Charles L. White, III, M.D., is Professor of Pathology and holds the Nancy R. McCune Distinguished Chair in Alzheimer Disease Research. He has been the Director of Neuropathology at UT Southwestern since completing his residency and fellowship training in anatomic pathology and neuropathology at Johns Hopkins in 1983.
Dr. White’s clinical and research interests focus on neurodegenerative brain disorders. He has been the director of the Neuropathology Core of the UT Southwestern Alzheimer Disease Center, funded by the National Institute on Aging, since its inception in 1988. He also directs the Winspear Family Special Center for Research on the Neuropathology of Alzheimer's Disease, established at UT Southwestern in 2002 by a generous gift from the Bill and Margot Winspear Family.
Dr. White is the Training Director for the Neuropathology Fellowship program at UT Southwestern, an ACGME-accredited, 2-year training program. Fifteen trainees have completed the program and become board certified by the American Board of Pathology in the subspecialty of Neuropathology.
Dr. White is past president of the American Association of Neuropathologists, the national professional organization for neuropathologists in the US.
- Medical School
- University of Arizona College of Med. (1978)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1979), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (1981), Pathology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983), Neuropathology
- Alzheimer disease
- Digital and quantitative neuropathology
- Forensic neuropathology
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Tissue microarray technology
- The role of cortical connectivity in Alzheimer’s disease pathogenesis: a review and model system
- de Lacoste MC, White CL III Neurobiol Aging 1993 14 1-16
- Brain interleukin 1 and S-100 immunoreactivity are elevated in Down syndrome and Alzheimer disease
- Griffin WS, Stanley LC, Ling C, White L, MacLeod V, Perrot LJ, White CL, Araoz C Proc Natl Acad Sci USA October 1989 86 7611-7615
- Alzheimer’s disease: neurofibrillary tangles in nuclei that project to the cerebral cortex
- German DC, White CL III, Sparkman DR Neuroscience 1987 21 305-312
- Neuronal pathology in the nucleus basalis and associated cell groups in senile dementia of the Alzheimer type: possible role in cell loss
- Saper CB, German DC, White CL III Neurology 1985 35 1089-1095
- Basal forebrain neurons in the dementia of Parkinson disease
- Whitehouse PJ, Hedreen JC, White CL III, Price DL Ann Neurol 1983 13 243-248
- Atypical multiple system atrophy is a new subtype of frontotemporal lobar degeneration: frontotemporal lobar degeneration associated with a-synuclein.
- Aoki N, Boyer PJ, Lund C, Lin WL, Koga S, Ross OA, Weiner M, Lipton A, Powers JM, White CL, Dickson DW Acta Neuropathol. 2015 Jul 130 1 93-105
- Primary age-related tauopathy (PART): a common pathology associated with human aging.
- Crary JF, Trojanowski JQ, Schneider JA, Abisambra JF, Abner EL, Alafuzoff I, Arnold SE, Attems J, Beach TG, Bigio EH, Cairns NJ, Dickson DW, Gearing M, Grinberg LT, Hof PR, Hyman BT, Jellinger K, Jicha GA, Kovacs GG, Knopman DS, Kofler J, Kukull WA, Mackenzie IR, Masliah E, McKee A, Montine TJ, Murray ME, Neltner JH, Santa-Maria I, Seeley WW, Serrano-Pozo A, Shelanski ML, Stein T, Takao M, Thal DR, Toledo JB, Troncoso JC, Vonsattel JP, White CL, Wisniewski T, Woltjer RL, Yamada M, Nelson PT Acta Neuropathol. 2014 Oct
- Hippocampal sclerosis in dementia, epilepsy, and ischemic injury: differential vulnerability of hippocampal subfields.
- Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen JM, Herndon E, Burns DK, Foong C, Habib AA, White CL J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2014 Feb 73 2 136-42
- Globular glial tauopathies (GGT): consensus recommendations.
- Ahmed Z, Bigio EH, Budka H, Dickson DW, Ferrer I, Ghetti B, Giaccone G, Hatanpaa KJ, Holton JL, Josephs KA, Powers J, Spina S, Takahashi H, White CL, Revesz T, Kovacs GG Acta Neuropathol. 2013 Oct 126 4 537-44
- Genetic and clinical features of progranulin-associated frontotemporal lobar degeneration.
- Chen-Plotkin AS, Martinez-Lage M, Sleiman PM, Hu W, Greene R, Wood EM, Bing S, Grossman M, Schellenberg GD, Hatanpaa KJ, Weiner MF, White CL, Brooks WS, Halliday GM, Kril JJ, Gearing M, Beach TG, Graff-Radford NR, Dickson DW, Rademakers R, Boeve BF, Pickering-Brown SM, Snowden J, van Swieten JC, Heutink P, Seelaar H, Murrell JR, Ghetti B, Spina S, Grafman J, Kaye JA, Woltjer RL, Mesulam M, Bigio E, Lladó A, Miller BL, Alzualde A, Moreno F, Rohrer JD, Mackenzie IR, Feldman HH, Hamilton RL, Cruts M, Engelborghs S, De Deyn PP, Van Broeckhoven C, Bird TD, Cairns NJ, Goate A, Frosch MP, Riederer PF, Bogdanovic N, Lee VM, Trojanowski JQ, Van Deerlin VM Arch. Neurol. 2011 Apr 68 4 488-97
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in America, 2015-2016
- Best Doctors in America, 2013-2014
- President, American Association of Neuropathologists
- Best Doctors in America, 2001-2012
- Best Doctors in America, 2009-2010
- Best Doctors in America, 2007-2008
- Best Doctors in America, 2005-2006
- Best Doctors in America, 2003-2004
- Manuscript of the Year Award, ASCP
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2001)
- Society for Neuroscience (1990)
- American Society for Investigative Pathology (1984)
- The Histochemical Society (1984)
- American Association of Neuropathologists (1983)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (1981)