Dr. Kazmi completed medical training at Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan where he graduated as the best graduate of his class. He then pursued a Master of Research degree at University of Glasgow, UK in Biological and Biomedical Sciences and graduated with honors. He completed his internal medicine residency training at UT Health Science Center at Houston followed by a three-year Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he was named chief fellow for Hematology and was recipient of Young Investigator Award from ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation.
His clinical practice at UTSW is focused towards gastrointestinal malignancies and his research is geared towards colorectal cancer research. He is interested in all aspects of clinical research including patient centered outcome research, quality assessment and designing interventions to improve delivery of cancer-care to underserved populations. At UTSW he wants to utilize the strength of its basic science faculty to find novel therapies for colorectal cancer patients.
In his clinical care, he believes in establishing a warm, supportive connection with his patient and their families. He always wants empathy to infuse in the care he provides. He makes sure he is approachable by patients and colleagues, takes time to listen carefully and create the trust necessary to promote confidence and optimism. When he is not working, he likes to spend time with family, cook, and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University, Pakistan (2004)
- Medical School
- University of Glasgow, UK (2006)
- UT Medical Branch at Houston (2010), Internal Medicine
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center (2013), Hematology Oncology
- Clinical and Translational Research in Colorectal Cancer
- Quality Assessment and Improvement in Clinical Oncology
- 5-fluorouracil resistant colon cancer cells are addicted to OXPHOS to survive and enhance stem-like traits.
- Denise C, Paoli P, Calvani M, Taddei ML, Giannoni E, Kopetz S, Kazmi SM, Pia MM, Pettazzoni P, Sacco E, Caselli A, Vanoni M, Landriscina M, Cirri P, Chiarugi P Oncotarget 2015 Dec 6 39 41706-21
- Outcomes Among High-Risk and Standard-Risk Multiple Myeloma Patients Treated With High-Dose Chemotherapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Transplantation.
- Kazmi SM, Nusrat M, Gunaydin H, Cornelison AM, Shah N, Kebriaei P, Nieto Y, Parmar S, Popat UR, Oran B, Shah JJ, Orlowski RZ, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH, Bashir Q Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2015 Nov 15 11 687-93
- Characteristics of Sweet Syndrome in patients with acute myeloid leukemia.
- Kazmi SM, Pemmaraju N, Patel KP, Cohen PR, Daver N, Tran KM, Ravandi F, Duvic M, Garcia-Manero G, Pierce S, Nazha A, Borthakur G, Kantarjian H, Cortes J Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2015 Jun 15 6 358-363
- Characterizing the patterns of clonal selection in circulating tumor DNA from patients with colorectal cancer refractory to anti-EGFR treatment.
- Morelli MP, Overman MJ, Dasari A, Kazmi SM, Mazard T, Vilar E, Morris VK, Lee MS, Herron D, Eng C, Morris J, Kee BK, Janku F, Deaton FL, Garrett C, Maru D, Diehl F, Angenendt P, Kopetz S Ann. Oncol. 2015 Apr 26 4 731-6
- Rare Though Not Mutually Exclusive: A Report of Three Cases of Concomitant KRAS and BRAF Mutation and a Review of the Literature.
- Sahin IH, Kazmi SM, Yorio JT, Bhadkamkar NA, Kee BK, Garrett CR J Cancer 2013 4 4 320-2
- Impact of molecular alterations and targeted therapy in appendiceal adenocarcinomas.
- Raghav KP, Shetty AV, Kazmi SM, Zhang N, Morris J, Taggart M, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Eng C, Wolff RA, Overman MJ Oncologist 2013 18 12 1270-7
- Phase II trial of high-dose topotecan, melphalan and CY with autologous stem cell support for multiple myeloma.
- Kazmi SM, Saliba RM, Donato M, Wang M, Hosing C, Qureshi S, Anderlini P, Popat U, Champlin RE, Giralt SA, Qazilbash MH Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011 Apr 46 4 510-5
- Bortezomib induces apoptosis in primitive chronic myeloid leukemia cells including LTC-IC and NOD/SCID repopulating cells.
- Heaney NB, Pellicano F, Zhang B, Crawford L, Chu S, Kazmi SM, Allan EK, Jorgensen HG, Irvine AE, Bhatia R, Holyoake TL Blood 2010 Mar 115 11 2241-50
- Weekly docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil as initial therapy for patients with advanced gastric and esophageal cancer.
- Overman MJ, Kazmi SM, Jhamb J, Lin E, Yao JC, Abbruzzese JL, Ho L, Ajani J, Phan A Cancer 2010 Mar 116 6 1446-53
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation may reverse renal failure in patients with multiple myeloma.
- Parikh GC, Amjad AI, Saliba RM, Kazmi SM, Khan ZU, Lahoti A, Hosing C, Mendoza F, Qureshi SR, Weber DM, Wang M, Popat U, Alousi AM, Champlin RE, Giralt SA, Qazilbash MH Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009 Jul 15 7 812-6
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012-2013)
- Best Teacher Award
Aga Khan University (2005)
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Program Recipient Award
University of Glasgow/Department of International Development, UK (2005-2006)
- Best Graduate of Medical Class
Aga Khan University (2004)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2010)