Khushbu Patel is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and also the Associate Clinical Director of Chemistry, Metabolic Disease and Mass Spectrometry Laboratories at Children’s Health. She participates in the training of pathology residents and clinical chemistry fellows in the areas of pediatric clinical chemistry, metabolic diseases, clinical informatics and test utilization.
Khushbu completed her PhD and COMACC-accredited clinical chemistry fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine within the Department of Pathology and Immunology. She is certified by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry and is an active member of the American Association of Clinical Chemistry (AACC) and also serves on the College of American Pathologist’s Instrumentation Committee.
- Graduate School
- Washington University (2014), Biology
- biomarkers and proteomics
- clinical informatics and test utilization
- mass spectrometry
- metabolic diseases
- reference intervals
- Impact of Hormone Therapy on Laboratory Values in Transgender Patients.
- SoRelle JA, Jiao R, Gao E, Veazey J, Frame I, Quinn AM, Day P, Pagels P, Gimpel N, Patel K. Clin Chem. 2019 1 65 170-179
- A Newborn with Hypothermia and Hyperammonemia.
- Nguyen KQN, Jones PM, Patel K. Clin Chem 2018 2 64 411-413
- Diagnostic Challenges and Laboratory Considerations for Pediatric Sepsis
- Patel K, McElvania E JALM 2018 3 4
- Oncometabolites: A New Paradigm for Oncology, Metabolism, and the Clinical Laboratory.
- Collins RRJ, Patel K, Putnam WC, Kapur P, Rakheja D. Clin Chem 2017 12 63 1812-1820
- Establishing reference intervals for hCG in postmenopausal women.
- Patel KK, Qavi AJ, Hock KG, Gronowski AM Clin. Biochem. 2016 Nov
- Heterophile antibody interference in qualitative urine/serum hCG devices: Case report.
- Patel KK, Gronowski AM Clin. Biochem. 2016 Jun 49 9 729-31
- Incidence of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy among hypercalcemic patients with cancer.
- Szymanski JJ, Otrock ZK, Patel KK, Scott MG Clin. Chim. Acta 2016 Jan 453 190-3
- IL13 activates autophagy to regulate secretion in airway epithelial cells.
- Dickinson JD, Alevy Y, Malvin NP, Patel KK, Gunsten SP, Holtzman MJ, Stappenbeck TS, Brody SL Autophagy 2016 12 2 397-409
- A Fatty blood sample.
- Patel KK, Scott MG Clin. Chem. 2015 Apr 61 4 672-3
- Atg16L1 T300A variant decreases selective autophagy resulting in altered cytokine signaling and decreased antibacterial defense.
- Lassen KG, Kuballa P, Conway KL, Patel KK, Becker CE, Peloquin JM, Villablanca EJ, Norman JM, Liu TC, Heath RJ, Becker ML, Fagbami L, Horn H, Mercer J, Yilmaz OH, Jaffe JD, Shamji AF, Bhan AK, Carr SA, Daly MJ, Virgin HW, Schreiber SL, Stappenbeck TS, Xavier RJ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 May 111 21 7741-6
Point of Care Testing in the Pediatric Setting. In Pediatric Laboratory Medicine
Patel K, Brown S (2017). New York, McGraw Hill
Honors & Awards
- AACC General Research Grant
- CCRAC Early Career Research Award
Children's Clinical Research Advisory Committee (2018)
- Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (2017)
- Academy of the AACC (2016)
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry (2014)