Michael Wait, M.D., is a board-certified cardiothoracic surgeon who has been on staff at UT Southwestern for more than three decades.
Dr. Wait graduated magna cum laude with a degree in biology from Baylor University, and then received his medical degree from UT Southwestern, where he graduated sixth in his class. He completed residencies in internal medicine, general surgery, and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UT Southwestern-affiliated hospitals.
Dr. Wait is an active member of several committees at UT Southwestern, including the Heart and Lung Transplant Selection Committees, the Parkland Surgical Chiefs Committee, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Parkland OR Committee, Parkland Medical Executive Committee, and St. Paul Credentialing Committee.
He has authored numerous book chapters, and dozens of articles on cardiothoracic care. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Dallas County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, Parkland Surgical Society, American College of Surgeons, American College of Cardiology, Southwestern Surgical Congress, the American College of Chest Physicians, International Heart/Lung Transplant Society, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Dr. Wait was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Colorado. He enjoys mountain climbing and spending time with his fiancé Jill Ann Scott, their children and extended families. He also loves reading C. S. Lewis, Eric Metaxis, John Grisham novels, working in his church, bicycling, landscaping, and tending to his farm animals.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1983)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), General Surgery
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (1992), Thoracic Surgery
- Feasibility Study: A phase 3, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Intercostal Nerve Block with the Study Drug in Subjects Undergoing Posterolateral Thoracotomy
- Randomized Evaluation of CABG On vs. Off Pump (RECOOP)
- Randomized Trial of Variable Anticoagulation with On-X Valve
- Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Group Sequential Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Immunogenicity, and Safety of a Single Dose of Merck 0657nI Staphylococcus aureus Vaccine (V710) in Adult Patients Scheduled for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Delayed presentations of aortic valve endocarditis in patients with thermal injury
- Apple, J., Hunt JL., Wait, M., Purdue, G. Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection, and Critical Care 2002 52 406-409
- Indications for using video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery to diagnose diaphragmatic injuries after penetrating chest trauma.
- Freeman RK, Al-Dossari G, Hutcheson KA, Huber L, Jessen ME, Meyer DM, Wait MA, DiMaio JM Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2001 Aug 72 2 342-7
- OPCAB selection bias.
- Wait MA Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2001 May 71 5 1751-2
- Assessment of aortic regurgitation by transesophageal color Doppler imaging of the vena contracta: validation against an intraoperative aortic flow probe.
- Willett DL, Hall SA, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Grayburn PA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2001 Apr 37 5 1450-5
- Port site metastasis after laparoscopic staging of esophageal carcinoma.
- Freeman RK, Wait MA Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2001 Mar 71 3 1032-4
- Assessment of aortic regurgitation by transesophageal color doppler imaging of the vena contracta: validation against an intraoperative aortic flow probe
- Willett D, Hall S, Jessen M, Wait M, Grayburn P Journal of American College of Cardiology 2001 37 1450-1455
- Treatment of coronary heart disease with minimally invasive surgery.
- Wait MA Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2000 Apr 13 2 121-7
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Wait, MA Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings 2000 13/2 121-127
- The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS.
- DiMaio JM, Wait MA Chest Surg. Clin. N. Am. 1999 Feb 9 1 97-111
- Effect of preoperative antioxidant supplements on perioperative myocardial injury.
- Wait MA, Grayburn PA J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 1997 Dec 114 6 1127-8
The Cardiovascular System. In The Physiologic Basis of Surgery 4th Edition
Beckles d, Wait MA (2007). Philadelphia, Lippincott William & Wilkins
Management of Multiple Organ Donors. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
Surgical Technique of Thoracic Organ Recovery. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Wait MA, Jessen ME, Meyer DM, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS. In Chest Surgery Clinics of North America
DiMaio JM, Wait MA (1999). Philadelphia, WB Saunders
Honors & Awards
- President's Leaders in Clinical Excellence Award in Program Development
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors
"Best In American Medicine" (2008-2013)
- Texas Super Docs
"Best Doctors in Texas" featured in Texas Monthly and D Magazine (2006-2012)
- President's Research Council Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
Premedical Honor Society (1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dallas County Medical Society (2019)
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2019)
- Texas Medical Association (2019)
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (1999-2008)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (1996)
- American College of Chest Physicians (1994)