Michael Wait, M.D., is a board-certified cardiothoracic surgeon who has been on staff at UT Southwestern for more than three decades.
Dr. Wait graduated magna cum laude with a degree in biology from Baylor University, and then received his medical degree from UT Southwestern, where he graduated sixth in his class. He completed residencies in internal medicine, general surgery, and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UT Southwestern-affiliated hospitals.
Dr. Wait is an active member of several committees at UT Southwestern, including the Heart and Lung Transplant Selection Committees, the Parkland Surgical Chiefs Committee, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Parkland OR Committee, Parkland Medical Executive Committee, and St. Paul Credentialing Committee.
He has authored numerous book chapters, and dozens of articles on cardiothoracic care. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Dallas County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, Parkland Surgical Society, American College of Surgeons, American College of Cardiology, Southwestern Surgical Congress, the American College of Chest Physicians, International Heart/Lung Transplant Society, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Dr. Wait was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Colorado. He enjoys mountain climbing and spending time with his fiancé Jill Ann Scott, their children and extended families. He also loves reading C. S. Lewis, Eric Metaxis, John Grisham novels, working in his church, bicycling, landscaping, and tending to his farm animals.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1983)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), General Surgery
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (1992), Thoracic Surgery
- Feasibility Study: A phase 3, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Intercostal Nerve Block with the Study Drug in Subjects Undergoing Posterolateral Thoracotomy
- Randomized Evaluation of CABG On vs. Off Pump (RECOOP)
- Randomized Trial of Variable Anticoagulation with On-X Valve
- Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Group Sequential Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Immunogenicity, and Safety of a Single Dose of Merck 0657nI Staphylococcus aureus Vaccine (V710) in Adult Patients Scheduled for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Effects of early steroid withdrawal after heart transplantation.
- Rosenbaum DH, Adams BC, Mitchell JD, Jessen ME, Paul MC, Kaiser PA, Pappas PA, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Drazner MH, Yancy CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2006 Aug 82 2 637-44; discussion 644
- Contemporary techniques and safety of cardiovascular procedures in the surgical management of renal cell carcinoma with tumor thrombus.
- Lubahn JG, Sagalowsky AI, Rosenbaum DH, Dikmen E, Bhojani RA, Paul MC, Dolmatch BL, Josephs SC, Benaim EA, Levinson BS, Wait MA, Ring WS, DiMaio JM J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2006 Jun 131 6 1289-95
- Perioperative myocardial infarction secondary to dynamic circumflex coronary artery occlusion after mitral valve repair.
- Meursing DF, Boonswang NA, Dobrilovic N, Wait MA Tex Heart Inst J 2006 33 1 85-7
- Routine computed tomography screening of the chest in high-risk cardiac transplant recipients may improve survival.
- Rosenbaum DH, Bhojani RA, Dikmen E, Kaiser PA, Paul MC, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Yancy CW, Rosenblatt RL, Torres F, Perkins S, Ring WS, DiMaio JM J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2005 Dec 24 12 2043-7
- Infective endocarditis associated with a scorpion sting.
- Wheatley GH, Wait MA, Jessen ME Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2005 Oct 80 4 1489-90
- Improved pain management outcomes with continuous infusion of a local anesthetic after thoracotomy.
- Wheatley GH, Rosenbaum DH, Paul MC, Dine AP, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Ring WS, DiMaio JM J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2005 Aug 130 2 464-8
- Contemporary assessment of laryngotracheal trauma.
- Bhojani RA, Rosenbaum DH, Dikmen E, Paul M, Atkins BZ, Zonies D, Estrera AS, Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, DiMaio JM J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2005 Aug 130 2 426-32
- Surgical treatment of thoracic empyema in HIV-infected patients: severity and treatment modality is associated with CD4 count status.
- Khwaja S, Rosenbaum DH, Paul MC, Bhojani RA, Estrera AS, Wait MA, DiMaio JM Chest 2005 Jul 128 1 246-9
- Pulmonary mucormycosis.
- Dobrilovic N, Wait MA Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2005 Jan 79 1 354
- Left hemiparesis from atrial myxoma emboli.
- Le BD, De Lemos JA, Wait MA, Goff G, Boehrer J, Peterson GE Cardiol Rev 2003 Jan-Feb 11 1 41-4
The Cardiovascular System. In The Physiologic Basis of Surgery 4th Edition
Beckles d, Wait MA (2007). Philadelphia, Lippincott William & Wilkins
Management of Multiple Organ Donors. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
Surgical Technique of Thoracic Organ Recovery. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Wait MA, Jessen ME, Meyer DM, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS. In Chest Surgery Clinics of North America
DiMaio JM, Wait MA (1999). Philadelphia, WB Saunders
Honors & Awards
- President's Leaders in Clinical Excellence Award in Program Development
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors
"Best In American Medicine" (2008-2013)
- Texas Super Docs
"Best Doctors in Texas" featured in Texas Monthly and D Magazine (2006-2012)
- President's Research Council Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
Premedical Honor Society (1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dallas County Medical Society (2019)
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2019)
- Texas Medical Association (2019)
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (1999-2008)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (1996)
- American College of Chest Physicians (1994)