Our lab is interested in addressing a fundamental question of cell biology: How are organelles spatially organized? Mitochondria are especially fascinating to us because they perform a multitude of cellular functions that are dependent on the elaborate organization of their double membrane bilayer. In particular, mitochondrial energy production is directly linked to the shape of the organelle’s hallmark cristae membranes, which house the respiratory complexes that perform oxidative phosphorylation. We aim to elucidate the mechanisms that govern cristae organization within mitochondria and determine how cristae can dynamically remodel depending on cellular metabolic demand.
2012-2017 Postdoc, Cell and Molecular Biology, University of California Davis
2007-2012 Ph.D., Molecular Cell and Devolpmental Biology, University of Colorado Boulder
2001-2005 Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Washington University in St. Louis
- Completion of mitochondrial division requires the intermembrane space protein Mdi1/Atg44.
- Connor OM, Matta SK, Friedman JR, J Cell Biol 2023 Oct 222 10
- A DRP-like pseudoenzyme coordinates with MICOS to promote cristae architecture.
- Kumar A, Gok MO, Nguyen KN, Reese ML, Wideman JG, Muñoz-Gómez SA, Friedman JR, bioRxiv 2023 Oct
- The outer mitochondrial membrane protein TMEM11 demarcates spatially restricted BNIP3/BNIP3L-mediated mitophagy.
- Gok MO, Connor OM, Wang X, Menezes CJ, Llamas CB, Mishra P, Friedman JR, J Cell Biol 2023 Apr 222 4
- Mitochondria from the Outside in: The Relationship Between Inter-Organelle Crosstalk and Mitochondrial Internal Organization.
- Friedman JR, Contact (Thousand Oaks) 2022 5
- ER-localized phosphatidylethanolamine synthase plays a conserved role in lipid droplet formation.
- Gok MO, Speer NO, Henne WM, Friedman JR, Mol Biol Cell 2021 Nov mbcE21110558T
- MICOS subcomplexes assemble independently on the mitochondrial inner membrane in proximity to ER contact sites.
- Tirrell PS, Nguyen KN, Luby-Phelps K, Friedman JR, J Cell Biol 2020 Nov 219 11
- Lipid Homeostasis Is Maintained by Dual Targeting of the Mitochondrial PE Biosynthesis Enzyme to the ER.
- Friedman JR, Kannan M, Toulmay A, Jan CH, Weissman JS, Prinz WA, Nunnari J Dev. Cell 2017 Dec
- MICOS coordinates with respiratory complexes and lipids to establish mitochondrial inner membrane architecture.
- Friedman JR, Mourier A, Yamada J, McCaffery JM, Nunnari J Elife 2015 Apr 4
- Mitochondrial form and function.
- Friedman JR, Nunnari J Nature 2014 Jan 505 7483 335-43
- ER tubules mark sites of mitochondrial division.
- Friedman JR, Lackner LL, West M, DiBenedetto JR, Nunnari J, Voeltz GK Science 2011 Oct 334 6054 358-62
Honors & Awards
- NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00)
- ASCB Beckman Coulter Distinguished Graduate Student Achievement Prize
- Harold Weintraub Graduate Student Award
- Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship