Jonathan Weissler, M.D.
Internal Medicine Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs, UT Southwestern University Hospitals
Endowed Title James M. Collins Professorship in Biomedical Research
Department Internal Medicine
Graduate Programs Immunology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Jonathan Weissler, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and holds the James M. Collins Professorship in Biomedical Research. He is the Chief of Medicine for UT Southwestern University Hospitals.
Dr. Weissler earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine and completed his residency and fellowship in pulmonary diseases at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1985.
His areas of clinical expertise include pulmonology and critical care medicine. In his role as Chief of Medicine, Dr. Weissler supervises the housestaff, residents, and medical students at UT Southwestern University Hospitals. In his career, he has served as Chief of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Director of Respiratory Therapy at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Dr. Weissler is active in training the next generation of pulmonary and critical care doctors through UT Southwestern's academic programs.
Among many honors and awards, Dr. Weissler has been recognized as a Best Doctor by D Magazine and a Super Doctor by Texas Monthly.
- Medical School
- New York University School of Medicine (1979)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1982), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Pulmonary Diseases
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Severe Asthma
- Transcriptional Regulation of Surfactant proteins
- PLAGL-2, a zinc finger protein,transactivates the surfactant protein-C promoter
- M.C. Yang, J.C. Weissler, L.S. Terada, F. Deng, and Y.S. Yang Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol January 2005 32(1) 35-43
- Alloantigen-induced immunoglobulin production in human lung: Differential effect of accessory cell subpopulations on IgG synthesis
- Wilkes D.S. and J.C. Weissler Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol November 1994 10 339-46
- Effect of interstitial lung disease macrophages on T cell signal transduction
- Weissler J.C., Mendelson C., Moya F., and W.C. Yarbrough Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994 149 191-196
- Separation of potent and poorly functional human lung accessory cells based on autofluorescence
- Nicod L., M.F. Lipscomb, G.B. Toews, and J.C. Weissler J. Leukoc. Biol May 1989 45 458-65
- Enhanced accessory cell function by alveolar macrophages from patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus
- Twigg H. L., M.F. Lipscomb, B. Yoffe, D. Barbaro, and J.C. Weissler Am. J Respir Cell Mol Biol January 1989 1 391-400
- PLAGL-2 expression induced epithelium damages in emphysema
- Yang, Y.S., Yang M.C.,Guo M, and J.C. Weissler Am J Phys (Lung) September 2009 297 455-466
- Nuclear relocation of PLAGL2 modulates gene activity in hypoxic lung cells: a mechanism in maintaining SP-C expression
- Guo,Y., Yang,M.C., Weissler, J.C., and Y.S. Yang Biochem and Biophys Res Communications August 2007 360 (3) 659-665
- Adult-onset pulmonary fibrosis caused by mutations in telomerase
- Tsakiri,K.,Cronkhite,J.,Kuan,P.,Xing,C.,Raghu,G.,Weissler J.C., Rosenblatt R.,Shay,J.,Garcia, C.K. PNAS May 2007 Vol 104, No. 18 7552-7557
- TTF-1/TAP26 Complex Differentially Modulates Surfactant Protein-B (SP-B) and -C (SP-C) Promoters in Lung Cells
- Yang, M.C., Guo,Y, Liu, C, Deng, F, Weissler J.C., and Y.S. Yang Biochem and Biophys Res Communications June 2006 344 (2) 484-490
- Pleiomorphic Adenoma Gene-like 2 Expression Is Associated with the Development of Lung Adenocarcinoma and Emphysema
- Yih-Sheng Yang, Meng-Chun W. Yang, and J.C. Weissler Lung Cancer Oct 2011 72(2) in press
Honors & Awards
- President, Association of Subspecialty Professors
- Best Doctors in America
- America's Top Doctors
- President, Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors
- President, American Federation for Clinical Research
- American College of Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association