Charles L. White, III, M.D., is Professor of Pathology and holds the Nancy R. McCune Distinguished Chair in Alzheimer Disease Research. He has been the Director of Neuropathology at UT Southwestern since completing his residency and fellowship training in anatomic pathology and neuropathology at Johns Hopkins in 1983.
Dr. White’s clinical and research interests focus on neurodegenerative brain disorders. He has been the director of the Neuropathology Core of the UT Southwestern Alzheimer Disease Research Center since its inception in 1988. He also directs the Winspear Family Special Center for Research on the Neuropathology of Alzheimer's Disease, established at UT Southwestern in 2002 by a generous gift from the Bill and Margot Winspear Family.
Dr. White is the Training Director for the Neuropathology Fellowship program at UT Southwestern, an ACGME-accredited, 2-year training program. Twenty-two trainees have completed the program and become board certified by the American Board of Pathology in the subspecialty of Neuropathology.
Dr. White is past president of the American Association of Neuropathologists, the national professional organization for neuropathologists in the US. In 2020, he received its annual Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Med. (1978)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1979), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1981), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983), Neuropathology
- Alzheimer disease
- Digital and quantitative neuropathology
- Forensic neuropathology
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Tissue microarray technology
- Limbic-predominant age-related TDP-43 encephalopathy (LATE): consensus working group report.
- Nelson PT, Dickson DW, Trojanowski JQ, Jack CR, Boyle PA, Arfanakis K, Rademakers R, Alafuzoff I, Attems J, Brayne C, Coyle-Gilchrist ITS, Chui HC, Fardo DW, Flanagan ME, Halliday G, Hokkanen SRK, Hunter S, Jicha GA, Katsumata Y, Kawas CH, Keene CD, Kovacs GG, Kukull WA, Levey AI, Makkinejad N, Montine TJ, Murayama S, Murray ME, Nag S, Rissman RA, Seeley WW, Sperling RA, White Iii CL, Yu L, Schneider JA, Brain 2019 Apr
- Artificial intelligence in neuropathology: deep learning-based assessment of tauopathy.
- Signaevsky M, Prastawa M, Farrell K, Tabish N, Baldwin E, Han N, Iida MA, Koll J, Bryce C, Purohit D, Haroutunian V, McKee AC, Stein TD, White CL, Walker J, Richardson TE, Hanson R, Donovan MJ, Cordon-Cardo C, Zeineh J, Fernandez G, Crary JF Lab. Invest. 2019 Feb
- Lipidomic and Transcriptomic Basis of Lysosomal Dysfunction in Progranulin Deficiency.
- Evers BM, Rodriguez-Navas C, Tesla RJ, Prange-Kiel J, Wasser CR, Yoo KS, McDonald J, Cenik B, Ravenscroft TA, Plattner F, Rademakers R, Yu G, White CL, Herz J Cell Rep 2017 Sep 20 11 2565-2574
- Widespread tau seeding activity at early Braak stages.
- Furman JL, Vaquer-Alicea J, White CL, Cairns NJ, Nelson PT, Diamond MI Acta Neuropathol. 2016 Nov
- Primary age-related tauopathy (PART): a common pathology associated with human aging.
- Crary JF, Trojanowski JQ, Schneider JA, Abisambra JF, Abner EL, Alafuzoff I, Arnold SE, Attems J, Beach TG, Bigio EH, Cairns NJ, Dickson DW, Gearing M, Grinberg LT, Hof PR, Hyman BT, Jellinger K, Jicha GA, Kovacs GG, Knopman DS, Kofler J, Kukull WA, Mackenzie IR, Masliah E, McKee A, Montine TJ, Murray ME, Neltner JH, Santa-Maria I, Seeley WW, Serrano-Pozo A, Shelanski ML, Stein T, Takao M, Thal DR, Toledo JB, Troncoso JC, Vonsattel JP, White CL, Wisniewski T, Woltjer RL, Yamada M, Nelson PT Acta Neuropathol. 2014 Oct
- The role of cortical connectivity in Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis: a review and model system.
- De Lacoste MC, White CL Neurobiol. Aging 1993 Jan-Feb 14 1 1-16
- Brain interleukin 1 and S-100 immunoreactivity are elevated in Down syndrome and Alzheimer disease.
- Griffin WS, Stanley LC, Ling C, White L, MacLeod V, Perrot LJ, White CL, Araoz C Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1989 Oct 86 19 7611-5
- Early Selective Vulnerability of the CA2 Hippocampal Subfield in Primary Age-Related Tauopathy.
- Walker JM, Richardson TE, Farrell K, Iida MA, Foong C, Shang P, Attems J, Ayalon G, Beach TG, Bigio EH, Budson A, Cairns NJ, Corrada M, Cortes E, Dickson DW, Fischer P, Flanagan ME, Franklin E, Gearing M, Glass J, Hansen LA, Haroutunuan V, Hof PR, Honig L, Kawas C, Keene CD, Kofler J, Kovacs GG, Lee EB, Lutz MI, Mao Q, Masliah E, McKee AC, McMillan CT, Mesulam MM, Murray M, Nelson PT, Perrin R, Pham T, Poon W, Purohit DP, Rissman RA, Sakai K, Sano M, Schneider JA, Stein TD, Teich AF, Trojanowski JQ, Troncoso JC, Vonsattel JP, Weintraub S, Wolk DA, Woltjer RL, Yamada M, Yu L, White CL, Crary JF, J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2020 Dec
- In vivo distribution of a-synuclein in multiple tissues and biofluids in Parkinson disease.
- Chahine LM, Beach TG, Brumm MC, Adler CH, Coffey CS, Mosovsky S, Caspell-Garcia C, Serrano GE, Munoz DG, White CL, Crary JF, Jennings D, Taylor P, Foroud T, Arnedo V, Kopil CM, Riley L, Dave KD, Mollenhauer B, Neurology 2020 Sep 95 9 e1267-e1284
- Aggressive FUS-Mutant Motor Neuron Disease Without Profound Spinal Cord Pathology.
- Wongworawat YC, Liu YA, Raghavan R, White CL, Dietz R, Zuppan C, Rosenfeld J, J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2020 Apr 79 4 365-369
Honors & Awards
- Award for Meritorious Contributions to Neuropathology, American Association of Neuropathologists
- President, American Association of Neuropathologists
- Best Doctors in America, 2003-2020
- Manuscript of the Year Award, ASCP
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Association of Neuropathologists (1983)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2001)
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (1984)
- Digital Pathology Association (2015)
- Society for Neuroscience (1990)
- The Histochemical Society (1984)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (1981)