Wanpen Vongpatanasin, M.D., earned her medical degree with first-class honors at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. Dr. Vongpatanasin then completed her internship and residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in cardiology, all at UT Southwestern.
Among the recognition and awards Dr. Vongpatanasin has received for her work are the William F. Keating Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease and the International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research from the Endocrine Society. In 2010 she was named the Norman and Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research at UT Southwestern Medical School.
Dr. Vongpatanasin serves as Associate Editor of the medical journal Circulation and has published numerous original research articles and scholarly reviews in professional publications including Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, Hypertension, Circulation Research, and American Journal of Medicine. She has authored textbook chapters on the diagnosis and management of hypertension, and has presented on hypertension and related topics at annual conferences and meetings of organizations including the American Society of Hypertension and the American College of Cardiology.
- Medical School
- Chulalongkorn Hospital (1990)
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1992), Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1994), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Cardiology
- Differential Effects of Nebivolol Versus Metoprolol on Functional Sympatholysis in Hypertensive Humans.
- Price A, Raheja P, Wang Z, Arbique D, Adams-Huet B, Mitchell JH, Victor RG, Thomas GD, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2013 Apr
- Central sympatholysis as a novel countermeasure for cocaine-induced sympathetic activation and vasoconstriction in humans.
- Menon DV, Wang Z, Fadel PJ, Arbique D, Leonard D, Li JL, Victor RG, Vongpatanasin W J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2007 Aug 50 7 626-33
- C-reactive protein causes downregulation of vascular angiotensin subtype 2 receptors and systolic hypertension in mice.
- Vongpatanasin W, Thomas GD, Schwartz R, Cassis LA, Osborne-Lawrence S, Hahner L, Gibson LL, Black S, Samols D, Shaul PW Circulation 2007 Feb 115 8 1020-8
- Cocaine stimulates the human cardiovascular system via a central mechanism of action.
- Vongpatanasin W, Mansour Y, Chavoshan B, Arbique D, Victor RG Circulation 1999 Aug 100 5 497-502
- Prosthetic heart valves.
- Vongpatanasin W, Hillis LD, Lange RA N. Engl. J. Med. 1996 Aug 335 6 407-16
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctor in Hypertension
D Magazine (2016)
- Fredric L. Coe Professorship in Nephrolithiasis and Mineral Metabolism Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016)
- The Endocrine Society’s International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research
- Norman & Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, High Blood pressure Council
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, Clinical Carddiology Council
- American College of Cardiology/ William F. Keating award
Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease (2000)
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physician
- American Heart Association
- American Physiological Society
- American Society of Hypertension