Madhukar Trivedi is Professor of Psychiatry, Chief of the Division of Mood Disorders, and Director of the Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He earned his MBBS and MS in Baroda, India, completing his residencies in Psychiatry at University General Hospital, Baroda, India and Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan. He completed his fellowship at UT Southwestern, where he now serves as Betty Jo Hay Distinguished Chair in Mental Health and Julie K. Hersh Chair for Depression Research and Clinical Care. Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Dr. Trivedi is an established clinical and translational researcher with extensive experience serving as PI and Co-PI on several single and multi-site clinical trials funded by NIH, foundations and industry sponsors.
Dr. Trivedi’s research over the last 25 years has focused on understanding the neurobiology and psychology of depression and bipolar disorder, with a particular focus on developing an empirical basis for improving treatment of depression. Dr. Trivedi and his team have been involved in many of the pivotal studies involving the establishment of efficacy of antidepressant treatments (medications, psychotherapy, exercise, complimentary treatments, devices, etc.), examining next steps in treatment resistant depression to develop algorithms and guidelines, and developing and validating biomarkers in order to reach the goal of precision medicine for mood disorders. Among his most notable studies are the Establishing Moderators and Biosignatures of Antidepressant Response for Clinical Care (EMBARC) trial, Combining Medications to Enhance Depression Outcomes (CO-MED) trial, Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D) study, and the Texas Resilience Against Depression (T-RAD) study.
His numerous awards include the National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association Scientific Advisory Board, the Psychiatric Excellence Award from the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP), the Gerald Klerman Senior Investigator Award, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) Award for Research, and the American College of Psychiatrists (ACP) Award for Research in Mood Disorders. For six consecutive years, Dr. Trivedi has been named a Global Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics. He is also a member of numerous other professional organizations, including the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP), the American College of Psychiatrists (ACP), the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Psychiatric Association (APA), the Dallas County Medical Society, the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SBP), the Texas Medical Association (TMA), and the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP). Dr. Trivedi currently serves as Deputy Editor of the American Journal of Psychiatry and as president of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP).
- Medical School
- Baroda Medical College (1980)
- S.S. General Hospital (1981), Psychiatry
- University General Hospital (1985), Psychiatry
- Henry Ford Health Systems (1990), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1993), Psychiatry
- Evidence based psychopharmacology and treatment algorithms in Mood Disorders
- Functional Brain Imaging in Major Depressive and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
- Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology of Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Bupropion and Naltrexone in Methamphetamine Use Disorder.
- Trivedi MH, Walker R, Ling W, Dela Cruz A, Sharma G, Carmody T, Ghitza UE, Wahle A, Kim M, Shores-Wilson K, Sparenborg S, Coffin P, Schmitz J, Wiest K, Bart G, Sonne SC, Wakhlu S, Rush AJ, Nunes EV, Shoptaw S, N Engl J Med 2021 01 384 2 140-153
- Experiencing bullying's impact on adolescent depression and anxiety: Mediating role of adolescent resilience.
- Anderson JR, Mayes TL, Fuller A, Hughes JL, Minhajuddin A, Trivedi M, J Affect Disord 2022 Apr
- Socioeconomic Predictors of Treatment Outcomes Among Adults With Major Depressive Disorder.
- Mills JA, Suresh V, Chang L, Mayes T, Croarkin PE, Trivedi MH, Strawn JR, Psychiatr Serv 2022 Mar appips202100559
- Neural substrates of emotional conflict with anxiety in major depressive disorder: Findings from the Establishing Moderators and biosignatures of Antidepressant Response in Clinical Care (EMBARC) randomized controlled trial.
- Trombello JM, Cooper CM, Fatt CC, Grannemann BD, Carmody TJ, Jha MK, Mayes TL, Greer TL, Yezhuvath U, Aslan S, Pizzagalli DA, Weissman MM, Webb CA, Dillon DG, McGrath PJ, Fava M, Parsey RV, McInnis MG, Etkin A, Trivedi MH, J Psychiatr Res 2022 Mar 149 243-251
- Multi-Omics Characterization of Early- and Adult-Onset Major Depressive Disorder.
