Dr. Sarah Huen is originally from Chicago, IL. She received her initial medical training at Northwestern University. She completed her Internal Medicine residency training at New York University Medical Center. Intrigued by the pathophysiology of acute kidney injury and frustrated by the lack of any viable therapeutic options, she pursued a research nephrology fellowship and a Ph.D. degree in Investigative Medicine at Yale University in the laboratory of Dr. Lloyd Cantley studying the role of macrophages in ischemic kidney injury. She was a post doctoral fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Ruslan Medzhitov at Yale where she studied the mechanisms of tissue tolerance and changes in metabolism in systemic inflammation. Dr. Huen joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2017 as an Assistant Professor. Her research interests include investigating renal metabolism in sepsis and other states of inflammation. Outside of medicine and science, she enjoys cooking, photography and hiking.
- Medical School
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (2004)
- New York University School of Medicine (2007), Internal Medicine
- Yale University School of Medicine (2012), Nephrology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013)
- Graduate School
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013), Investigative Medicine
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Inflammation and Sepsis
- Inflammatory (sepsis and cancer-related) cachexia
- Renal Metabolism
- Opposing Effects of Fasting Metabolism on Tissue Tolerance in Bacterial and Viral Inflammation.
- Wang A, Huen SC, Luan HH, Yu S, Zhang C, Gallezot JD, Booth CJ, Medzhitov R Cell 2016 Sep 166 6 1512-1525.e12
- Targeting protein translation to prevent septic kidney injury.
- Huen SC J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Dec
- Glucose metabolism mediates disease tolerance in cerebral malaria.
- Wang A, Huen SC, Luan HH, Baker K, Rinder H, Booth CJ, Medzhitov R Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 Oct 115 43 11042-11047
- Acute Kidney Injury After Burn: A Cohort Study From the Parkland Burn Intensive Care Unit.
- Clark AT, Li X, Kulangara R, Adams-Huet B, Huen SC, Madni TD, Imran JB, Phelan HA, Arnoldo BD, Moe OW, Wolf SE, Neyra JA J Burn Care Res 2018 Sep
- Macrophages in Renal Injury and Repair.
- Huen SC, Cantley LG Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2017 Feb 79 449-469
- Molecular phenotyping of clinical AKI with novel urinary biomarkers.
- Huen SC, Parikh CR Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2015 Sep 309 5 F406-13
- GM-CSF Promotes Macrophage Alternative Activation after Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury.
- Huen SC, Huynh L, Marlier A, Lee Y, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2015 Jun 26 6 1334-45
- Macrophage-mediated injury and repair after ischemic kidney injury.
- Huen SC, Cantley LG Pediatr. Nephrol. 2015 Feb 30 2 199-209
- Macrophage-specific deletion of transforming growth factor-?1 does not prevent renal fibrosis after severe ischemia-reperfusion or obstructive injury.
- Huen SC, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2013 Aug 305 4 F477-84
- Predicting acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: a systematic review.
- Huen SC, Parikh CR Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2012 Jan 93 1 337-47
Honors & Awards
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar Award
UT Southwestern (2017)
- Iva Dostanic Physician-Scientist Trainee Award
Yale University School of Medicine (2017)
- Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar
American Society of Nephrology (2016)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Northwestern University (2000)
- American Heart Association, Kidney Council (2012)
- American Society of Nephrology (2008)