Sarah Huen, M.D., Ph.D.
Department Internal Medicine | Pharmacology
Graduate Programs Cell and Molecular Biology
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Sarah Huen, M.D., Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Internal Medicine and Pharmacology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Nephrology.
Originally from Chicago, Dr. Huen earned her bachelor's and medical degrees at Northwestern University. She completed her postdoctorate degree at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. She completed postdoctoral training in internal medicine at New York University, as well as nephrology and immunobiology at Yale.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in nephrology, Dr. Huen joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Huen enjoys cooking, photography and hiking.
- Medical School
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (2004)
- New York University School of Medicine (2007), Internal Medicine
- Yale University School of Medicine (2012), Nephrology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013)
- Graduate School
- Yale University School of Medicine (2013), Investigative Medicine
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Inflammation and Sepsis
- Inflammatory (sepsis and cancer-related) cachexia
- Renal Metabolism
- Opposing Effects of Fasting Metabolism on Tissue Tolerance in Bacterial and Viral Inflammation.
- Wang A, Huen SC, Luan HH, Yu S, Zhang C, Gallezot JD, Booth CJ, Medzhitov R Cell 2016 Sep 166 6 1512-1525.e12
- Targeting protein translation to prevent septic kidney injury.
- Huen SC J. Clin. Invest. 2018 Dec
- Glucose metabolism mediates disease tolerance in cerebral malaria.
- Wang A, Huen SC, Luan HH, Baker K, Rinder H, Booth CJ, Medzhitov R Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018 Oct 115 43 11042-11047
- Acute Kidney Injury After Burn: A Cohort Study From the Parkland Burn Intensive Care Unit.
- Clark AT, Li X, Kulangara R, Adams-Huet B, Huen SC, Madni TD, Imran JB, Phelan HA, Arnoldo BD, Moe OW, Wolf SE, Neyra JA J Burn Care Res 2018 Sep
- Macrophages in Renal Injury and Repair.
- Huen SC, Cantley LG Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2017 Feb 79 449-469
- Molecular phenotyping of clinical AKI with novel urinary biomarkers.
- Huen SC, Parikh CR Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2015 Sep 309 5 F406-13
- GM-CSF Promotes Macrophage Alternative Activation after Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury.
- Huen SC, Huynh L, Marlier A, Lee Y, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2015 Jun 26 6 1334-45
- Macrophage-mediated injury and repair after ischemic kidney injury.
- Huen SC, Cantley LG Pediatr. Nephrol. 2015 Feb 30 2 199-209
- Macrophage-specific deletion of transforming growth factor-?1 does not prevent renal fibrosis after severe ischemia-reperfusion or obstructive injury.
- Huen SC, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol. 2013 Aug 305 4 F477-84
- Predicting acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: a systematic review.
- Huen SC, Parikh CR Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2012 Jan 93 1 337-47
Honors & Awards
- Disease Oriented Clinical Scholar Award
UT Southwestern (2017)
- Iva Dostanic Physician-Scientist Trainee Award
Yale University School of Medicine (2017)
- Carl W. Gottschalk Research Scholar
American Society of Nephrology (2016)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Northwestern University (2000)
- American Heart Association, Kidney Council (2012)
- American Society of Nephrology (2008)