Jun Wu obtained his bachelor degree in Clinical Medicine from Shandong University School of Medicine, China. He earned his Ph.D. degree in Life Science from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, focusing on centrosome cycle regulation. Dr. Wu received his postdoctoral training at University of Southern California with Dr. Martin Pera and the Salk Institute with Dr. Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte. His postdoctoral work focused on stem cell biology and genome editing. In January 2018, Dr. Wu joined UT Southwestern as an assistant professor in the Department of Molecular Biology.
Dr. Wu’s work has contributed to the generation of new stem cells for basic and translational studies, and developing novel and efficient genome and epigenome editing tools. He expanded the spectrum of pluripotent states by capturing several new types of pluripotent stem cells (PSCs) with distinct molecular and phenotypic features, and helped establish a 3D culture system that supports long-term expansion of nephron progenitor cells.
Recently, he has generated PSC-derived interspecies chimeras and developed an efficient and versatile interspecies blastocyst complementation system for targeted organ-enrichment of xenogeneic donor PSCs. His group is particularly interested in harnessing interspecies chimeras for studying developmental biology in an evolutionary context, body- and organ-size determination, species’ specific behavioral traits, cancer resistance, and molecular basis of species barriers.
- Genome and Epigenome Editing
- Interspecies Chimeras and Organogenesis
- Pluripotent stem cells
- Species Preservation
- Stem cell embryo models
- Generation of Blastocyst-like Structures from Mouse Embryonic and Adult Cell Cultures.
- Li R, Zhong C, Yu Y, Liu H, Sakurai M, Yu L, Min Z, Shi L, Wei Y, Takahashi Y, Liao HK, Qiao J, Deng H, Nuñez-Delicado E, Rodriguez Esteban C, Wu J, Izpisua Belmonte JC, Cell 2019 Oct 179 3 687-702.e18
- Interspecies Chimerism with Mammalian Pluripotent Stem Cells.
- Wu J, Platero-Luengo A, Sakurai M, Sugawara A, Gil MA, Yamauchi T, Suzuki K, Bogliotti YS, Cuello C, Morales Valencia M, Okumura D, Luo J, Vilariño M, Parrilla I, Soto DA, Martinez CA, Hishida T, Sánchez-Bautista S, Martinez-Martinez ML, Wang H, Nohalez A, Aizawa E, Martinez-Redondo P, Ocampo A, Reddy P, Roca J, Maga EA, Esteban CR, Berggren WT, Nuñez Delicado E, Lajara J, Guillen I, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Martinez EA, Ross PJ, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell 2017 Jan 168 3 473-486.e15
- Stem cells and interspecies chimaeras.
- Wu J, Greely HT, Jaenisch R, Nakauchi H, Rossant J, Belmonte JC Nature 2016 Dec 540 7631 51-59
- An alternative pluripotent state confers interspecies chimaeric competency.
- Wu J, Okamura D, Li M, Suzuki K, Luo C, Ma L, He Y, Li Z, Benner C, Tamura I, Krause MN, Nery JR, Du T, Zhang Z, Hishida T, Takahashi Y, Aizawa E, Kim NY, Lajara J, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Esteban CR, Ross PJ, Saghatelian A, Ren B, Ecker JR, Izpisua Belmonte JC Nature 2015 May 521 7552 316-21
- Dissecting primate early post-implantation development using long-term in vitro embryo culture.
- Niu Y, Sun N, Li C, Lei Y, Huang Z, Wu J, Si C, Dai X, Liu C, Wei J, Liu L, Feng S, Kang Y, Si W, Wang H, Zhang E, Zhao L, Li Z, Luo X, Cui G, Peng G, Izpisúa Belmonte JC, Ji W, Tan T, Science 2019 Oct
- Precise in vivo genome editing via single homology arm donor mediated intron-targeting gene integration for genetic disease correction.
- Suzuki K, Yamamoto M, Hernandez-Benitez R, Li Z, Wei C, Soligalla RD, Aizawa E, Hatanaka F, Kurita M, Reddy P, Ocampo A, Hishida T, Sakurai M, Nemeth AN, Nuñez Delicado E, Campistol JM, Magistretti P, Guillen P, Rodriguez Esteban C, Gong J, Yuan Y, Gu Y, Liu GH, López-Otín C, Wu J, Zhang K, Izpisua Belmonte JC, Cell Res. 2019 Aug
- Transcriptionally active HERV-H retrotransposons demarcate topologically associating domains in human pluripotent stem cells.
- Zhang Y, Li T, Preissl S, Amaral ML, Grinstein JD, Farah EN, Destici E, Qiu Y, Hu R, Lee AY, Chee S, Ma K, Ye Z, Zhu Q, Huang H, Fang R, Yu L, Izpisua Belmonte JC, Wu J, Evans SM, Chi NC, Ren B, Nat. Genet. 2019 Aug
- Generation of pig induced pluripotent stem cells using an extended pluripotent stem cell culture system.
- Xu J, Yu L, Guo J, Xiang J, Zheng Z, Gao D, Shi B, Hao H, Jiao D, Zhong L, Wang Y, Wu J, Wei H, Han J, Stem Cell Res Ther 2019 Jun 10 1 193
- Mutations in foregut SOX2+ cells induce efficient proliferation via CXCR2 pathway.
- Hishida T, Vazquez-Ferrer E, Hishida-Nozaki Y, Sancho-Martinez I, Takahashi Y, Hatanaka F, Wu J, Ocampo A, Reddy P, Wu MZ, Gerken L, Shaw RJ, Rodriguez Esteban C, Benner C, Nakagawa H, Guillen Garcia P, Nuñez Delicado E, Castells A, Campistol JM, Liu GH, Izpisua Belmonte JC, Protein Cell 2019 Apr
- Up-regulation of FOXD1 by YAP alleviates senescence and osteoarthritis.
- Fu L, Hu Y, Song M, Liu Z, Zhang W, Yu FX, Wu J, Wang S, Izpisua Belmonte JC, Chan P, Qu J, Tang F, Liu GH, PLoS Biol. 2019 Apr 17 4 e3000201
Honors & Awards
- Virginia Murchison Linthicum Scholar in Medical Research
The Endowed Scholars Program in Medical Science provides generous financial support over four years to newly appointed tenure-track assistant professors at UT Southwestern Medical Center. (2018)
- CPRIT Scholar: First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members Program
The First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members program recruits emerging investigators pursuing their first faculty appointment who have the ability to make outstanding contributions to the field of cancer research. (2017)
- Postdoctoral Training Fellowship , California Institute for Regenerative Medicine