Dr. Bishop is the Jane B. and Edwin P. Jenevein, M.D. Chair in Pathology and Chief of Anatomic Pathology at UT Southwestern. A native Texan, Dr. Bishop received his undergraduate and medical degrees at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. He completed his pathology residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore with special training head and neck pathology. Dr. Bishop served as faculty at Johns Hopkins, where he reached the rank of associate professor and was the Director of the Immunohistochemistry laboratory and associate director of the head and neck pathology consult practice.
Dr. Bishop is an expert in the surgical pathology diagnosis of head and neck and endocrine diseases. He has published more than 200 journal articles, 34 book chapters, and 6 books, and lectured extensively both nationally and internationally. Dr. Bishop contributed 15 chapters to the most recent WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumors, and will be the lead author of the upcoming AFIP Fascicle of Salivary Gland Tumors. He is the editor-in-chief of Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology, an associate editor for Modern Pathology and JAMA Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and a member of several additional editorial boards.
Send Dr. Bishop consultation cases to: Justin Bishop, M.D., UT Southwestern Medical Center, Clements University Hospital, 6201 Harry Hines Blvd., Room UH04.250, Dallas, TX 75390
- Medical School
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010), Pathology
- Clinopathologic characterization of head and neck tumors, with an emphasis on salivary gland tumors, sinonasal tract tumors, and human papillomavirus (HPV)-related tumors.
- Microsecretory Adenocarcinoma: A Novel Salivary Gland Tumor Characterized by a Recurrent MEF2C-SS18 Fusion.
- Bishop JA, Weinreb I, Swanson D, Westra WH, Qureshi HS, Sciubba J, MacMillan C, Rooper LM, Dickson BC, Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2019 Aug 43 8 1023-1032
- Ectomesenchymal Chondromyxoid Tumor: A Neoplasm Characterized by Recurrent RREB1-MKL2 Fusions.
- Dickson BC, Antonescu CR, Argyris PP, Bilodeau EA, Bullock MJ, Freedman PD, Gnepp DR, Jordan RC, Koutlas IG, Lee CH, Leong I, Merzianu M, Purgina BM, Thompson LDR, Wehrli B, Wright JM, Swanson D, Zhang L, Bishop JA Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2018 Jun
- HPV-related Multiphenotypic Sinonasal Carcinoma: An Expanded Series of 49 Cases of the Tumor Formerly Known as HPV-related Carcinoma With Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma-like Features.
- Bishop JA, Andreasen S, Hang JF, Bullock MJ, Chen TY, Franchi A, Garcia JJ, Gnepp DR, Gomez-Fernandez CR, Ihrler S, Kuo YJ, Lewis JS, Magliocca KR, Pambuccian S, Sandison A, Uro-Coste E, Stelow E, Kiss K, Westra WH Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Sep
- SMARCB1 (INI-1)-deficient Sinonasal Carcinoma: A Series of 39 Cases Expanding the Morphologic and Clinicopathologic Spectrum of a Recently Described Entity.
- Agaimy A, Hartmann A, Antonescu CR, Chiosea SI, El-Mofty SK, Geddert H, Iro H, Lewis JS, Märkl B, Mills SE, Riener MO, Robertson T, Sandison A, Semrau S, Simpson RH, Stelow E, Westra WH, Bishop JA Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Apr 41 4 458-471
- Adamantinoma-like Ewing family tumors of the head and neck: a pitfall in the differential diagnosis of basaloid and myoepithelial carcinomas.
- Bishop JA, Alaggio R, Zhang L, Seethala RR, Antonescu CR Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2015 Sep 39 9 1267-74
- Human papillomavirus-related carcinoma with adenoid cystic-like features: a peculiar variant of head and neck cancer restricted to the sinonasal tract.
- Bishop JA, Ogawa T, Stelow EB, Moskaluk CA, Koch WM, Pai SI, Westra WH Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2013 Jun 37 6 836-44
- Unmasking MASC: bringing to light the unique morphologic, immunohistochemical and genetic features of the newly recognized mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands.
- Bishop JA Head Neck Pathol 2013 Mar 7 1 35-9
- p40 (?Np63) is superior to p63 for the diagnosis of pulmonary squamous cell carcinoma.
- Bishop JA, Teruya-Feldstein J, Westra WH, Pelosi G, Travis WD, Rekhtman N Mod. Pathol. 2012 Mar 25 3 405-15
- Napsin A and thyroid transcription factor-1 expression in carcinomas of the lung, breast, pancreas, colon, kidney, thyroid, and malignant mesothelioma.
- Bishop JA, Sharma R, Illei PB Hum. Pathol. 2010 Jan 41 1 20-5
- Sinonasal Undifferentiated Carcinoma (SNUC): From an Entity to Morphologic Pattern and Back Again-A Historical Perspective.
- Agaimy A, Franchi A, Lund VJ, Skálová A, Bishop JA, Triantafyllou A, Andreasen S, Gnepp DR, Hellquist H, Thompson LDR, Rinaldo A, Ferlito A, Adv Anat Pathol 2020 Mar 27 2 51-60
Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology: Head and Neck Pathology
Lester Thompson, Justin A Bishop (2018). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists, 2nd Edition
Rekhtman N, Baine MK, Bishop JA (Ed.) (2019). Springer
Differential Diagnoses in Surgical Pathology: Head and Neck
William H Westra, Justin A Bishop (2016). Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer
Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists
Natasha Rekhtman and Justin A Bishop (2011). New York, Springer
Atlas of Radiologic-Cytopathologic Correlations
Armanda Tatsas Syed Z Ali, Justin A Bishop, Salina Tsai, Shelia Sheth, Anil V Parwani (2012). New York, Demos
Atlas of Salivary Gland Cytopathology with Histopathologic Correlations
Chris VandenBussche, Syed Z Ali, William Faquin, Zahra Maleki, Justin A Bishop (2017). New York, Demos