Originally from San Jose, Dr. Sumarsono holds a bachelor's degree in microbiology, immunology, and molecular genetics from the University of California Los Angeles, where he graduated cum laude. He earned his medical degree at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He also holds a master of public health in clinical effectiveness from the Harvard University TH Chan School of Public Health in Boston. He completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical Center, followed by an editorial fellowship with the Journal of Hospital Medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Sumarsono joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
Dr. Sumarsono is a member of the Society of Hospital Medicine, the American Heart Association, and the Texas Medical Association. He is also an Abstract Reviewer for the Society of Hospital Medicine.
Dr. Sumarsono’s interests outside of medicine include his Christian faith, family, trying new restaurants, and traveling.
- Medical School
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (2017)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Internal Medicine
- Clinical Outcomes
- Health Disparities
- Health Services
- Healthcare Utilization and Expenditures
- Economic Burden Associated With Extended-Release vs Immediate-Release Drug Formulations Among Medicare Part D and Medicaid Beneficiaries.
- Sumarsono A, Sumarsono N, Das SR, Vaduganathan M, Agrawal D, Pandey A, JAMA Netw Open 2020 Feb 3 2 e200181
- Contemporary Patterns of Medicare and Medicaid Utilization and Associated Spending on Sacubitril/Valsartan and Ivabradine in Heart Failure.
- Sumarsono A, Vaduganathan M, Ajufo E, Navar AM, Fonarow GC, Das SR, Pandey A, JAMA Cardiol 2019 Nov
- Trends in Aggregate Use and Associated Expenditures of Antihyperglycemic Therapies Among US Medicare Beneficiaries Between 2012 and 2017.
- Sumarsono A, Everett BM, McGuire DK, Fonarow GC, Butler J, Pandey A, Vaduganathan M, JAMA Intern Med 2019 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Best Article by a Categorical Resident
UT Southwestern (2020)
- Outstanding Clinical Ward Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2018)
- American Heart Association (2019)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2020)
- Texas Medical Association (2019)