocrinology and Inborn Errors of Metabolism, 2nd Edition.
White PC, Sarafoglou K. (2017). McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- Judson J. Van Wyk Prize
Pediatric Endocrine Society (2019)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010) (2016) (2018)
- Mead Johnson Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1996)
- MERIT Award
National Institutes of Health (1994)
- The Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair
Pediatric Endocrinology (1994)
- Ernst Oppenheimer Award
The Endocrine Society (1991)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (1984)
- American Pediatric Society (2006)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1990)
- The Endocrine Society (1989)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1987)