Dr. Canas is a clinical neuropsychologist at Children’s Health and an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) Medical Center. Dr. Canas conducts neuropsychological evaluations of pediatric patients with an array of complex medical, developmental, and neurological conditions, with an emphasis on bilingual (Spanish/English) patients, as well as those with Neurofibromatosis, Type I (NF1) and congenital heart disease (CHD). She is the Lead Pediatric Neuropsychologist for the Children’s Health/UTSW Neurofibromatosis Program and the Bilingual Neuropsychologis for the Children's Health Heart Center Fontan Program.
Dr. Canas’s clinical interests include formulating effective methods by which to establish the need for comprehensive neuropsychological evaluations in patients with NF1 and CHD and increasing the quality of care provided to Spanish-speaking families. Her research interests primarily revolve around the cognitive, academic, and psychosocial outcomes of NF1, CHD, and dual language exposure.
Dr. Canas is actively involved in multiple professional organizations and is currently the Chair of Communications for the Hispanic Neuropsychological Society. She is also the Co-Chair of the Children’s Health Neuropsychology Bilingual Committee, serves on the UTSW Clinical Training Committee, and participates in the education and clinical supervision of trainees.
- Southern Methodist University (2006), Psychology
- Graduate School
- Southern Methodist University (2009), Counseling Psychology
- Graduate School
- Texas Woman's University (2014), School Psychology
- Collaborator/Co-Investigator for the Children's Health Heart Center Fontan Program (Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Outcome Collaborative Member)
- Collaborator/Co-Investigator for the UTSW Neurofibromatosis (NF) Research Program (NF Clinical Trials Consortium Member)
- Practical Considerations in the Neuropsychological Assessment of Bilingual (Spanish-English) Children in the United States: Literature Review and Case Series.
- Canas A, Bordes Edgar V, Neumann J, Dev Neuropsychol 2020 07 45 4 211-231
- Hispanic Neuropsychological Society (2019)
- International Neuropsychological Society (2013)