Lori Watumull, M.D., is a Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Abdominal Imaging Division. Her clinical interests include computed tomography (CT) and ultrasound evaluation of the abdomen and pelvis, with special emphasis on cancer imaging and diagnosis. She also maintains an active practice that includes image-guided biopsy procedures and drainage interventions for conditions of the neck, chest, abdomen, and pelvis.
Dr. Watamull holds a bachelor’s degree in zoology from Texas A&M University. She earned her medical degree at UT Southwestern, where she also completed her residency training in diagnostic radiology and fellowship training in body imaging.
Dr. Watumull’s research interests include cancer diagnosis and treatment, particularly cancers of the breast, kidney, lung, and prostate. Her research has resulted in more than 20 original research articles and other publications, as well as invitations to present her findings at scientific conferences throughout the country and around the world.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Watumull is on numerous Radiology committees, serving as Chair of the Abdominal Imaging CT Angiography (CTA) Protocol/Template Committee and the Fluoroscopic Imaging Protocol Committee and as a delegate to the Ultrasound Operations Committee. She also serves on the Radiology Department Quality Assurance Committee, the CT Dose Reduction Review Committee, the Abdominal Imaging CT Protocol Committee, and the Radiology Residency Curriculum Committee, as well as the UT Southwestern Lung Cancer Screening Program Committee, the Radiation Protocol Committee for CT Systems, and the Kidney Cancer Program.
Dr. Watumull is an active member of several national and international professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, the American Roentgen Ray Society, the Society of Abdominal Radiology, the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, the Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society. She was elected a Fellow of the American College of Radiology in 2010.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1986)
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1987), Internal Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1991), Diagnostic Radiology
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1992), Body Imaging
- Body imaging
- Doppler Ultrasound
- General radiology
- Percutaneous abdominal and chest interventional procedures
- Inframanubrial parathyroid glands in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism: alternatives to sternotomy
- Nwariaku FE, Snyder WH, Burkey SH, Watumull L, Mathews D World J Surg April 2005 29 (4) 491 - 494
- The radiographic evolution of radio frequency ablated renal tumors
- Matsumoto ED, Watumull L, Johnson DB, Ogan K, Taylor GD, Josephs S, Cadeddu JA J Urol July 2004 172 (1) 45 - 48
- Sensitivity of chest fluoroscopy compared with chest CT and chest radiography for diagnosing hydropneumothorax in association with percutaneous nephrostolithotomy
- Ogan K, Corwin TS, Smith T, Watumull LM, Mullican MA, Cadeddu JA, Pearle MS Urology July 2003 62 988 - 992
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
Southwestern Medical School (0)
- Beta Beta Beta Honor Society
Texas A&M University (0)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Texas A&M University (0)
- American College of Radiology
- American Medical Association
- Radiological Society of North America
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Radiological Society