Jenny K. Rodriguez Francis, M.D., M.P.H., joined the faculty in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2017, and works at Children’s Medical Center Dallas. She received a BA from the University of Dallas and attended UTMB Galveston for medical school. She trained in New York City in pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine; completed a fellowship in adolescent medicine at Mount Sinai’s Adolescent Health Center; obtained a MPH at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai; and worked as an assistant professor of pediatrics at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City. Dr. Francis adds an enthusiastic and educational approach to her clinical practice. She is the director of the adolescent medicine fellowship program. She is board-certified in Adolescent Medicine and in Pediatrics. She is an NIH funded researcher who investigates adolescent sexual and reproductive health services. She is specifically interested in improving provider-parent-adolescent communication around long-acting reversible contraception.
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2008)
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center (2011), Pediatrics
- Graduate School
- ICAHN School of Medicine/Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center (2014), Public Health
- Other Post Graduate Training
- ICAHN School of Medicine/Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center (2014)
- Adolescent sexual and reproductive health
- HPV Vaccines
- Provider communication about sensitive conversations
- Supporting parents and adolescents in the uptake of long acting reversible contraception
- Research participation provides adolescents and parents a launching pad for conversations.
- Francis JKR, Landers SE, Radecki Breitkopf C, Mauro C, Chang J, Catallozzi M, Rosenthal SL Sex Health 2019 Jan
- Adolescent-Parent Dyadic Retention in an Interview Study and Changes in Willingness to Participate in a Hypothetical Microbicide Safety Study.
- Francis JKR, de Roche AM, Mauro C, Landers SE, Chang J, Catallozzi M, Breitkopf CR, Rosenthal SL J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2018 Jun
- Management of Adolescent-Parent Dyads' Discordance for Willingness to Participate in a Reproductive Health Clinical Trial.
- Francis JKR, Dapena Fraiz L, de Roche AM, Catallozzi M, Radecki Breitkopf C, Rosenthal SL J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 2017 Dec 1556264617745409
- Long-Acting Reversible Contraception for Adolescents: A Review.
- Francis JKR, Gold MA JAMA Pediatr 2017 Jul 171 7 694-701
- Pregnant young women's attitudes about microbicides: the anticipated influence of the grandmother and father of the baby on microbicide use
- Francis JKR, Fraiz LD, Catallozzi M, deRoche AM, Mauro C, Rosenthal SL Sex Health 2017 05
- Adolescent and Parent Willingness to Participate in Microbicide Safety Studies.
- Catallozzi M, de Roche AM, Hu MC, Breitkopf CR, Chang J, Ipp LS, Francis JK, Rosenthal SL J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2017 Feb 30 1 82-87
- Qualitative Analysis of Sexually Experienced Female Adolescents: Attitudes about Vaginal Health.
- Francis JK, Fraiz LD, Catallozzi M, Rosenthal SL J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2016 Oct 29 5 496-500
- Parents' and Adolescents' Attitudes about Parental Involvement in Clinical Research.
- Rosenthal SL, de Roche AM, Catallozzi M, Breitkopf CR, Ipp LS, Chang J, Francis JK, Hu MC J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2016 Aug 29 4 372-7
- Adolescents and Their Parents Differ on Descriptions of a Reproductive Health Study.
- Francis JK, Hoffman LF, Hu MC, de Roche AM, Catallozzi M, Breitkopf CR, Rosenthal SL J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2016 Jun 29 3 240-5
- Inclusion of Adolescents in Clinical Trials for Sexually Transmitted Infections: A Review of Existing Registered Studies.
- Hoffman LF, Francis NK, Catallozzi M, Francis JK, Stanberry LR, Rosenthal SL J Adolesc Health 2016 May 58 5 576-8
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine
Best Doctor (2021)
- Merck Investigator initiated Study
- American Cancer Society HPV Cancer Free
- NIH K23 Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award
- CCRAC (Children's Clinical Research Advisory Committee) Award
- PDEMCHID (Program for the Development and Evaluation of Model Community Health Initiatives in Dallas) Award
- Provosts Grant for Junior Faculty Who Contribute to the Diversity Goals of the University
Columbia University (2015)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2011-2019)
- Society of Adolescent Health and Medicine
- Society for Pediatric Research