Born August 7, 1946; Kansas City, Kansas
Married, three grown children
1968 BA, Zoology (honors), University of Kansas
1974 PhD, Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago
- Biomechanics of the jaw
- Electromyography of jaw muscles
- Human anatomy, especially head and neck anatomy
- Kinesiology of mastication
- Ultrasound Imaging of Soft Tissues of Face
- The relationship between surgical changes in dentofacial morphology and changes in maximum bite force.
- Throckmorton, G.S. and Ellis, E., III J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2001 59 620-627
- Changes in the masticatory cycle following treatment of unilateral posterior crossbite in children.
- Throckmorton, G.S., Buschang, P.H., Hayasaki, H., Santos Pinto, A. American Journal Orthod. Dentofac. Orthoped. 2001 120 521-529
- Facial symmetry after closed and open treatment of fractures of the madibular condylar process.
- Ellis, E., III and Throckmorton, G.S. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2000 58 719-728
- Changes in masticatory patterns after bilateral fractures of the mandibular condyles.
- Throckmorton, G.S., Talwar, R.M., and Ellis, E., III J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 1999 57 500-508
- Masticatory efficiency in children and adolescents with Class I and Class II malocclusions.
- Toro, A., Buschang, P.H., Throckmorton, G., Roldan, S. Europ. J. Orthodont 2006 28 112-199
- Treatment of mandibular condylar process fractures: Biological considerations
- Ellis, E., III and Throckmorton, G.S. J. Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 2005 53 115-134
- Reducing within-subject variation in chewing cycle kinematics: A statistical approach.
- Wintergerst, A.M., Buschang, P.H., Throckmorton, G.S Archs. Oral Biol December 2004 49 991-1000
- Masticatory motion after surgical and non-surgical treatment for unilateral fractures of the mandibular condylar process.
- Throckmorton, G.S., Ellis, E., III, Hayasaki, H. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg 2003 62: 127 127-138
- The effects of bolus hardness on masticatory kinematics.
- Anderson, K., Throckmorton, G.S., Buschang, P.H., Hayasaki, H. Oral Rehabilitation 2002 29/7 689-696
Honors & Awards
- B.F. Dewel Memorial Biomedical Research Award
best grant application to the American Association of Orthodontics Foundation (2002)
- Daniel M. Laskin Award
most outstanding article published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surger (2001)
- American Medical Writers Association
- American Society of Biomechanics
- International Association of Dental Research
- Society of Technical Communication
- Texas Faculty Association