In November 2016, Dr. Kirk joined the Pediatric Cardiology faculty at UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center. He trained at Cambridge University and Guy's Hospital in London, and received specialized training in pediatric cardiology at Harefield Hospital and Freeman Hospital in the UK, Boston Children's Hospital and the Children's Hospital at University of California San Francisco in the US, and at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. Dr. Kirk has 25 years of experience at consultant level in the non-invasive and invasive management of all aspects of congenital cardiac disease. His special interests are heart failure, transplantation, utilizing IT to improve patient care, and developing educational material for trainees and lay people.
- Medical School
- Cambridge University School of Clinical Medicine (1979)
- Guy's Hospital, England (1980), Surgery
- Pembury Hospital, England (1980), General Preventive Medicine
- Alder Hey Children's Hospital, England (1987), Pediatric Cardiology
- Freeman Hospital, England (1989), Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure
- Center effect on posttransplant survival among currently active United States pediatric heart transplant centers.
- Kirk R, Dipchand A Am. J. Transplant. 2018 Dec 18 12 3079
- Worldwide Experience of a Durable Centrifugal Flow Pump in Pediatric Patients.
- Conway J, Miera O, Adachi I, Maeda K, Eghtesady P, Henderson HT, Guleserian K, Fan CS, Kirk R Semin. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2018 Autumn 30 3 327-335
- Waste not, want not: Maximizing use of pediatric marginal donor hearts.
- Kirk R, Dipchand AI Pediatr Transplant 2018 08 22 5 e13244
- Ventricular Assist Device Support as a Bridge to Transplantation in Pediatric Patients.
- Dipchand AI, Kirk R, Naftel DC, Pruitt E, Blume ED, Morrow R, Rosenthal D, Auerbach S, Richmond ME, Kirklin JK J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018 Jul 72 4 402-415
- Comparison of basiliximab vs antithymocyte globulin for induction in pediatric heart transplant recipients: An analysis of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation database.
- Butts RJ, Dipchand AI, Sutcliffe D, Bano M, Dimas V, Morrow R, Das B, Kirk R Pediatr Transplant 2018 Jun 22 4 e13190
- An Extended Role of Continuous Flow Device in Pediatric Mechanical Circulatory Support.
- Peng E, Kirk R, Wrightson N, Duong P, Ferguson L, Griselli M, Butt T, O'Sullivan JJ, MacGowan GA, Crossland D, Schueler S, Hasan A Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2016 Aug 102 2 620-7
- Successful HeartWare Bridge to Recovery in a 3-Year Old: A Game Changer?
- Kirk R, Peng E, Woods A, Flett J, Hewitt T, Griselli M, Schueler S, Wrightson N, Hasan A Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2016 May 101 5 1984-7
- A multicenter study of the HeartWare ventricular assist device in small children.
- Miera O, Kirk R, Buchholz H, Schmitt KR, VanderPluym C, Rebeyka IM, Wrightson N, Berger F, Griselli M, Conway J J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 35 5 679-81
- The 2016 International Society for Heart Lung Transplantation listing criteria for heart transplantation: A 10-year update.
- Mehra MR, Canter CE, Hannan MM, Semigran MJ, Uber PA, Baran DA, Danziger-Isakov L, Kirklin JK, Kirk R, Kushwaha SS, Lund LH, Potena L, Ross HJ, Taylor DO, Verschuuren EA, Zuckermann A J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jan 35 1 1-23
- Fontan-associated liver disease: Implications for heart transplantation.
- Greenway SC, Crossland DS, Hudson M, Martin SR, Myers RP, Prieur T, Hasan A, Kirk R J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jan 35 1 26-33
ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D. (Ed.) (2014). UAB Printing.
Chronic VAD (Destination & Recovery) Therapy in Pediatrics. In ISHLT Monograph Series Pediatric Ventricular Assist Devices. Vol. 11.
Amodeo A, Adorisio R, Kirk R, Miyamoto SD. (2017). UAB Printing
- Association of European Paediatric Cardiologists
- British Cardiac Society
- British Congenital Cardiac Association
- International Pediatric Transplant Association
- International Society of Heart Lung Transplantation
- Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Surgeons
- The Transplantation Society