Madhukar Trivedi is Professor of Psychiatry, Chief of the Division of Mood Disorders, and Director of the Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He earned his MBBS and MS in Baroda, India, completing his residencies in Psychiatry at University General Hospital, Baroda, India and Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan. He completed his fellowship at UT Southwestern, where he now serves as Betty Jo Hay Distinguished Chair in Mental Health and Julie K. Hersh Chair for Depression Research and Clinical Care. Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Dr. Trivedi is an established clinical and translational researcher with extensive experience serving as PI and Co-PI on several single and multi-site clinical trials funded by NIH, foundations and industry sponsors.
Dr. Trivedi’s research over the last 25 years has focused on understanding the neurobiology and psychology of depression and bipolar disorder, with a particular focus on developing an empirical basis for improving treatment of depression. Dr. Trivedi and his team have been involved in many of the pivotal studies involving the establishment of efficacy of antidepressant treatments (medications, psychotherapy, exercise, complimentary treatments, devices, etc.), examining next steps in treatment resistant depression to develop algorithms and guidelines, and developing and validating biomarkers in order to reach the goal of precision medicine for mood disorders. Among his most notable studies are the Establishing Moderators and Biosignatures of Antidepressant Response for Clinical Care (EMBARC) trial, Combining Medications to Enhance Depression Outcomes (CO-MED) trial, Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D) study, and the Texas Resilience Against Depression (T-RAD) study.
His numerous awards include the National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association Scientific Advisory Board, the Psychiatric Excellence Award from the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP), the Gerald Klerman Senior Investigator Award, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) Award for Research, and the American College of Psychiatrists (ACP) Award for Research in Mood Disorders. For six consecutive years, Dr. Trivedi has been named a Global Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics. He is also a member of numerous other professional organizations, including the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP), the American College of Psychiatrists (ACP), the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Psychiatric Association (APA), the Dallas County Medical Society, the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SBP), the Texas Medical Association (TMA), and the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP). Dr. Trivedi currently serves as Deputy Editor of the American Journal of Psychiatry and as president of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP).
- Medical School
- Baroda Medical College (1980)
- S.S. General Hospital (1981), Psychiatry
- University General Hospital (1985), Psychiatry
- Henry Ford Health Systems (1990), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1993), Psychiatry
- Evidence based psychopharmacology and treatment algorithms in Mood Disorders
- Functional Brain Imaging in Major Depressive and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
- Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology of Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Bupropion and Naltrexone in Methamphetamine Use Disorder.
- Trivedi MH, Walker R, Ling W, Dela Cruz A, Sharma G, Carmody T, Ghitza UE, Wahle A, Kim M, Shores-Wilson K, Sparenborg S, Coffin P, Schmitz J, Wiest K, Bart G, Sonne SC, Wakhlu S, Rush AJ, Nunes EV, Shoptaw S, N Engl J Med 2021 01 384 2 140-153
- Alterations in resting-state functional activity and connectivity for major depressive disorder appetite and weight disturbance phenotypes.
- Piccolo M, Belleau EL, Holsen LM, Trivedi MH, Parsey RV, McGrath PJ, Weissman MM, Pizzagalli DA, Javaras KN, Psychol Med 2022 Jun 1-11
- Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale factors in treatment-resistant depression at onset of treatment: Derivation, replication, and change over time during treatment with esketamine.
- Borentain S, Gogate J, Williamson D, Carmody T, Trivedi M, Jamieson C, Cabrera P, Popova V, Wajs E, DiBernardo A, Daly EJ, Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 2022 Jun e1927
- A Characterization of the Clinical Global Impression Scale Thresholds in the Treatment of Adolescent Depression Across Multiple Rating Scales.
- Zhang CY, Voort JLV, Yuruk D, Mills JA, Emslie GJ, Kennard BD, Mayes T, Trivedi M, Bobo WV, Strawn JR, Athreya AP, Croarkin PE, J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2022 Jun 32 5 278-287
- Toward a Definition of "No Meaningful Benefit" From Antidepressant Treatment: An Equipercentile Analysis With Cross-Trial Validation Across Multiple Rating Scales.
- Zhang C, Virani S, Mayes T, Carmody T, Croarkin PE, Weinshilboum R, Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Athreya AP, Bobo WV, J Clin Psychiatry 2022 Jun 83 4
- Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) Program With Texas Adolescents: Depression, Anxiety, and Substance Use Outcomes.
- Trivedi MH, Nandy K, Mayes TL, Wang T, Forbes K, Anderson JR, Fuller A, Hughes JL, J Clin Psychiatry 2022 May 83 4
- Dynamic Resting-State Network Biomarkers of Antidepressant Treatment Response.
- Kaiser RH, Chase HW, Phillips ML, Deckersbach T, Parsey RV, Fava M, McGrath PJ, Weissman M, Oquendo MA, McInnis MG, Carmody T, Cooper CM, Trivedi MH, Pizzagalli DA, Biol Psychiatry 2022 Apr
- Experiencing bullying's impact on adolescent depression and anxiety: Mediating role of adolescent resilience.
- Anderson JR, Mayes TL, Fuller A, Hughes JL, Minhajuddin A, Trivedi M, J Affect Disord 2022 Apr
- Socioeconomic Predictors of Treatment Outcomes Among Adults With Major Depressive Disorder.
- Mills JA, Suresh V, Chang L, Mayes T, Croarkin PE, Trivedi MH, Strawn JR, Psychiatr Serv 2022 Mar appips202100559
- Neural substrates of emotional conflict with anxiety in major depressive disorder: Findings from the Establishing Moderators and biosignatures of Antidepressant Response in Clinical Care (EMBARC) randomized controlled trial.
- Trombello JM, Cooper CM, Fatt CC, Grannemann BD, Carmody TJ, Jha MK, Mayes TL, Greer TL, Yezhuvath U, Aslan S, Pizzagalli DA, Weissman MM, Webb CA, Dillon DG, McGrath PJ, Fava M, Parsey RV, McInnis MG, Etkin A, Trivedi MH, J Psychiatr Res 2022 Mar 149 243-251
Primer on Depression
(Ed.) (2019). New York, NY, Oxford University Press
Managing Relapse in Depression
Nierenberg, A.A., Sussman, N., Trivedi, MH (2003). London, UK, Science Press Ltd
Computerized Medication Algorithms in Behavioral Health Care. In Behavioral Health Care Informatics
Trivedi, MH, Kern, J.K., Voegtle, T.M., Baker, S.M., Altshuler. K.Z. (2001). NewYork, NY, Springer-Verlag NewYork Inc
Honors & Awards
- 2020 Excellence in Healthcare Award
D CEO Magazine (2020)
- Dallas Future 50 list
Dallas Innovates 2020: The Magazine (2020)
American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2020)
- Scientific Advisor
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (2020)
American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2019)
- Worlds Most Influential Scientific Minds / Highly Cited Researcher
Clarivate Analytics (former Thomson Reuters) (2019)
- Outstanding Academician Award
Indo American Psychiatric Association (IAPA) (2005)
- Honorary International Advisory Member
The Chinese Pharmacology Algorithm Project (2002)
- Psychiatric Excellence Award
Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (TSPP) (2002)
- Gerald L. Klerman Young Investigator Award
National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association Scientific Advisory Board (2000)
- Depression Specific Content Expert, Evidence Based Report Center (San Antonio)
Agency for Health Care Policy and Research , U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services (1997)
- International Society for Bipolar Disorders (2018)
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (2009)
- The American College of Psychiatrists (2002)
- American Medical Association (1995)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1995)
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (1995)
- ACNP American College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- American Psychiatric Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians