Diane M. Twickler, M.D., FACR, is a tenured Professor of Radiology, and Obstetrics and Gynecology at UT Southwestern, and holder of the Dr. Fred Bonte Professorship in Radiology. She serves the Department of Radiology as Vice Chair at Large, after several roles in residency education, and Parkland Health and Hospital System as Medical Director of Obstetric and Gynecologic Ultrasound. Her clinical interests include fetal and gynecologic imaging with ultrasound (US) and magnetic resonance (MR), imaging, and imaging of maternal complications of pregnancy.
Being part of the dedicated and hard-working team of UT Southwestern physicians is a source of personal pride and satisfaction.
Dr. Twickler is one of five members of the Strategic Planning Committee for Undergraduate Medical Education, a group tasked with implementing an innovative medical school curriculum at UT Southwestern. She also is a member of the university’s Promotion and Tenure Committee, and serves as the course director for Radiology Grand Rounds.
After receiving her bachelor’s degree in occupational therapy from the University of Illinois at Chicago, Dr. Twickler earned her medical degree from UT Southwestern. She completed her residency training in diagnostic radiology, and received advanced training in body imaging through a fellowship at UT Southwestern.
A longtime interest in women's health
The focus of her research includes fetal MR biometry and associated quantitative assessment of fetal dysmorphology, the role of ultrasound and MR imaging in placentation including myometrial invasion, and imaging of ovarian and uterine diseases.
In addition to authoring more than 100 publications, Dr. Twickler is associate editor of Williams Obstetrics and has written 13 book chapters emphasizing her areas of clinical expertise. She also serves as a reviewer for multiple academic journals, including Radiology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Journal of Roentgenology, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, in addition to serving as a special reviewer for a host of other specialty journals.
Dr. Twickler is an active member of numerous local, state, national and international societies, including medical, radiologic and ultrasound communities. She is a Fellow of the American College of Radiology, and has assumed many roles in the Texas Radiological Society, and is a founding member of the Texas Radiologic Society Foundation.
In addition to spending time with her family and friends, Dr. Twickler enjoys traveling, playing recreational tennis and practicing yoga.
- Medical School
- University of Illinois College of Medicine (1982)
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1984)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1989), Diagnostic Radiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), Ultrasound
- Antenatal diagnosis with ultrasound and MR imaging
- Imaging of maternal complications of pregnancy
- Obstetric and gynecologic ultrasound
- Fetal MR Imaging of Gastrointestinal Abnormalities.
- Furey EA, Bailey AA, Twickler DM Radiographics 2016 May-Jun 36 3 904-17
- MR imaging of the fetal cerebellar vermis: Biometric predictors of adverse neurologic outcome.
- Xi Y, Brown E, Bailey A, Twickler DM J Magn Reson Imaging 2016 Apr
- Sonographic Findings of Morbidly Adherent Placenta in the First Trimester.
- Rac MW, Moschos E, Wells CE, McIntire DD, Dashe JS, Twickler DM J Ultrasound Med 2015 Dec
- Ultrasound predictors of placental invasion: the Placenta Accreta Index.
- Rac MW, Dashe JS, Wells CE, Moschos E, McIntire DD, Twickler DM Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014 Oct
- Effect of Maternal Obesity on the Ultrasound Detection of Anomalous Fetuses
- Jodi S. Dashe, Donald D. McIntire, and Diane M. Twickler Obstetrics & Gynecology May 2009 113/5 1001-1007
- Saline-Infusion Sonography Endometrial Sampling Compared With Endometrial Biopsy in Diagnosing Endometrial Pathology
- Elysia Moschos, Rahella Ashfaq, Donald D. McIntire, Bieviendo Liriano, Diane M. Twickler Obetrics & Gynecology April 2009 113/4 881-887
- Endometrial thickness predicts intrauterine pregnancy in patients with pregnancy of unknown location
- Moschos E, Twickler DM Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol December 2008 32 (7) 929-934
- Increased cerebral blood flow in preenclampsia with magnetic resonance imaging
- Zeeman GG, Hatab MR, Twickler DM American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology October 2004 191 (4) 1425-1429
- Comparison of magnetic resonance imaging to ultrasound in the estimation of birth weight at term
- Zaretsky MV, Reichel TF, McIntire DD, Twickler DM American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology October 2003 189 (4) 1017-1020
- Number of Risk Factors in Down Syndrome Pregnancies.
- Hussamy DJ, Herrera CL, Twickler DM, Mcintire DD, Dashe JS Am J Perinatol 2018 Jul
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Radiology
- Holder of Dr. Fred Bonte Professorship
- Golden Apple Award
Excellence in the Education of Radiology Residents (1996)
- Distinguished Teaching Award
Obstetrics & Gynecology Residents (1991)
- American Association for Women Radiologists
- American College of Radiology
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- American Medical Association
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Association of University Radiologists
- Chancellor's Council of the University of Texas System
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Dallas-Fort Worth Radiological Society
- International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Radiological Society of North America
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Radiological Society