Wanpen Vongpatanasin, M.D., earned her medical degree with first-class honors at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. Dr. Vongpatanasin then completed her internship and residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in cardiology, all at UT Southwestern.
Among the recognition and awards Dr. Vongpatanasin has received for her work are the William F. Keating Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease and the International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research from the Endocrine Society. In 2010 she was named the Norman and Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research at UT Southwestern Medical School.
Dr. Vongpatanasin serves as Associate Editor of the medical journal Circulation and has published numerous original research articles and scholarly reviews in professional publications including Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, Hypertension, Circulation Research, and American Journal of Medicine. She has authored textbook chapters on the diagnosis and management of hypertension, and has presented on hypertension and related topics at annual conferences and meetings of organizations including the American Society of Hypertension and the American College of Cardiology.
- Medical School
- Chulalongkorn Hospital (1990)
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1992), Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1994), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Cardiology
- High-Phosphate Diet Induces Exercise Intolerance and Impairs Fatty Acid Metabolism in Mice.
- Peri-Okonny PA, Baskin KK, Iwamoto G, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Kim HK, Szweda LI, Bassel-Duby R, Fujikawa T, Castorena CM, Richardson J, Shelton JM, Ayers C, Berry JD, Malladi VS, Hu MC, Moe OW, Scherer PE, Vongpatanasin W Circulation 2019 Jan
- Diagnostic Thresholds for Blood Pressure Measured at Home in the Context of the 2017 Hypertension Guideline.
- Vongpatanasin W, Ayers C, Lodhi H, Das SR, Berry JD, Khera A, Victor RG, Lin FC, Viera AJ, Yano Y, de Lemos JA Hypertension 2018 Dec 72 6 1312-1319
- Aldosterone and Salt Loading Independently Exacerbate the Exercise Pressor Reflex in Rats.
- Mizuno M, Downey RM, Mitchell JH, Auchus RJ, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2015 Jul
- Resistant hypertension: a review of diagnosis and management.
- Vongpatanasin W JAMA 2014 Jun 311 21 2216-24
- Therapeutic drug monitoring facilitates blood pressure control in resistant hypertension.
- Brinker S, Pandey A, Ayers C, Price A, Raheja P, Arbique D, Das SR, Halm EA, Kaplan NM, Vongpatanasin W J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014 Mar 63 8 834-5
- Dexmedetomidine as a Novel Countermeasure for Cocaine-Induced Central Sympathoexcitation in Cocaine-Addicted Humans.
- Kontak AC, Victor RG, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2013 Jan
- Spironolactone Prevents Chlorthalidone-Induced Sympathetic Activation and Insulin Resistance in Hypertensive Patients.
- Raheja P, Price A, Wang Z, Arbique D, Adams-Huet B, Auchus RJ, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2012 Jun
- Prognostic Value of Masked Uncontrolled Hypertension.
- Pierdomenico SD, Pierdomenico AM, Coccina F, Clement DL, De Buyzere ML, De Bacquer DA, Ben-Dov IZ, Vongpatanasin W, Banegas JR, Ruilope LM, Thijs L, Staessen JA Hypertension 2018 Oct 72 4 862-869
- Hemodynamic and Mechanical Properties of the Proximal Aorta in Young and Middle-Aged Adults With Isolated Systolic Hypertension: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Yano Y, Neeland IJ, Ayers C, Peshock R, Berry JD, Lloyd-Jones DM, Greenland P, Mitchell GF, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2017 May
- High Dietary Phosphate Intake Induces Hypertension and Augments Exercise Pressor Reflex Function in Rats.
- Mizuno M, Mitchell JH, Crawford S, Huang CL, Maalouf NM, Hu MC, Moe OW, Smith SA, Vongpatanasin W Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2016 May ajpregu.00124.2016
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctor in Hypertension
D Magazine (2016)
- Fredric L. Coe Professorship in Nephrolithiasis and Mineral Metabolism Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016)
- The Endocrine Society’s International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research
- Norman & Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, High Blood pressure Council
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, Clinical Carddiology Council
- American College of Cardiology/ William F. Keating award
Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease (2000)
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physician
- American Heart Association
- American Physiological Society
- American Society of Hypertension