Charles L. White, III, M.D., is Professor of Pathology and holds the Nancy R. McCune Distinguished Chair in Alzheimer Disease Research. He has been the Director of Neuropathology at UT Southwestern since completing his residency and fellowship training in anatomic pathology and neuropathology at Johns Hopkins in 1983.
Dr. White’s clinical and research interests focus on neurodegenerative brain disorders. He has been the director of the Neuropathology Core of the UT Southwestern Alzheimer Disease Research Center since its inception in 1988. He also directs the Winspear Family Special Center for Research on the Neuropathology of Alzheimer's Disease, established at UT Southwestern in 2002 by a generous gift from the Bill and Margot Winspear Family.
Dr. White is the Training Director for the Neuropathology Fellowship program at UT Southwestern, an ACGME-accredited, 2-year training program. Twenty-two trainees have completed the program and become board certified by the American Board of Pathology in the subspecialty of Neuropathology.
Dr. White is past president of the American Association of Neuropathologists, the national professional organization for neuropathologists in the US. In 2020, he received its annual Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Med. (1978)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1979), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1981), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983), Neuropathology
- Alzheimer disease
- Digital and quantitative neuropathology
- Forensic neuropathology
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Tissue microarray technology
- Diffuse microvascular C5b-9 deposition is a common feature in muscle and nerve biopsies from diabetic patients.
- Yell PC, Burns DK, Dittmar EG, White CL, Cai C Acta Neuropathol Commun 2018 Feb 6 1 11
- Adult Brainstem Gliomas With H3K27M Mutation: Radiology, Pathology, and Prognosis.
- Daoud EV, Rajaram V, Cai C, Oberle RJ, Martin GR, Raisanen JM, White CL, Foong C, Mickey BE, Pan E, Hatanpaa KJ J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2018 Feb
- Traumatic Brain Injury History Is Associated With an Earlier Age of Dementia Onset in Autopsy-Confirmed Alzheimer's Disease.
- Schaffert J, LoBue C, White CL, Chiang HS, Didehbani N, Lacritz L, Rossetti H, Dieppa M, Hart J, Cullum CM Neuropsychology 2018 Feb
- Aggressive Behavior in Silent Subtype III Pituitary Adenomas May Depend on Suppression of Local Immune Response: A Whole Transcriptome Analysis.
- Richardson TE, Shen ZJ, Kanchwala M, Xing C, Filatenkov A, Shang P, Barnett S, Abedin Z, Malter JS, Raisanen JM, Burns DK, White CL, Hatanpaa KJ J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Oct 76 10 874-882
- Multisite Assessment of Aging-Related Tau Astrogliopathy (ARTAG).
- Kovacs GG, Xie SX, Lee EB, Robinson JL, Caswell C, Irwin DJ, Toledo JB, Johnson VE, Smith DH, Alafuzoff I, Attems J, Bencze J, Bieniek KF, Bigio EH, Bodi I, Budka H, Dickson DW, Dugger BN, Duyckaerts C, Ferrer I, Forrest SL, Gelpi E, Gentleman SM, Giaccone G, Grinberg LT, Halliday GM, Hatanpaa KJ, Hof PR, Hofer M, Hortobágyi T, Ironside JW, King A, Kofler J, Kövari E, Kril JJ, Love S, Mackenzie IR, Mao Q, Matej R, McLean C, Munoz DG, Murray ME, Neltner J, Nelson PT, Ritchie D, Rodriguez RD, Rohan Z, Rozemuller A, Sakai K, Schultz C, Seilhean D, Smith V, Tacik P, Takahashi H, Takao M, Rudolf Thal D, Weis S, Wharton SB, White CL, Woulfe JM, Yamada M, Trojanowski JQ J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Jun
- Morin Stain Detects Aluminum-Containing Macrophages in Macrophagic Myofasciitis and Vaccination Granuloma With High Sensitivity and Specificity.
- Chkheidze R, Burns DK, White CL, Castro D, Fuller J, Cai C J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Mar
- Correlation between facial nerve axonal load and age and its relevance to facial reanimation.
- Hembd A, Nagarkar P, Perez J, Gassman A, Tolley P, Reisch J, White CL, Rozen S Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2017 Feb
- Facial Nerve Axonal Analysis and Anatomic Localization in Donor Nerve: Optimizing Axonal Load for Cross Facial Nerve Grafting in Facial Reanimation.
- Hembd A, Nagarkar PA, Saba S, Wan D, Kutz JW, Isaacson B, Gupta S, White CL, Rohrich RJ, Rozen SM Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2016 Sep
- Clinical Outcome of Silent Subtype III Pituitary Adenomas Diagnosed by Immunohistochemistry.
- Richardson TE, Mathis DA, Mickey BE, Raisanen JM, Burns DK, White CL, Hatanpaa KJ J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2015 Dec 74 12 1170-7
- Aging-related tau astrogliopathy (ARTAG): harmonized evaluation strategy.
- Kovacs GG, Ferrer I, Grinberg LT, Alafuzoff I, Attems J, Budka H, Cairns NJ, Crary JF, Duyckaerts C, Ghetti B, Halliday GM, Ironside JW, Love S, Mackenzie IR, Munoz DG, Murray ME, Nelson PT, Takahashi H, Trojanowski JQ, Ansorge O, Arzberger T, Baborie A, Beach TG, Bieniek KF, Bigio EH, Bodi I, Dugger BN, Feany M, Gelpi E, Gentleman SM, Giaccone G, Hatanpaa KJ, Heale R, Hof PR, Hofer M, Hortobágyi T, Jellinger K, Jicha GA, Ince P, Kofler J, Kövari E, Kril JJ, Mann DM, Matej R, McKee AC, McLean C, Milenkovic I, Montine TJ, Murayama S, Lee EB, Rahimi J, Rodriguez RD, Rozemüller A, Schneider JA, Schultz C, Seeley W, Seilhean D, Smith C, Tagliavini F, Takao M, Thal DR, Toledo JB, Tolnay M, Troncoso JC, Vinters HV, Weis S, Wharton SB, White CL, Wisniewski T, Woulfe JM, Yamada M, Dickson DW Acta Neuropathol. 2015 Dec
Honors & Awards
- Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology, American Association of Neuropathologists
- President, American Association of Neuropathologists
- Best Doctors in America, 2003-2020
- Manuscript of the Year Award, ASCP
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Digital Pathology Association (2015)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2001)
- Society for Neuroscience (1990)
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (1984)
- The Histochemical Society (1984)
- American Association of Neuropathologists (1983)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (1981)