Originally from Japan, Dr. Onodera received his MD/PhD degrees from Osaka University. After his initial training in molecular biology with Iichiro Shimomura, with whom he studied adiponectin and adipose tissue immuno-metabolism, he completed postdoctoral fellowship training in the laboratory of Philipp Scherer, Ph.D.
Dr. Onodera joined UTSW with a strong background in pathophysiology in diabetes and obesity. His research interests include adipose tissue biology, adiponectin and liver-adipose tissue crosstalk. His investigations resulted in numerous peer-reviewed publications, and he has presented his findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
- Organ Crosstalk
- From friend to foe: Pro-apoptotic action of nuclear ARC in diabetes.
- Onodera T, Scherer PE, Dev Cell 2021 03 56 6 717-718
- PEGylated AdipoRon derivatives improve glucose and lipid metabolism under insulinopenic and high-fat diet conditions.
- Onodera T, Ghazvini Zadeh E, Xu P, Gordillo R, Guo Z, Joffin N, Yu B, Scherer PE, Li WH, J Lipid Res 2021 62 100095
- A Novel Model of Diabetic Complications: Adipocyte Mitochondrial Dysfunction Triggers Massive ß-Cell Hyperplasia.
- Kusminski CM, Ghaben AL, Morley TS, Samms RJ, Adams AC, An Y, Johnson JA, Joffin N, Onodera T, Crewe C, Holland WL, Gordillo R, Scherer PE, Diabetes 2020 03 69 3 313-330
- Dermal adipose tissue has high plasticity and undergoes reversible dedifferentiation in mice.
- Zhang Z, Shao M, Hepler C, Zi Z, Zhao S, An YA, Zhu Y, Ghaben AL, Wang MY, Li N, Onodera T, Joffin N, Crewe C, Zhu Q, Vishvanath L, Kumar A, Xing C, Wang QA, Gautron L, Deng Y, Gordillo R, Kruglikov I, Kusminski CM, Gupta RK, Scherer PE, J Clin Invest 2019 12 129 12 5327-5342
- Lipotoxicity and ß Cell Maintenance in Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Ye R, Onodera T, Scherer PE, J Endocr Soc 2019 Mar 3 3 617-631
- SDF-1 Is an Autocrine Insulin-Desensitizing Factor in Adipocytes.
- Shin J, Fukuhara A, Onodera T, Kita S, Yokoyama C, Otsuki M, Shimomura I, Diabetes 2018 06 67 6 1068-1078
- Intracellular lipid metabolism impairs ß cell compensation during diet-induced obesity.
- Ye R, Gordillo R, Shao M, Onodera T, Chen Z, Chen S, Lin X, SoRelle JA, Li X, Tang M, Keller MP, Kuliawat R, Attie AD, Gupta RK, Holland WL, Beutler B, Herz J, Scherer PE, J Clin Invest 2018 03 128 3 1178-1189
- Eicosapentaenoic acid and 5-HEPE enhance macrophage-mediated Treg induction in mice.
- Onodera T, Fukuhara A, Shin J, Hayakawa T, Otsuki M, Shimomura I, Sci Rep 2017 07 7 1 4560
- Adipose tissue macrophages induce PPAR?-high FOXP3(+) regulatory T cells.
- Onodera T, Fukuhara A, Jang MH, Shin J, Aoi K, Kikuta J, Otsuki M, Ishii M, Shimomura I, Sci Rep 2015 Nov 5 16801
- Constitutive expression of IDO by dendritic cells of mesenteric lymph nodes: functional involvement of the CTLA-4/B7 and CCL22/CCR4 interactions.
- Onodera T, Jang MH, Guo Z, Yamasaki M, Hirata T, Bai Z, Tsuji NM, Nagakubo D, Yoshie O, Sakaguchi S, Takikawa O, Miyasaka M, J Immunol 2009 Nov 183 9 5608-14
- Japan Society for the Study of Obesity (2012)
- The Japan Diabetes Society (2012)
- The Japan Endocrine Society (2012)
- The Japanese Society of Internal Medicine (2011)