I truly believe “if you have a body, you are an athlete”.
My goal is to help every one of my patients stay active and healthy, and to meet their own personal goals—whether this is to win a gold medal or pick up a grandchild. I am interested in all domains of non-operative sports and musculoskeletal medicine, though I have a special interest in:
- Bone health and non-operative fracture management
- Women’s health and the female athlete triad
- Dance and performing arts medicine
- Adaptive athletes and adaptive sports injuries
I specialize in a vast array of diagnostic and treatment options, including:
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided injections, including needle tenotomy, joint injections and nerve blocks
- X-ray guided lumbar spine injections
- Platelet-rich plasma
- Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (2012), Medicine
- Georgetown University/Inova Fairfax Hospital (2013), Internal Medicine
- Harvard Medical School/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital (2016), Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Northwestern University/Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (2017), Sports Medicine
- Adaptive Sports: Injury Epidemiology, Prevent and Treatment of Injury
- Bone health and high risk stress fracture management
- Diagnostic and Interventional Ultrasound
- Optimizing patient outcomes following musculoskeletal procedures
- Femoral Neck Stress Fracture: Can MRI Grade Help Predict Return-to-Running Time?
- Ramey LN, McInnis KC, Palmer WE Am J Sports Med 2016 Aug 44 8 2122-9
- Variation in 30-Day Readmission Rates Among Medically Complex Patients at Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities and Contributing Factors.
- Ramey L, Goldstein R, Zafonte R, Ryan C, Kazis L, Schneider J J Am Med Dir Assoc 2016 May
- Rehabilitation of Susac Syndrome: A Case Report.
- Ramey LN, Lopez E, Young T Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2016 Apr 95 4 e48-52
- High-Risk Stress Fractures: Diagnosis and Management.
- McInnis KC, Ramey LN PM R 2016 Mar 8 3 Suppl S113-24
- Ultrasound identification of maximal subdeltoid bursa distenstion alters the ultrasound-guided injection approach for shoulder pain
- Ramey LN, Knowlton SE, Amorese-O'Connell L, Kohler MJ. Phys Med Rehabil Int 2015 5 2 1048
- Review and comments on Dr. RG Timmon's articles: "Biceps femoris, long head architecture: a reliability and retrospective injury study."
- Ramey LN, Cianca J. Sports Rev J 2015 3 1 16-17
- The effects of exercise on decreasing pain and increasing function in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a systematic review.
- Frye JL, Ramey LN, Hart JM Sports Health 2012 May 4 3 205-10
Epidemiology of injury in the young dancer.. In Prevention of injuries in the young dancer.
Ramey L, Yin A. (2017). Marlton, NJ, Springer International
Proximal hamstring tendinopathy.. In Tendinopathy: From Basic Science to Clinical Management
Ramey L, Ihm J, Tjong V. (In Press).
Upper extremity musculoskeletal injuries in pregnancy.. In Musculoskeletal Health in Pregnancy and Postpartum.
Borg-Stein J, Stein K, Ramey L (2015). Switzerland, Springer International
Low back pain.. In Primary care: a collaborative practice,
Ramey L, Isaac Z, Alzner S. (2016). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Baskin Research Award, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Award to acknowledge best fellow research (2016-2017)
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Foundation Resident Scholarship Award
Awarded annually to 5 exemplary trainees within any medical specialty studying sports medicine (2015)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Best App Design Award
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Grand Hack, Second Place
Awarded for the development of the highest rated medical innovative device, wearables track (2015)
- Walter R. Frontera Outstanding Researcher Award, Harvard Medical School.
- Dean's Community Service Award, Harvard Medical School
Award to acknowledge commitment to community service (2013-2016)
- Partners in Excellence Award for Outstanding Service, Partners Healthcare.
- Paul J. Corcoran Trainee Award of Excellence, Harvard Medical School06/2016.
Award for exemplary training and representation of the field of PM&R (2013-2016)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (2017)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University (2016-2017)
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital (2016-2017)
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital (2013-2016)
- Georgetown University (2012-2013)
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (2008-2012)
- University of Virginia (2004-2008)