Since 2023, Benjamin Nanes has been appointed as Assistant Professor in the Department of Dermatology and the Lyda Hill Department of Bioinformatics, where his lab studies the molecular basis of skin architecture and epidermal remodeling during wound healing. Specific areas of interest include the signaling function of keratin intermediate filaments and the balance between epidermal stability and plasticity.
Dr. Nanes grew up in Atlanta and received his BA in chemistry from Washington University in St Louis. He then joined the Medical Scientist Training Program at Emory University, where he received his MD and PhD in cell biology. He completed internship in internal medicine and residency in dermatology at UT Southwestern, as well as postdoctoral research training in systems biology.
Dr. Nanes practices general dermatology and has an interest in inherited disorders affecting structural components of the epidermis. He is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Emory University (2016)
- Medical School
- Emory University School of Medicine (2016)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Dermatology
- Epidermal remodeling during wound healing
- Molecular basis of skin architecture
- Keratin isoform shifts modulate motility signals during wound healing.
- Nanes BA, Bhatt K, Azarova E, Rajendran D, Isogai T, Dean KM, Danuser G, bioRxiv 2023 May
- Discoidin domain receptor 2 regulates aberrant mesenchymal lineage cell fate and matrix organization.
- Pagani CA, Bancroft AC, Tower RJ, Livingston N, Sun Y, Hong JY, Kent RN, Strong AL, Nunez JH, Medrano JMR, Patel N, Nanes BA, Dean KM, Li Z, Ge C, Baker BM, James AW, Weiss SJ, Franceschi RT, Levi B, Sci Adv 2022 Dec 8 51 eabq6152
- Increasing the field-of-view in oblique plane microscopy via optical tiling.
- Chen B, Chang BJ, Zhou FY, Daetwyler S, Sapoznik E, Nanes BA, Terrazas I, Gihana GM, Castro LP, Chan IS, Conacci-Sorrell M, Dean KM, Millett-Sikking A, York AG, Fiolka R, Biomed Opt Express 2022 Nov 13 11 5616-5627
- Androgenetic alopecia in COVID-19: Compared to what?
- Nanes BA, J Am Acad Dermatol 2020 12 83 6 e451
- Verrucous pilar cysts infected with beta human papillomavirus.
- Nanes BA, Laknezhad S, Chamseddin B, Doorbar J, Mir A, Hosler GA, Wang RC, J. Cutan. Pathol. 2020 Apr 47 4 381-386
- Robust measurement of clinical improvement in patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus.
- Nanes BA, Zhu JL, Chong BF, Lupus Sci Med 2020 7 1 e000364
- SnapshotDx Quiz: June 2018.
- Nanes BA, Chong BF, J. Invest. Dermatol. 2018 06 138 6 e43
- p120-catenin regulates VE-cadherin endocytosis and degradation induced by the Kaposi sarcoma-associated ubiquitin ligase K5.
- Nanes BA, Grimsley-Myers CM, Cadwell CM, Robinson BS, Lowery AM, Vincent PA, Mosunjac M, Früh K, Kowalczyk AP, Mol. Biol. Cell 2017 01 28 1 30-40
- Slide Set: Reproducible image analysis and batch processing with ImageJ.
- Nanes BA, BioTechniques 2015 Nov 59 5 269-78
- p120-catenin and ?-catenin differentially regulate cadherin adhesive function.
- Oas RG, Nanes BA, Esimai CC, Vincent PA, García AJ, Kowalczyk AP, Mol. Biol. Cell 2013 Mar 24 6 704-14
- American Academy of Dermatology (2017)
- American Society for Cell Biology (2021)
- Society for Investigative Dermatology (2012)