- Grant CW, Barreto EF, Kumar R, Kaddurah-Daouk R, Skime M, Mayes T, Carmody T, Biernacka J, Wang L, Weinshilboum R, Trivedi MH, Bobo WV, Croarkin PE, Athreya AP, J Pers Med 2022 Mar 12 3
- Evidence for machine learning guided early prediction of acute outcomes in the treatment of depressed children and adolescents with antidepressants.
- Athreya AP, Vande Voort JL, Shekunov J, Rackley SJ, Leffler JM, McKean AJ, Romanowicz M, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes T, Trivedi M, Wang L, Weinshilboum RM, Bobo WV, Croarkin PE, J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2022 Mar
- Pitfalls and Recommended Strategies and Metrics for Suppressing Motion Artifacts in Functional MRI.
- Raval V, Nguyen KP, Pinho M, Dewey RB, Trivedi M, Montillo AA, Neuroinformatics 2022 Mar
- Time for united action on depression: a Lancet-World Psychiatric Association Commission.
- Herrman H, Patel V, Kieling C, Berk M, Buchweitz C, Cuijpers P, Furukawa TA, Kessler RC, Kohrt BA, Maj M, McGorry P, Reynolds CF, Weissman MM, Chibanda D, Dowrick C, Howard LM, Hoven CW, Knapp M, Mayberg HS, Penninx BWJH, Xiao S, Trivedi M, Uher R, Vijayakumar L, Wolpert M, Lancet 2022 03 399 10328 957-1022
- Moderation of buprenorphine therapy for cocaine dependence efficacy by variation of the Prodynorphin gene.
- Nielsen DA, Walker R, Graham DP, Nielsen EM, Hamon SC, Hillhouse M, Shmueli-Blumberg D, Lawson WB, Shores-Wilson K, Settles-Reaves BD, Rotrosen J, Trivedi MH, Saxon AJ, Ling W, Kosten TR, Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2022 Feb
- Psychometric and Clinical Evaluation of the Clinician (VQIDS-C5) and Self-Report (VQIDS-SR5) Versions of the Very Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptoms.
- Rush AJ, Madia ND, Carmody T, Trivedi MH, Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2022 18 289-302
Primer on Depression
(Ed.) (2019). New York, NY, Oxford University Press
Managing Relapse in Depression
Nierenberg, A.A., Sussman, N., Trivedi, MH (2003). London, UK, Science Press Ltd
Computerized Medication Algorithms in Behavioral Health Care. In Behavioral Health Care Informatics
Trivedi, MH, Kern, J.K., Voegtle, T.M., Baker, S.M., Altshuler. K.Z. (2001). NewYork, NY, Springer-Verlag NewYork Inc
Honors & Awards
- 2020 Excellence in Healthcare Award
D CEO Magazine (2020)
- Dallas Future 50 list
Dallas Innovates 2020: The Magazine (2020)
American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2020)
- Scientific Advisor
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (2020)
American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2019)
- Worlds Most Influential Scientific Minds / Highly Cited Researcher
Clarivate Analytics (former Thomson Reuters) (2019)
- Outstanding Academician Award
Indo American Psychiatric Association (IAPA) (2005)
- Honorary International Advisory Member
The Chinese Pharmacology Algorithm Project (2002)
- Psychiatric Excellence Award
Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP) (2002)
- Gerald L. Klerman Young Investigator Award
National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association Scientific Advisory Board (2000)
- Depression Specific Content Expert, Evidence Based Report Center (San Antonio)
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research , U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services (1997)
- International Society for Bipolar Disorders (2018)
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2009)
- The American College of Psychiatrists (2002)
- American Medical Association (1995)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1995)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (1995)
- ACNP American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- American Psychiatric Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians