Claudia Werner, M.D., is a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and member of the Department's Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology. Since 2001, she has been the Medical Director for Gynecology Dysplasia Services at Parkland Health and Hospital System where she also mentors medical students and residents. She is also Medical Director of Community Gynecology at Parkland, which provides comprehensive gynecology services in various Parkland community clinics.
Born in New Haven, Connecticut, Dr. Werner graduated from Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts with a Bachelor's degree in Biology in 1977. In 1981, she earned her M.D. degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Following an internship and residency at St. Joseph Hospital in Houston (1981-1983), she completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Tufts University Affiliated Hospitals in Boston in 1986. She joined the Tufts University School of Medicine faculty briefly before coming to UT Southwestern in 1989. Working her way up through the ranks, she was promoted to Professor in 2013.
Board certified in obstetrics and gynecology, Dr. Werner is a contributing author to the Williams Gynecology textbook. Her peer-reviewed articles and lectures cover topics like human papillomavirus-related disease, cervical cancer screening, colposcopy standards, and the management of abnormal cervical cytology and histology.
She is a Fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology for which she has served on multiple clinical practice committees.
- Medical School
- UT Health Science Center McGovern Medical School (1981)
- St. Joseph's Hospital (1983), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Tufts University Affiliated Hospitals (1986), Obstetrics & Gynecology
- HPV infections in women
- Lower genital tract neoplasia, screening and management
- ASCCP Colposcopy Standards: Role of Colposcopy, Benefits, Potential Harms, and Terminology for Colposcopic Practice.
- Khan MJ, Werner CL, Darragh TM, Guido RS, Mathews C, Moscicki AB, Mitchell MM, Schiffman M, Wentzensen N, Massad LS, Mayeaux EJ, Waxman AG, Conageski C, Einstein MH, Huh WK J Low Genit Tract Dis 2017 Oct 21 4 223-229
- Evidence-Based Consensus Recommendations for Colposcopy Practice for Cervical Cancer Prevention in the United States.
- Wentzensen N, Massad LS, Mayeaux EJ, Khan MJ, Waxman AG, Einstein MH, Conageski C, Schiffman MH, Gold MA, Apgar BS, Chelmow D, Choma KK, Darragh TM, Gage JC, Garcia FAR, Guido RS, Jeronimo JA, Liu A, Mathews CA, Mitchell MM, Moscicki AB, Novetsky AP, Papasozomenos T, Perkins RB, Silver MI, Smith KM, Stier EA, Tedeschi CA, Werner CL, Huh WK J Low Genit Tract Dis 2017 Oct 21 4 216-222
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure and risk of preterm birth.
- Werner CL, Lo JY, Heffernan T, Griffith WF, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ Obstet Gynecol 2010 Mar 115 3 605-8
- Comparison of human papilloma virus testing and spectroscopy combined with cervical cytology for the detection of high-grade cervical neoplasia.
- Werner CL, Griffith WF, Ashfaq R, Gossett D, Wilkinson E, Raab S, Bambot S, Mongin D, Faupel M J Low Genit Tract Dis 2007 Apr 11 2 73-9
- Cervical Cancer Burden and Opportunities for Prevention in a Safety-net Healthcare System.
- Pruitt SL, Werner CL, Borton EK, Sanders JM, Balasubramanian BA, Barnes A, Betts AC, Skinner CS, Tiro JA Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2018 Sep
- Off-label high-risk HPV DNA testing of vaginal ASC-US and LSIL cytologic abnormalities at Parkland hospital.
- Chappell CA, West AM, Kabbani W, Werner CL J Low Genit Tract Dis 2010 Oct 14 4 352-5
Preinvasive Lesions of the Lower Anogenital Tract. In Williams Gynecology, 4th Edition; (Hoffman BL, Schorge JO, Halvorson LM, Hamid CA, Corton MM, Schaffer JI, eds.)
Werner CL, Griffith WF (2020). New York, McGraw-Hill Education, Ch. 29, p. 620-653
- Williams Gynecology 2nd Edition Study Guide
Werner CL, Moschos E, Griffith WF, Beshay VE, Rahn DD, Riichardson DL, Hoffman BL (2012). New York, McGraw-Hill
- American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Texas Association of Obstetrics and Gynecology