Dr. Ryan Butts graduated from the College of Charleston with a degree in Economics and Biology. He was awarded his M.D. from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2005, and completed his Pediatrics residency in Houston at Texas Children’s Hospital. He returned to South Carolina for his Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship, where he was on faculty from 2011 until 2016.
- Medical School
- Medical University of South Carolina (2005)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Medical University of South Carolina (2011), Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure in single ventricle patients
- Outcomes after pediatric heart transplantation
- Pediatric heart failure
- Comparison of basiliximab vs antithymocyte globulin for induction in pediatric heart transplant recipients: An analysis of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation database.
- Butts RJ, Dipchand AI, Sutcliffe D, Bano M, Dimas V, Morrow R, Das B, Kirk R Pediatr Transplant 2018 Jun 22 4 e13190
- Delayed puberty and abnormal anthropometry and its associations with quality of life in young Fontan survivors: A multicenter cross-sectional study.
- Menon SC, Al-Dulaimi R, McCrindle BW, Goldberg DJ, Sachdeva R, Goldstein BH, Seery T, Uzark KC, Chelliah A, Butts R, Henderson H, Johnson T, Williams RV Congenit Heart Dis 2018 Mar
- Echocardiographic Detection of Increased Ventricular Diastolic Stiffness in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients: A Pilot Study.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Hlavacek AM, Taylor CL, Chessa KS, Bandisode VM, Shirali GS, Nutting A, Baker GH J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2017 Dec
- The Pediatric Heart Failure Workforce: An International, Multicenter Survey.
- Auerbach SR, Everitt MD, Butts RJ, Rosenthal DN, Law YM Pediatr Cardiol 2017 Nov
- Longer Ischemic Time is Associated with Increased Ventricular Stiffness as Measured by Pressure-Volume Loop Analysis in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients.
- Schroeder LW, Chowdhury SM, Burnette AL, Kavarana MN, Hamilton Baker G, Savage AJ, Atz AM, Butts RJ Pediatr Cardiol 2017 Oct
- A preliminary comparison of two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography and pressure-volume loop analysis in patients with Fontan physiology: The role of ventricular morphology.
- Steflik D, Butts RJ, Baker GH, Bandisode V, Savage A, Atz AM, Chowdhury SM Echocardiography 2017 Jul
- Effects of persistent Fontan fenestration patency on cardiopulmonary exercise testing variables.
- Heal ME, Jackson LB, Atz AM, Butts RJ Congenit Heart Dis 2017 Jun
- Longitudinal measures of deformation are associated with a composite measure of contractility derived from pressure-volume loop analysis in children.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Taylor CL, Bandisode VM, Chessa KS, Hlavacek AM, Nutting A, Shirali GS, Baker GH Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2017 Jun
- Characteristics of Clinically Diagnosed Pediatric Myocarditis in a Contemporary Multi-Center Cohort.
- Butts RJ, Boyle GJ, Deshpande SR, Gambetta K, Knecht KR, Prada-Ruiz CA, Richmond ME, West SC, Lal AK Pediatr Cardiol 2017 May
- Autoimmune enteropathy and hepatitis in pediatric heart transplant recipient.
- Lewis K, Butts R, Antonio Quiros J, Hudspeth M, Twombley K, Savage A, Self S, Burnette A, Sun S Pediatr Transplant 2017 Jan
Retransplantation of the Pediatric Heart Recipient. In In: Stephen Dunn and Simon Horslen eds. Organ and Tissue Transplantation: Solid Organ Transplantation in Infants and Children
3. Kirk CR, Butts RJ (2017). Springer International Publishing
Standard Monitoring Techniques in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. In da Cruz E, Ivy D, Jaggers J, eds. Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
Butts RJ, Do TB, Atz AM. (2014). Springer-Verlag London; 821-834.
Honors & Awards
- Mitchell I. Rubin Research Award
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina (2016)
- AHA CVDY Early Career Investigator Finalist
- Nominated for Golden Apple Teaching Award
MUSC Childrens Hospital (2013)
- American Heart Association
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplant
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society