Syed Kazmi, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of the Division of Hematology and Oncology. A Eugene P. Frenkel, M.D. Scholar in Clinical Medicine, his clinical focus is gastrointestinal malignancies.
A native of Pakistan, Dr. Kazmi received his medical degree from Aga Khan University and his master’s degree in biological and biomedical sciences from the University of Glasgow. He completed internal medicine residency training at UT Health Science Center in Houston, then completed advanced training through a fellowship in hematology and oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he was Chief Fellow for hematology and received the Young Investigator Award from the ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in hematology and oncology, Dr. Kazmi joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017.
Dr. Kazmi’s research interests include clinical and translational research in colorectal cancer and quality improvement in clinical oncology. His investigations have resulted in several publications in peer-reviewed journals.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Kazmi teaches medical and graduate students in classroom settings, lectures, and clinical experience. He has been part of several quality-improvement projects, including better documentation of nutrition in GI cancer patients, and introduction to chemotherapy for patients at UT Southwestern and Parkland Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Kazmi is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology and section editor for Systemic Therapies in Colorectal Cancer for Current Colorectal Cancer Reports.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Kazmi likes to spend time with family, cook, and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University, Pakistan (2004)
- Medical School
- University of Glasgow, UK (2006)
- UT Medical Branch at Houston (2010), Internal Medicine
- UT MD Anderson Cancer Center (2013), Hematology Oncology
- Clinical and Translational Research in Colorectal Cancer
- Quality Assessment and Improvement in Clinical Oncology
- 5-fluorouracil resistant colon cancer cells are addicted to OXPHOS to survive and enhance stem-like traits.
- Denise C, Paoli P, Calvani M, Taddei ML, Giannoni E, Kopetz S, Kazmi SM, Pia MM, Pettazzoni P, Sacco E, Caselli A, Vanoni M, Landriscina M, Cirri P, Chiarugi P Oncotarget 2015 Dec 6 39 41706-21
- Outcomes Among High-Risk and Standard-Risk Multiple Myeloma Patients Treated With High-Dose Chemotherapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Transplantation.
- Kazmi SM, Nusrat M, Gunaydin H, Cornelison AM, Shah N, Kebriaei P, Nieto Y, Parmar S, Popat UR, Oran B, Shah JJ, Orlowski RZ, Champlin RE, Qazilbash MH, Bashir Q Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2015 Nov 15 11 687-93
- Characteristics of Sweet Syndrome in patients with acute myeloid leukemia.
- Kazmi SM, Pemmaraju N, Patel KP, Cohen PR, Daver N, Tran KM, Ravandi F, Duvic M, Garcia-Manero G, Pierce S, Nazha A, Borthakur G, Kantarjian H, Cortes J Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2015 Jun 15 6 358-363
- Characterizing the patterns of clonal selection in circulating tumor DNA from patients with colorectal cancer refractory to anti-EGFR treatment.
- Morelli MP, Overman MJ, Dasari A, Kazmi SM, Mazard T, Vilar E, Morris VK, Lee MS, Herron D, Eng C, Morris J, Kee BK, Janku F, Deaton FL, Garrett C, Maru D, Diehl F, Angenendt P, Kopetz S Ann. Oncol. 2015 Apr 26 4 731-6
- Rare Though Not Mutually Exclusive: A Report of Three Cases of Concomitant KRAS and BRAF Mutation and a Review of the Literature.
- Sahin IH, Kazmi SM, Yorio JT, Bhadkamkar NA, Kee BK, Garrett CR J Cancer 2013 4 4 320-2
- Impact of molecular alterations and targeted therapy in appendiceal adenocarcinomas.
- Raghav KP, Shetty AV, Kazmi SM, Zhang N, Morris J, Taggart M, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Eng C, Wolff RA, Overman MJ Oncologist 2013 18 12 1270-7
- Phase II trial of high-dose topotecan, melphalan and CY with autologous stem cell support for multiple myeloma.
- Kazmi SM, Saliba RM, Donato M, Wang M, Hosing C, Qureshi S, Anderlini P, Popat U, Champlin RE, Giralt SA, Qazilbash MH Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011 Apr 46 4 510-5
- Bortezomib induces apoptosis in primitive chronic myeloid leukemia cells including LTC-IC and NOD/SCID repopulating cells.
- Heaney NB, Pellicano F, Zhang B, Crawford L, Chu S, Kazmi SM, Allan EK, Jorgensen HG, Irvine AE, Bhatia R, Holyoake TL Blood 2010 Mar 115 11 2241-50
- Weekly docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil as initial therapy for patients with advanced gastric and esophageal cancer.
- Overman MJ, Kazmi SM, Jhamb J, Lin E, Yao JC, Abbruzzese JL, Ho L, Ajani J, Phan A Cancer 2010 Mar 116 6 1446-53
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation may reverse renal failure in patients with multiple myeloma.
- Parikh GC, Amjad AI, Saliba RM, Kazmi SM, Khan ZU, Lahoti A, Hosing C, Mendoza F, Qureshi SR, Weber DM, Wang M, Popat U, Alousi AM, Champlin RE, Giralt SA, Qazilbash MH Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009 Jul 15 7 812-6
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012-2013)
- Best Teacher Award
Aga Khan University (2005)
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Program Recipient Award
University of Glasgow/Department of International Development, UK (2005-2006)
- Best Graduate of Medical Class
Aga Khan University (2004)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2010)