Srinivas obtained his Ph.D. from The University of Texas at Austin and then joined Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center as an American Cancer Society Fellow with Dr. Joan Massague. At MSKCC, he developed novel models of lung and breast adenocarcinomas to study latent metastasis.
Latent metastasis is the least studied and decisive phase of the metastatic cascade. Cancer cells in this state are resistant to conventional or targeted therapies that kill growing cancer cells, therefore identifying its cellular and molecular determinants will open a major untapped opportunity to prevent metastasis.
Dr. Malladi’s lab in the Department of Pathology is focused on understanding how disseminated cancer cells survive and give rise to metastasis at a cellular and molecular level using a multidisciplinary and integrative approach.
- Cancer Invasion and Metastasis
- Metastatic Stem Cells
- Tumor Biology and Microenvironment
- Pericyte-like spreading by disseminated cancer cells activates YAP and MRTF for metastatic colonization.
- Er EE, Valiente M, Ganesh K, Zou Y, Agrawal S, Hu J, Griscom B, Rosenblum M, Boire A, Brogi E, Giancotti FG, Schachner M, Malladi S, Massagué J Nat. Cell Biol. 2018 Aug 20 8 966-978
- Metastatic Latency and Immune Evasion through Autocrine Inhibition of WNT.
- Malladi S, Macalinao DG, Jin X, He L, Basnet H, Zou Y, de Stanchina E, Massagué J Cell 2016 Mar 165 1 45-60
- Selection of bone metastasis seeds by mesenchymal signals in the primary tumor stroma.
- Zhang XH, Jin X, Malladi S, Zou Y, Wen YH, Brogi E, Smid M, Foekens JA, Massagué J Cell 2013 Aug 154 5 1060-73
- A CXCL1 paracrine network links cancer chemoresistance and metastasis.
- Acharyya S, Oskarsson T, Vanharanta S, Malladi S, Kim J, Morris PG, Manova-Todorova K, Leversha M, Hogg N, Seshan VE, Norton L, Brogi E, Massagué J Cell 2012 Jul 150 1 165-78
- The Apaf-1*procaspase-9 apoptosome complex functions as a proteolytic-based molecular timer.
- Malladi S, Challa-Malladi M, Fearnhead HO, Bratton SB EMBO J. 2009 Jul 28 13 1916-25
- The Apaf-1 apoptosome induces formation of caspase-9 homo- and heterodimers with distinct activities.
- Wu CC, Lee S, Malladi S, Chen MD, Mastrandrea NJ, Zhang Z, Bratton SB Nat Commun 2016 Nov 7 13565
- The frequency of 1,4-benzoquinone-lysine adducts in cytochrome c correlate with defects in apoptosome activation.
- Fisher AA, Labenski MT, Malladi S, Chapman JD, Bratton SB, Monks TJ, Lau SS Toxicol. Sci. 2011 Jul 122 1 64-72
- Deletion mutational analysis of BMRP, a pro-apoptotic protein that binds to Bcl-2.
- Malladi S, Parsa KV, Bhupathi D, Rodríguez-González MA, Conde JA, Anumula P, Romo HE, Claunch CJ, Ballestero RP, González-García M Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2011 May 351 1-2 217-32
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase cIAP1 binds and ubiquitinates caspase-3 and -7 via unique mechanisms at distinct steps in their processing.
- Choi YE, Butterworth M, Malladi S, Duckett CS, Cohen GM, Bratton SB J. Biol. Chem. 2009 May 284 19 12772-82
- Quinone electrophiles selectively adduct "electrophile binding motifs" within cytochrome c.
- Fisher AA, Labenski MT, Malladi S, Gokhale V, Bowen ME, Milleron RS, Bratton SB, Monks TJ, Lau SS Biochemistry 2007 Oct 46 39 11090-100
Apoptosis. In Comprehensive Toxicology
Srinivas Malladi, Madhavi Challa-Malladi, and Shawn Bratton (2010). Elsevier, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas
Scholar Award (2017-2020)
- American Cancer Society
Research Fellow (2012-2015)
- University of Texas - Austin Graduate Student Fellowship
- American Association for Cancer Research (2010)