Kyawt Shwin, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT?Southwestern, and a member of its Division of Rheumatic Diseases. She is also a staff physician in the Rheumatology Section of the VA North Texas Health System. Her clinical interests include systemic vasculitis and giant cell arteritis.
Originally from Myanmar, Dr. Shwin earned her bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery degree at the Institute of Medicine 1 in Yangon, where she also completed her internship. She received her internal medicine residency training at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center. She then completed her fellowship in rheumatology at the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and in rheumatology, she joined the UT?Southwestern faculty in 2016.
Dr. Shwin’s research interests include biopsy-based studies for diagnosis and management of rheumatic diseases, and cutaneous manifestations, pathogenesis, and biomarker analysis of rheumatic diseases.
Her investigations have resulted in several publications in peer-reviewed journals and reviews. Additionally, she has presented her findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Shwin is involved in supervising and teaching medical students during their rotations, and presenting Grand Rounds at UT Southwestern and regionally.
- Biopsy-based Studies for Diagnosis and Management of Rheumatic Diseases
- Cutaneous Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases
- Neutrophilic Dermatoses
- Pathogenesis and Biomarker Analysis of Rheumatic Diseases
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Vasculitis and Vasculopathy in Rheumatic Diseases
- Dermatologic Manifestations of Monogenic Autoinflammatory Diseases.
- Shwin KW, Lee CR, Goldbach-Mansky R Dermatol Clin 2017 Jan 35 1 21-38
- Intra-articular, bursa, and tendon sheath injections: a survey of practice patterns among members of the American College of Rheumatology.
- Lazaro D, Alon L, Ramessar N, Cabas-Vargas J, Shwin K, Stefanov DG J Clin Rheumatol 2014 Mar 20 2 91-3
Honors & Awards
- Blue Ribbon Poster Award
Rheumatism Society of the District of Columbia (2016)
- Top Oral Presentation & Outstanding Research Award
North American Young Rheumatology Investigator Forum, Congress of Clinical Rheumatology (2016)
- American College of Rheumatology
- Vasculitis Foundation