Dr. Ryan Butts graduated from the College of Charleston with a degree in Economics and Biology. He was awarded his M.D. from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2005, and completed his Pediatrics residency in Houston at Texas Children’s Hospital. He returned to South Carolina for his Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship, where he was on faculty from 2011 until 2016.
- Medical School
- Medical University of South Carolina (2005)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Medical University of South Carolina (2011), Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure in single ventricle patients
- Outcomes after pediatric heart transplantation
- Pediatric heart failure
- Effect of human leukocyte antigen-C and -DQ matching on pediatric heart transplant graft survival.
- Butts RJ, Savage AJ, Nietert PJ, Kavarana M, Moussa O, Burnette AL, Atz AM J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2014 Dec 33 12 1282-7
- Comparison of pressure-volume loop and echocardiographic measures of diastolic function in patients with a single-ventricle physiology.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Buckley J, Hlavacek AM, Hsia TY, Khambadkone S, Baker GH Pediatr Cardiol 2014 Aug 35 6 998-1006
- Association of human leukocyte antigen donor-recipient matching and pediatric heart transplant graft survival.
- Butts RJ, Scheurer MA, Atz AM, Moussa O, Burnette AL, Hulsey TC, Savage AJ Circ Heart Fail 2014 Jul 7 4 605-11
- Factors associated with serum B-type natriuretic peptide in infants with single ventricles.
- Butts RJ, Zak V, Hsu D, Cnota J, Colan SD, Hehir D, Kantor P, Levine JC, Margossian R, Richmond M, Szwast A, Williams D, Williams R, Atz AM Pediatr Cardiol 2014 Jun 35 5 879-87
- Preoperative steroid treatment does not improve markers of inflammation after cardiac surgery in neonates: results from a randomized trial.
- Graham EM, Atz AM, McHugh KE, Butts RJ, Baker NL, Stroud RE, Reeves ST, Bradley SM, McGowan FX, Spinale FG J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2014 Mar 147 3 902-8
- A composite outcome for neonatal cardiac surgery research.
- Butts RJ, Scheurer MA, Zyblewski SC, Wahlquist AE, Nietert PJ, Bradley SM, Atz AM, Graham EM J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2014 Jan 147 1 428-33
- Feasibility of conductance catheter-derived pressure-volume loops to investigate ventricular mechanics in shunted single ventricles.
- Butts RJ, Hsia TY, Hamilton Baker G Cardiol Young 2013 Oct 23 5 776-9
- Response to a single dose of sildenafil in single-ventricle patients: an echocardiographic evaluation.
- Jackson KW, Butts RJ, Svenson AJ, McQuinn TC, Atz AM Pediatr Cardiol 2013 Oct 34 7 1739-42
- The Thoratec CentriMag for pediatric right ventricular failure.
- Hodge AB, Yeager CJ, Preston TJ, Savage AJ, Butts RJ, Kavarana MN J Extra Corpor Technol 2013 Jun 45 2 133-5
- Effect of prostaglandin duration on outcomes in transposition of the great arteries with intact ventricular septum.
- Butts RJ, Ellis AR, Bradley SM, Hulsey TC, Atz AM Congenit Heart Dis 2012 Jul-Aug 7 4 387-91
Retransplantation of the Pediatric Heart Recipient. In In: Stephen Dunn and Simon Horslen eds. Organ and Tissue Transplantation: Solid Organ Transplantation in Infants and Children
3. Kirk CR, Butts RJ (2017). Springer International Publishing
Standard Monitoring Techniques in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. In da Cruz E, Ivy D, Jaggers J, eds. Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
Butts RJ, Do TB, Atz AM. (2014). Springer-Verlag London; 821-834.
Honors & Awards
- Mitchell I. Rubin Research Award
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina (2016)
- AHA CVDY Early Career Investigator Finalist
- Nominated for Golden Apple Teaching Award
MUSC Childrens Hospital (2013)
- American Heart Association
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplant
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society