Our lab is interested in addressing a fundamental question of cell biology: How are organelles spatially organized? Mitochondria are especially fascinating to us because they perform a multitude of cellular functions that are dependent on the elaborate organization of their double membrane bilayer. In particular, mitochondrial energy production is directly linked to the shape of the organelle’s hallmark cristae membranes, which house the respiratory complexes that perform oxidative phosphorylation. We aim to elucidate the mechanisms that govern cristae organization within mitochondria and determine how cristae can dynamically remodel depending on cellular metabolic demand.
2012-2017 Postdoc, Cell and Molecular Biology, University of California Davis
2007-2012 Ph.D., Molecular Cell and Devolpmental Biology, University of Colorado Boulder
2001-2005 Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Washington University in St. Louis
- The outer mitochondrial membrane protein TMEM11 is a novel negative regulator of BNIP3/BNIP3L-dependent receptor-mediated mitophagy
- MO Gok, JR Friedman bioRxiv 2022
- ER-localized phosphatidylethanolamine synthase plays a conserved role in lipid droplet formation.
- Gok MO, Speer NO, Henne WM, Friedman JR, Mol Biol Cell 2021 Nov mbcE21110558T
- MICOS subcomplexes assemble independently on the mitochondrial inner membrane in proximity to ER contact sites.
- Tirrell PS, Nguyen KN, Luby-Phelps K, Friedman JR, J Cell Biol 2020 Nov 219 11
- Lipid Homeostasis Is Maintained by Dual Targeting of the Mitochondrial PE Biosynthesis Enzyme to the ER.
- Friedman JR, Kannan M, Toulmay A, Jan CH, Weissman JS, Prinz WA, Nunnari J Dev. Cell 2017 Dec
- MICOS coordinates with respiratory complexes and lipids to establish mitochondrial inner membrane architecture.
- Friedman JR, Mourier A, Yamada J, McCaffery JM, Nunnari J Elife 2015 Apr 4
- Mitochondrial form and function.
- Friedman JR, Nunnari J Nature 2014 Jan 505 7483 335-43
- Endoplasmic reticulum-endosome contact increases as endosomes traffic and mature.
- Friedman JR, Dibenedetto JR, West M, Rowland AA, Voeltz GK Mol. Biol. Cell 2013 Apr 24 7 1030-40
- ER tubules mark sites of mitochondrial division.
- Friedman JR, Lackner LL, West M, DiBenedetto JR, Nunnari J, Voeltz GK Science 2011 Oct 334 6054 358-62
- ER sliding dynamics and ER-mitochondrial contacts occur on acetylated microtubules.
- Friedman JR, Webster BM, Mastronarde DN, Verhey KJ, Voeltz GK J. Cell Biol. 2010 Aug 190 3 363-75
- Genome-wide CRISPRi screening identifies OCIAD1 as a prohibitin client and regulatory determinant of mitochondrial Complex III assembly in human cells.
- Le Vasseur M, Friedman J, Jost M, Xu J, Yamada J, Kampmann M, Horlbeck MA, Salemi MR, Phinney BS, Weissman JS, Nunnari J, Elife 2021 May 10
Honors & Awards
- NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00)
- ASCB Beckman Coulter Distinguished Graduate Student Achievement Prize
- Harold Weintraub Graduate Student Award
- Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship