Miguel Vazquez, M.D., is Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Medical Director of Kidney Transplantation at St. Paul University Hospital. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1992.
Dr. Vazquez also serves as the Clinical Director of the Division of Nephrology at UT Southwestern.
His patient care specialties include kidney transplants, end-stage renal disease, and chronic kidney disease.
He attended medical school at the University of Puerto Rico in San Juan, and came to UT Southwestern for his internship and residency in internal medicine. He also completed his fellowship in nephrology and research in immunology and transplantation at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Vazquez is active in patient-oriented research. His current research effortsare focused on improving care for patients with chronic kidney disease and coexistent diabetes and hypertension. His research efforts also include dialysis vascular access and kidney transplant complications.
Dr. Vazquez is board certified in internal medicine and nephrology by the American Board of Internal Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and was named a Fellow by the American Society of Nephrology in 2011.
- Medical School
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (1985)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1986), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1988), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992), Nephrology
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Dialysis Vascular Access
- Kidney Transplant Complications
- Pragmatic Clinical Trials
- Pragmatic Clinical Trials in CKD: Opportunities and Challenges.
- de Boer IH, Kovesdy CP, Navaneethan SD, Peralta CA, Tuot DS, Vazquez MA, Crews DC J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2016 Jun
- Acute Rejection Rates and Graft Outcomes According to Induction Regimen among Recipients of Kidneys from Deceased Donors Treated with Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate.
- Tanriover B, Jaikaransingh V, MacConmara MP, Parekh JR, Levea SL, Ariyamuthu VK, Zhang S, Gao A, Ayvaci MU, Sandikci B, Rajora N, Ahmed V, Lu CY, Mohan S, Vazquez MA Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016 Jun
- Vascular Function at Baseline in the Hemodialysis Fistula Maturation Study.
- Dember LM, Imrey PB, Duess MA, Hamburg NM, Larive B, Radeva M, Himmelfarb J, Kraiss LW, Kusek JW, Roy-Chaudhury P, Terry CM, Vazquez MA, Vongpatanasin W, Beck GJ, Vita JA J Am Heart Assoc 2016 5 7
- Oversight on the borderline: Quality improvement and pragmatic research.
- Finkelstein JA, Brickman AL, Capron A, Ford DE, Gombosev A, Greene SM, Iafrate RP, Kolaczkowski L, Pallin SC, Pletcher MJ, Staman KL, Vazquez MA, Sugarman J Clin Trials 2015 Sep
- Induction Therapies in Live Donor Kidney Transplantation on Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate With or Without Steroid Maintenance.
- Tanriover B, Zhang S, MacConmara M, Gao A, Sandikci B, Ayvaci MU, Mete M, Tsapepas D, Rajora N, Mohan P, Lakhia R, Lu CY, Vazquez M Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2015 Jun 10 6 1041-9
- Effect of fish oil supplementation on graft patency and cardiovascular events among patients with new synthetic arteriovenous hemodialysis grafts: a randomized controlled trial.
- Lok CE, Moist L, Hemmelgarn BR, Tonelli M, Vazquez MA, Dorval M, Oliver M, Donnelly S, Allon M, Stanley K JAMA 2012 May 307 17 1809-16
- Effect of dipyridamole plus aspirin on hemodialysis graft patency.
- Dixon BS, Beck GJ, Vazquez MA, Greenberg A, Delmez JA, Allon M, Dember LM, Himmelfarb J, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Radeva MK, Davidson IJ, Ikizler TA, Braden GL, Fenves AZ, Kaufman JS, Cotton JR, Martin KJ, McNeil JW, Rahman A, Lawson JH, Whiting JF, Hu B, Meyers CM, Kusek JW, Feldman HI N. Engl. J. Med. 2009 May 360 21 2191-201
- Effect of clopidogrel on early failure of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a randomized controlled trial.
- Dember LM, Beck GJ, Allon M, Delmez JA, Dixon BS, Greenberg A, Himmelfarb J, Vazquez MA, Gassman JJ, Greene T, Radeva MK, Braden GL, Ikizler TA, Rocco MV, Davidson IJ, Kaufman JS, Meyers CM, Kusek JW, Feldman HI JAMA 2008 May 299 18 2164-71
- The evaluation of renal transplantation candidates: clinical practice guidelines.
- Kasiske BL, Cangro CB, Hariharan S, Hricik DE, Kerman RH, Roth D, Rush DN, Vazquez MA, Weir MR Am. J. Transplant. 2001 1 Suppl 2 3-95
- Recommendations for the outpatient surveillance of renal transplant recipients. American Society of Transplantation.
- Kasiske BL, Vazquez MA, Harmon WE, Brown RS, Danovitch GM, Gaston RS, Roth D, Scandling JD, Singer GG J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2000 Oct 11 Suppl 15 S1-86
Honors & Awards
American College of Physicians (1999)
- Outstanding Teaching Award
Internal Medicine Housestaff (1999)
- Young Investigator Grant
National Kidney Foundation (1992)
- Individual National Research Service Award
National Institutes of Health (1990)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
National Medical Honor Society (1983)
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplantation
- National Kidney Foundation
- Texas Medical Association