Michael Wait, M.D., is a board-certified cardiothoracic surgeon who has been on staff at UT Southwestern for more than three decades.
Dr. Wait graduated magna cum laude with a degree in biology from Baylor University, and then received his medical degree from UT Southwestern, where he graduated sixth in his class. He completed residencies in internal medicine, general surgery, and thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UT Southwestern-affiliated hospitals.
Dr. Wait is an active member of several committees at UT Southwestern, including the Heart and Lung Transplant Selection Committees, the Parkland Surgical Chiefs Committee, Promotion and Tenure Committee, Parkland OR Committee, Parkland Medical Executive Committee, and St. Paul Credentialing Committee.
He has authored numerous book chapters, and dozens of articles on cardiothoracic care. He is a member of the American Medical Association, Dallas County Medical Society, Texas Medical Association, Parkland Surgical Society, American College of Surgeons, American College of Cardiology, Southwestern Surgical Congress, the American College of Chest Physicians, International Heart/Lung Transplant Society, and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Dr. Wait was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Colorado. He enjoys mountain climbing and spending time with his fiancé Jill Ann Scott, their children and extended families. He also loves reading C. S. Lewis, Eric Metaxis, John Grisham novels, working in his church, bicycling, landscaping, and tending to his farm animals.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1983)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), General Surgery
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (1992), Thoracic Surgery
- Feasibility Study: A phase 3, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Intercostal Nerve Block with the Study Drug in Subjects Undergoing Posterolateral Thoracotomy
- Randomized Evaluation of CABG On vs. Off Pump (RECOOP)
- Randomized Trial of Variable Anticoagulation with On-X Valve
- Randomized, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Group Sequential Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Immunogenicity, and Safety of a Single Dose of Merck 0657nI Staphylococcus aureus Vaccine (V710) in Adult Patients Scheduled for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS
- DiMaio, JM and Wait, MA Chest Surgery Clinics of North America February 1999 9/1 97-112
- Surgical technique - Thoracic organ recovery
- Wait MA, Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Ring WSR The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1999 1st Edition Chapter 9
- Management of Multiple Organ Donors
- Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Ring WSR The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1999 1st Edition Chapter 8
- Endotherapy for a 5-cm mid-esophageal perforation with tandem stenting above the lower esophageal sphincter (with videos).
- Tang SJ, Singh S, Wait MA, Mullican MA, Scott DJ Surg Endosc 2009 May
- Iatrogenic esophageal submucosal dissection after attempted diagnostic gastroscopy (with videos).
- Tang SJ, Tang L, Jazrawi SF, Meyer D, Wait MA, Myers LL Laryngoscope 2009 Jan 119 1 36-8
- Perfusion preservation versus static preservation for cardiac transplantation: effects on myocardial function and metabolism.
- Rosenbaum DH, Peltz M, DiMaio JM, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Merritt ME, Ring WS, Jessen ME J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2008 Jan 27 1 93-9
- The Cardiovascular System, Chapter 15 in The Physiologic Basis of Surgery 4th edition
- Beckles D, Wait MA in The Physiologic Basis of Surgery, 4th ed October 2007 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Thoracoscopic management of empyema thoracis.
- Wait MA, Beckles DL, Paul M, Hotze M, Dimaio MJ J Minim Access Surg 2007 Oct 3 4 141-8
- Differentiating true versus pseudo left ventricular aneurysm: a case report and review of diagnostic strategies.
- Cho MN, Mehta SK, Matulevicius S, Weinstein D, Wait MA, McGuire DK Cardiol Rev 2006 Nov-Dec 14 6 e27-30
- Hypothermic circulatory arrest for repair of injuries of the thoracic aorta and great vessels.
- Peltz M, Douglass DS, Meyer DM, Wait MA, DiMaio JM, Ring WS, Jessen ME Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2006 Oct 5 5 560-5
The Cardiovascular System. In The Physiologic Basis of Surgery 4th Edition
Beckles d, Wait MA (2007). Philadelphia, Lippincott William & Wilkins
Management of Multiple Organ Donors. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Meyer DM, Jessen ME, Wait MA, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
Surgical Technique of Thoracic Organ Recovery. In The Handbook of Organ Retrieval and Preservation 1st ed
Wait MA, Jessen ME, Meyer DM, Ring WSR (1999). Austin, RG Landes Co
The thoracic surgeon's role in the management of patients with HIV infection and AIDS. In Chest Surgery Clinics of North America
DiMaio JM, Wait MA (1999). Philadelphia, WB Saunders
Honors & Awards
- President's Leaders in Clinical Excellence Award in Program Development
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors
"Best In American Medicine" (2008-2013)
- Texas Super Docs
"Best Doctors in Texas" featured in Texas Monthly and D Magazine (2006-2012)
- President's Research Council Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Alpha Epsilon Delta
Premedical Honor Society (1979)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American College of Chest Physicians (1994)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2019)
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2019)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (1996)
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (1999-2008)
- Texas Medical Association (2019)