2011-2017 Post-doc, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany
2005-2011 Ph.D., Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley
2001-2005 B.S., Biology, University of Texas at Austin
Research Overview: Eggs can survive in a dormant state for many years. They then dramatically reawaken upon fertilization and give rise to a complex organism. How does this happen? The Woodruff lab combines live-cell imaging, nano-rheology, and in vitro reconstiution to address how organelles assemble and disassemble following fertilization. The lab also focuses on protein quality control and stability in oocytes. With this knowledge, we can hopefully better understand how cell division errors arise during cellular ageing and contribute to cancer and fertility decline during advanced materal age.
- Biological phase separation
- Material properties of organelles
- Oocyte quality and age-related fertility problems
- Regulation of centrosome size and number
- The Caenorhabditis elegans pericentriolar material components SPD-2 and SPD-5 are monomeric in the cytoplasm before incorporation into the PCM matrix.
- Wueseke O, Bunkenborg J, Hein MY, Zinke A, Viscardi V, Woodruff JB, Oegema K, Mann M, Andersen JS, Hyman AA Mol. Biol. Cell 2014 Oct 25 19 2984-92
- Pericentriolar material structure and dynamics.
- Woodruff JB, Wueseke O, Hyman AA Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 2014 Sep 369 1650
- Spindle assembly requires complete disassembly of spindle remnants from the previous cell cycle.
- Woodruff JB, Drubin DG, Barnes G Mol. Biol. Cell 2012 Jan 23 2 258-67
- Mitotic spindle disassembly occurs via distinct subprocesses driven by the anaphase-promoting complex, Aurora B kinase, and kinesin-8.
- Woodruff JB, Drubin DG, Barnes G J. Cell Biol. 2010 Nov 191 4 795-808
- Dynein-driven mitotic spindle positioning restricted to anaphase by She1p inhibition of dynactin recruitment.
- Woodruff JB, Drubin DG, Barnes G Mol. Biol. Cell 2009 Jul 20 13 3003-11
- Hau-Pax3/7A is an early marker of leech mesoderm involved in segmental morphogenesis, nephridial development, and body cavity formation.
- Woodruff JB, Mitchell BJ, Shankland M Dev. Biol. 2007 Jun 306 2 824-37
- Dynamic nuclear actin assembly by Arp2/3 complex and a baculovirus WASP-like protein.
- Goley ED, Ohkawa T, Mancuso J, Woodruff JB, D'Alessio JA, Cande WZ, Volkman LE, Welch MD Science 2006 Oct 314 5798 464-7
Honors & Awards
- Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences
- CPRIT Recruitment Award
- EMBO Long-Term Postdoctoral Fellow
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow
- Weintraub Graduate Student Award nominee
- Genentech Graduate Student Fellowship
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- Dean's Honored Graduate, UT Austin