Originally from Chicago, Dr. Huen earned her bachelor's and medical degrees at Northwestern University. She completed her postdoctorate degree at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. She completed postdoctoral training in internal medicine at New York University, as well as nephrology and immunobiology at Yale.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in nephrology, Dr. Huen joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Huen enjoys cooking, photography and hiking.
- Medical School
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (2004)
- New York University School of Medicine (2007), Internal Medicine
- Yale University School of Medicine (2012), Nephrology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013)
- Graduate School
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013), Investigative Medicine
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Inflammation and Sepsis
- Inflammatory (sepsis and cancer-related) cachexia
- Renal Metabolism
- Fasting-induced renal HMGCS2 expression does not contribute to circulating ketones.
- Venable AH, Lee LE, Feola K, Santoyo J, Broomfield T, Huen SC, Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2022 Feb
- Hepatic FGF21 preserves thermoregulation and cardiovascular function during bacterial inflammation.
- Huen SC, Wang A, Feola K, Desrouleaux R, Luan HH, Hogg R, Zhang C, Zhang QJ, Liu ZP, Medzhitov R, J Exp Med 2021 Oct 218 10
- When a calorie isn't just a calorie: a revised look at nutrition in critically ill patients with sepsis and acute kidney injury.
- Nadamuni M, Venable AH, Huen SC, Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2022 Jul 31 4 358-366
- Metabolism as Disease Tolerance: Implications for Sepsis-Associated Acute Kidney Injury.
- Huen SC, Nephron 2021 Jun 1-4
- Survey of Current Practices of Outpatient Hemodialysis for AKI Patients.
- Ortiz-Soriano V, Butler CR, Levy M, Huen SC, Castaneda JL, Sakhuja A, Basu RK, Liu KD, Cerda J, Neyra JA, Kidney Int Rep 2021 Apr 6 4 1156-1160
- Controversies in acute kidney injury: conclusions from a Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Conference.
- Ostermann M, Bellomo R, Burdmann EA, Doi K, Endre ZH, Goldstein SL, Kane-Gill SL, Liu KD, Prowle JR, Shaw AD, Srisawat N, Cheung M, Jadoul M, Winkelmayer WC, Kellum JA, Kidney Int 2020 Aug 98 2 294-309
- Renal tubular cell spliced X-box binding protein 1 (Xbp1s) has a unique role in sepsis-induced acute kidney injury and inflammation.
- Ferrè S, Deng Y, Huen SC, Lu CY, Scherer PE, Igarashi P, Moe OW, Kidney Int 2019 12 96 6 1359-1373
- Targeting protein translation to prevent septic kidney injury.
- Huen SC J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Dec
- Glucose metabolism mediates disease tolerance in cerebral malaria.
- Wang A, Huen SC, Luan HH, Baker K, Rinder H, Booth CJ, Medzhitov R Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 Oct 115 43 11042-11047
- Acute Kidney Injury After Burn: A Cohort Study From the Parkland Burn Intensive Care Unit.
- Clark AT, Li X, Kulangara R, Adams-Huet B, Huen SC, Madni TD, Imran JB, Phelan HA, Arnoldo BD, Moe OW, Wolf SE, Neyra JA J Burn Care Res 2018 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar Award
UT Southwestern (2017)
- Iva Dostanic Physician-Scientist Trainee Award
Yale University School of Medicine (2017)
- Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar
American Society of Nephrology (2016)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Northwestern University (2000)
- American Heart Association, Kidney Council (2012)
- American Society of Nephrology (2008)