Wanpen Vongpatanasin, M.D.
Program Director, Hypertension Fellowship Program
Endowed Title Norman and Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension; Fredric L. Coe Professorship in Nephrolithiasis Research in Mineral Metabolism
Department Internal Medicine | Charles and Jane Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Wanpen Vongpatanasin, M.D., is a Professor in the UT Southwestern Department of Internal Medicine. She directs UTSW’s Hypertension Section and its Hypertension Fellowship Program and serves as an attending physician in internal medicine and cardiology at Parkland Hospital and Zale Lipshy University Hospital.
She earned her medical degree with first-class honors at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. Dr. Vongpatanasin then completed her internship and residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in cardiology, all at UT Southwestern.
Among the recognition and awards Dr. Vongpatanasin has received for her work are the William F. Keating Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease and the International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research from the Endocrine Society. In 2010 she was named the Norman and Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research at UT Southwestern Medical School.
Dr. Vongpatanasin serves as Associate Editor of the medical journal Circulation and has published numerous original research articles and scholarly reviews in professional publications including Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, Hypertension, Circulation Research, and American Journal of Medicine. She has authored textbook chapters on the diagnosis and management of hypertension, and has presented on hypertension and related topics at annual conferences and meetings of organizations including the American Society of Hypertension and the American College of Cardiology.
- Medical School
- Chulalongkorn Hospital (1990)
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1992), Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (1994), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Cardiology
- Dapagliflozin Attenuates Sympathetic and Pressor Responses to Stress in Young Prehypertensive Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats.
- Kim HK, Ishizawa R, Fukazawa A, Wang Z, Bezan Petric U, Chang Hu M, Smith SA, Mizuno M, Vongpatanasin W, Hypertension 2022 Jun 101161HYPERTENSIONAHA12219177
- Renal Nerve Activity and Arterial Depressor Responses Induced by Neuromodulation of the Deep Peroneal Nerve in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats.
- Gonzalez-Gonzalez MA, Romero K, Beitter J, Lloyd D, Lam DV, Hernandez-Reynoso AG, Kanneganti A, Kim HK, Bjune CK, Smith S, Vongpatanasin W, Romero-Ortega MI, Front Neurosci 2022 16 726467
- Medication Adherence and Blood Pressure Control: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.
- Choudhry NK, Kronish IM, Vongpatanasin W, Ferdinand KC, Pavlik VN, Egan BM, Schoenthaler A, Houston Miller N, Hyman DJ, Hypertension 2021 Oct HYP0000000000000203
- Evidence of reduced efferent renal sympathetic innervation after chemical renal denervation in humans.
- Hearon CM, Howden EJ, Fu Q, Yoo JK, Dias KA, Roberts-Reeves MA, Samels M, Sarma S, Nesbitt S, Vongpatanasin W, Goldstein DS, Addo T, Levine BD, Am J Hypertens 2021 03
- Superiority of Out-of-Office Blood Pressure for Predicting Hypertensive Heart Disease in Non-Hispanic Black Adults.
- Rader F, Franklin SS, Mirocha J, Vongpatanasin W, Haley RW, Victor RG, Hypertension 2019 Sep HYPERTENSIONAHA11913542
- Usefulness of Blood Pressure Variability Indices Derived From 24-Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring in Detecting Autonomic Failure.
- Lodhi HA, Peri-Okonny PA, Schesing K, Phelps K, Ngo C, Evans H, Arbique D, Price AL, Vernino S, Phillips L, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Yano Y, Das SR, Wang T, Vongpatanasin W, J Am Heart Assoc 2019 Apr 8 7 e010161
- High-Phosphate Diet Induces Exercise Intolerance and Impairs Fatty Acid Metabolism in Mice.
- Peri-Okonny PA, Baskin KK, Iwamoto G, Mitchell JH, Smith SA, Kim HK, Szweda LI, Bassel-Duby R, Fujikawa T, Castorena CM, Richardson J, Shelton JM, Ayers C, Berry JD, Malladi VS, Hu MC, Moe OW, Scherer PE, Vongpatanasin W Circulation 2019 Jan
- Diagnostic Thresholds for Blood Pressure Measured at Home in the Context of the 2017 Hypertension Guideline.
- Vongpatanasin W, Ayers C, Lodhi H, Das SR, Berry JD, Khera A, Victor RG, Lin FC, Viera AJ, Yano Y, de Lemos JA Hypertension 2018 Dec 72 6 1312-1319
- Prognostic Value of Masked Uncontrolled Hypertension.
- Pierdomenico SD, Pierdomenico AM, Coccina F, Clement DL, De Buyzere ML, De Bacquer DA, Ben-Dov IZ, Vongpatanasin W, Banegas JR, Ruilope LM, Thijs L, Staessen JA Hypertension 2018 Oct 72 4 862-869
- Hemodynamic and Mechanical Properties of the Proximal Aorta in Young and Middle-Aged Adults With Isolated Systolic Hypertension: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Yano Y, Neeland IJ, Ayers C, Peshock R, Berry JD, Lloyd-Jones DM, Greenland P, Mitchell GF, Vongpatanasin W Hypertension 2017 May
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctor in Hypertension
D Magazine (2016)
- Fredric L. Coe Professorship in Nephrolithiasis and Mineral Metabolism Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016)
- The Endocrine Society’s International Award of Excellence in Published Clinical Research
- Norman & Audrey Kaplan Chair in Hypertension Research
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, High Blood pressure Council
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, Clinical Carddiology Council
- American College of Cardiology/ William F. Keating award
Career Development Award for Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease (2000)
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physician
- American Heart Association
- American Physiological Society
- American Society of Hypertension