Dr. Yamamoto received his bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from Keio University (Tokyo Japan). During the Ph.D. program, Dr. Yamamoto was deeply influenced by the Dr. Matt Wilson's work (MIT) and shifted to Computational / Systems Neuroscience. Dr. Yamamoto received his postdoctoral training in the Psychiatry Department at The University of Strasbourg Medical School (Louis Pasteur University, France) and in The Picower Institute for Learning and Memory at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) under supervision of Drs Guy Sandner (until 2000) and Matt Wilson (until 2008). He then worked in the Tonegawa laboratory at MIT as a Research Scientist until early 2017.
Dr. Yamamoto joined the UT Southwestern Medical Center as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry Neuroscience in 2017.
- High-Density Large-Scale Neural Recordings in Psychosis Model Mice.
- Translational Human Recordings / Data Analysis in Psychotic Patients
- Hybrid Microdrive System with Recoverable Opto-Silicon Probe and Tetrode for Dual-Site High Density Recording in Freely Moving Mice.
- Osanai H, Kitamura T, Yamamoto J, J Vis Exp 2019 Aug 150
- Direct Medial Entorhinal Cortex Input to Hippocampal CA1 Is Crucial for Extended Quiet Awake Replay
- Jun Yamamoto, Susumu Tonegawa Neuron 2017 96 1 217-227
- Successful execution of working memory linked to synchronized high-frequency gamma oscillations.
- Yamamoto J, Suh J, Takeuchi D, Tonegawa S Cell 2014 May 157 4 845-57
- Large-scale chronically implantable precision motorized microdrive array for freely behaving animals.
- Yamamoto J, Wilson MA J. Neurophysiol. 2008 Oct 100 4 2430-40
- Multiple types of navigational information are independently encoded in the population activities of the dentate gyrus neurons.
- Murano T, Nakajima R, Nakao A, Hirata N, Amemori S, Murakami A, Kamitani Y, Yamamoto J, Miyakawa T, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2022 Aug 119 32 e2106830119
- Hippocampal-amygdala memory circuits govern experience-dependent observational fear.
- Terranova JI, Yokose J, Osanai H, Marks WD, Yamamoto J, Ogawa SK, Kitamura T, Neuron 2022 Feb
- Novel nose poke-based temporal discrimination tasks with concurrent in vivo calcium imaging in freely moving mice.
- Marks WD, Osanai H, Yamamoto J, Ogawa SK, Kitamura T, Mol Brain 2019 Nov 12 1 90
- Distinct speed dependence of entorhinal island and ocean cells, including respective grid cells.
- Sun C, Kitamura T, Yamamoto J, Martin J, Pignatelli M, Kitch LJ, Schnitzer MJ, Tonegawa S Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015 Jul 112 30 9466-71
- Neural representation of spatial topology in the rodent hippocampus.
- Chen Z, Gomperts SN, Yamamoto J, Wilson MA Neural Comput 2014 Jan 26 1 1-39
- Lack of kainic acid-induced gamma oscillations predicts subsequent CA1 excitotoxic cell death.
- Jinde S, Belforte JE, Yamamoto J, Wilson MA, Tonegawa S, Nakazawa K Eur. J. Neurosci. 2009 Sep 30 6 1036-55
Honors & Awards
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Whitehall Foundation
Research Grant Award (2019-2022)
- Brain & Behavior Research Foundation
NARSAD Young Investigator Research Award (2018-2021)
- Sumitomo Foundation
Basic Research Grant Award (2017-2018)
- Neuroscience graduate program (2018)
- Department of Psychiatry, Neuroscience Division (2017)