Gerard Martins, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Nephrology Division. He specializes in peritoneal dialysis, glomerulonephritis, and chronic kidney disease.
Dr. Martins earned his medical degree at the University of Guyana School of Medicine in Georgetown, Guyana. He completed internal medicine residency training at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Queens, New York, and then received advanced training in nephrology through a fellowship program at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and nephrology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2021.
Dr. Martins has delivered numerous lectures and presentations and published academic articles on research in his specialty areas. He is a member of the American College of Physicians and the American Society of Nephrology.
In 2019, Dr. Martins received UT Southwestern’s Outstanding Nephrology Fellow Award.
- Medical School
- University of Guyana School of Medicine (2010)
- Jamaica Hospital Medical Center (2017), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Nephrology
- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Depression and Protein-Energy Wasting in Kidney Disease.
- Gregg LP, Carmody T, Le D, Martins G, Trivedi M, Hedayati SS, Kidney Int Rep 2020 Mar 5 3 318-330
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Nephrology Fellow
UT Southwestern (2019)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Nephrology