Dr. Andrew Zhang is an accomplished Hand Surgeon and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon. After graduating Summa Cum Laude from Claremont McKenna College in Southern California, Dr. Zhang attended medical school at the prestigious Stanford Medical School (U.S News and World Report Ranked #2 in the country in 2017). He excelled academically publishing numerous articles, some in top national journals such as Nature and Science. Dr. Zhang was recruited to stay at Stanford after medical school to continue his training in Plastic Surgery. Over the next six years, Dr. Zhang honed in his surgical skills, learning from world-renowned plastic surgeons. Dr. Zhang found his passion in hand surgery and reconstructive microsurgery during residency. After completing a year of hand surgery fellowship also at Stanford, Dr. Zhang left California for the great state of Texas to begin his career at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston. His compassionate and affable nature coupled with his clinical acumen and technical ability made him the most sought after hand and microsurgeon in the area. In 2016, Dr. Zhang was recruited to UT Southwestern to lead the reconstructive plastic surgery and hand surgery team at Parkland Memorial Hospital. At the same time, Dr. Zhang also assumed the position of residency program director at UTSW, overseeing one of the best plastic surgery residencies in the country.
Dr. Zhang’s philosophy on providing the best care for his patients is patient-centered teamwork. He provides tailored informative consultations to his patients, explaining difficult topics in simple understandable terms. He uses his knowledge and experience to guide his patients in selecting and tailoring the best treatment options for them. He spends the extra time to make sure all of his patients’ questions are answered. He also surrounds himself with the best nurses and staff who are caring and compassionate.
- Medical School
- Stanford University School of Medicine (2004)
- Stanford Hospital & Clinics (2005), General Surgery
- Stanford Hospital & Clinics (2009), Plastic Surgery
- Chief Resident
- Stanford Hospital & Clinics (2010), Plastic Surgery
- Stanford Hospital & Clinics (2011), Hand Surgery
- Pain and Hand Function.
- Howland N, Lopez M, Zhang AY Hand Clin 2016 Feb 32 1 1-9
- Prospective Randomized Study of the Effect of Music on the Efficiency of Surgical Closures.
- Lies SR, Zhang AY Aesthet Surg J 2015 Sep 35 7 858-63
- Treatment of an unusual trans-scaphoid perilunate avulsion fracture dislocation: a case report.
- Moody L, Zhang AY Hand (N Y) 2015 Jun 10 2 328-32
- Thumb carpometacarpal ligaments inside and out: a comparative study of arthroscopic and gross anatomy from the robert a. Chase hand and upper limb center at stanford university.
- Zhang AY, Van Nortwick S, Hagert E, Yao J, Ladd AL J Wrist Surg 2013 Feb 2 1 55-62
- Flexor tendon rupture after collagenase injection for Dupuytren contracture: case report.
- Zhang AY, Curtin CM, Hentz VR J Hand Surg Am 2011 Aug 36 8 1323-5
- Preventing alar retraction by preservation of the lateral crus.
- Gruber RP, Zhang AY, Zang A, Mohebali K Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2010 Aug 126 2 581-8
- Flexor tendon tissue engineering: bioreactor cyclic strain increases construct strength.
- Saber S, Zhang AY, Ki SH, Lindsey DP, Smith RL, Riboh J, Pham H, Chang J Tissue Eng Part A 2010 Jun 16 6 2085-90
- Invasive Aspergillosis of the Hand Caused by Aspergillus ustus: a Case Report.
- Olorunnipa O, Zhang AY, Curtin CM Hand (N Y) 2010 Mar 5 1 102-5
- Flexor tendon tissue engineering: temporal distribution of donor tenocytes versus recipient cells.
- Thorfinn J, Saber S, Angelidis IK, Ki SH, Zhang AY, Chong AK, Pham HM, Lee GK, Chang J Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2009 Dec 124 6 2019-26
- Tissue-engineered intrasynovial tendons: optimization of acellularization and seeding.
- Zhang AY, Bates SJ, Morrow E, Pham H, Pham B, Chang J J Rehabil Res Dev 2009 46 4 489-98
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Resident Teaching
Teaching award at UTMB (2016)
- Super Doctor: Rising Star
Texas Monthly (2015)
- Top Doc
- Truman Blocker Award
Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons annual award (2015)
- Emanuel B. Kaplan Award for anatomical excellence in surgery of the hand
American Society for Surgery of the Hand (2011)
- Scientific Exhibit of Exceptional Merit
94th Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons (2008)
- Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons (2016)
- ACAPS (2013)
- American Association of Hand Surgeons (2013)
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (2013)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (2012)