Charles L. White, III, M.D., is Professor of Pathology and holds the Nancy R. McCune Distinguished Chair in Alzheimer Disease Research. He has been the Director of Neuropathology at UT Southwestern since completing his residency and fellowship training in anatomic pathology and neuropathology at Johns Hopkins in 1983.
Dr. White’s clinical and research interests focus on neurodegenerative brain disorders. He has been the director of the Neuropathology Core of the UT Southwestern Alzheimer Disease Research Center since its inception in 1988. He also directs the Winspear Family Special Center for Research on the Neuropathology of Alzheimer's Disease, established at UT Southwestern in 2002 by a generous gift from the Bill and Margot Winspear Family.
Dr. White is the Training Director for the Neuropathology Fellowship program at UT Southwestern, an ACGME-accredited, 2-year training program. Twenty-two trainees have completed the program and become board certified by the American Board of Pathology in the subspecialty of Neuropathology.
Dr. White is past president of the American Association of Neuropathologists, the national professional organization for neuropathologists in the US. In 2020, he received its annual Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Med. (1978)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1979), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1981), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983), Neuropathology
- Alzheimer disease
- Digital and quantitative neuropathology
- Forensic neuropathology
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Tissue microarray technology
- A Distinct Class of Antibodies May Be an Indicator of Gray Matter Autoimmunity in Early and Established Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Patients.
- Ligocki AJ, Rivas JR, Rounds WH, Guzman AA, Li M, Spadaro M, Lahey L, Chen D, Henson PM, Graves D, Greenberg BM, Frohman EM, Sally Ward E, Robinson W, Meinl E, White CL, Stowe AM, Monson NL ASN Neuro 2015 Oct 7 5
- Atypical multiple system atrophy is a new subtype of frontotemporal lobar degeneration: frontotemporal lobar degeneration associated with a-synuclein.
- Aoki N, Boyer PJ, Lund C, Lin WL, Koga S, Ross OA, Weiner M, Lipton A, Powers JM, White CL, Dickson DW Acta Neuropathol. 2015 Jul 130 1 93-105
- Genome-wide association study of corticobasal degeneration identifies risk variants shared with progressive supranuclear palsy.
- Kouri N, Ross OA, Dombroski B, Younkin CS, Serie DJ, Soto-Ortolaza A, Baker M, Finch NC, Yoon H, Kim J, Fujioka S, McLean CA, Ghetti B, Spina S, Cantwell LB, Farlow MR, Grafman J, Huey ED, Ryung Han M, Beecher S, Geller ET, Kretzschmar HA, Roeber S, Gearing M, Juncos JL, Vonsattel JP, Van Deerlin VM, Grossman M, Hurtig HI, Gross RG, Arnold SE, Trojanowski JQ, Lee VM, Wenning GK, White CL, Höglinger GU, Müller U, Devlin B, Golbe LI, Crook J, Parisi JE, Boeve BF, Josephs KA, Wszolek ZK, Uitti RJ, Graff-Radford NR, Litvan I, Younkin SG, Wang LS, Ertekin-Taner N, Rademakers R, Hakonarsen H, Schellenberg GD, Dickson DW Nat Commun 2015 6 7247
- Genetic modifiers in carriers of repeat expansions in the C9ORF72 gene.
- van Blitterswijk M, Mullen B, Wojtas A, Heckman MG, Diehl NN, Baker MC, DeJesus-Hernandez M, Brown PH, Murray ME, Hsiung GY, Stewart H, Karydas AM, Finger E, Kertesz A, Bigio EH, Weintraub S, Mesulam M, Hatanpaa KJ, White CL, Neumann M, Strong MJ, Beach TG, Wszolek ZK, Lippa C, Caselli R, Petrucelli L, Josephs KA, Parisi JE, Knopman DS, Petersen RC, Mackenzie IR, Seeley WW, Grinberg LT, Miller BL, Boylan KB, Graff-Radford NR, Boeve BF, Dickson DW, Rademakers R Mol Neurodegener 2014 Sep 9 1 38
- Does past or present depression differentiate Lewy body from Alzheimer disease?
- Falkowski J, Hynan LS, Womack KB, Hatanpaa KJ, White CL, Weiner MF Int Psychogeriatr 2014 Sep 1-2
- Ataxin-2 as potential disease modifier in C9ORF72 expansion carriers.
- van Blitterswijk M, Mullen B, Heckman MG, Baker MC, DeJesus-Hernandez M, Brown PH, Murray ME, Hsiung GY, Stewart H, Karydas AM, Finger E, Kertesz A, Bigio EH, Weintraub S, Mesulam M, Hatanpaa KJ, White CL, Neumann M, Strong MJ, Beach TG, Wszolek ZK, Lippa C, Caselli R, Petrucelli L, Josephs KA, Parisi JE, Knopman DS, Petersen RC, Mackenzie IR, Seeley WW, Grinberg LT, Miller BL, Boylan KB, Graff-Radford NR, Boeve BF, Dickson DW, Rademakers R Neurobiol. Aging 2014 May
- Hippocampal sclerosis in dementia, epilepsy, and ischemic injury: differential vulnerability of hippocampal subfields.
- Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen JM, Herndon E, Burns DK, Foong C, Habib AA, White CL J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2014 Feb 73 2 136-42
- Globular glial tauopathies (GGT): consensus recommendations.
- Ahmed Z, Bigio EH, Budka H, Dickson DW, Ferrer I, Ghetti B, Giaccone G, Hatanpaa KJ, Holton JL, Josephs KA, Powers J, Spina S, Takahashi H, White CL, Revesz T, Kovacs GG Acta Neuropathol. 2013 Oct 126 4 537-44
- Genetic and clinical features of progranulin-associated frontotemporal lobar degeneration.
- Chen-Plotkin AS, Martinez-Lage M, Sleiman PM, Hu W, Greene R, Wood EM, Bing S, Grossman M, Schellenberg GD, Hatanpaa KJ, Weiner MF, White CL, Brooks WS, Halliday GM, Kril JJ, Gearing M, Beach TG, Graff-Radford NR, Dickson DW, Rademakers R, Boeve BF, Pickering-Brown SM, Snowden J, van Swieten JC, Heutink P, Seelaar H, Murrell JR, Ghetti B, Spina S, Grafman J, Kaye JA, Woltjer RL, Mesulam M, Bigio E, Lladó A, Miller BL, Alzualde A, Moreno F, Rohrer JD, Mackenzie IR, Feldman HH, Hamilton RL, Cruts M, Engelborghs S, De Deyn PP, Van Broeckhoven C, Bird TD, Cairns NJ, Goate A, Frosch MP, Riederer PF, Bogdanovic N, Lee VM, Trojanowski JQ, Van Deerlin VM Arch. Neurol. 2011 Apr 68 4 488-97
- Evaluation of alpha-synuclein immunohistochemical methods used by invited experts.
- Beach TG, White CL, Hamilton RL, Duda JE, Iwatsubo T, Dickson DW, Leverenz JB, Roncaroli F, Buttini M, Hladik CL, Sue LI, Noorigian JV, Adler CH Acta Neuropathol. 2008 Sep 116 3 277-88
Honors & Awards
- Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology, American Association of Neuropathologists
- President, American Association of Neuropathologists
- Best Doctors in America, 2003-2020
- Manuscript of the Year Award, ASCP
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Digital Pathology Association (2015)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2001)
- Society for Neuroscience (1990)
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (1984)
- The Histochemical Society (1984)
- American Association of Neuropathologists (1983)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (1981)