Dr. Hammers received his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Lubeck in Germany. He completed a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. He was an Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins, when he was recruited to join the leadership of the KCP. In June of 2016, Dr. Hammers joined the faculty at UT Southwestern, where he is Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and Co-Leader of Clinical Research of the KCP. His research interest is in immunotherapies for kidney cancer. Dr. Hammers is the inaugural recipient of the Eugene P. Frenkel Scholar Award.
- Medical School
- Medizinische Hochschule Luebeck, Germany (1999)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (2005), Internal Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University (2009), Medical Oncology
- Clinical and Translational Research
- Kidney Cancer
- Tumor Microenvironment
- Immunotherapy in kidney cancer: the past, present, and future.
- Hammers H Curr Opin Urol 2016 Aug
- Cabozantinib versus everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma (METEOR): final results from a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Choueiri TK, Escudier B, Powles T, Tannir NM, Mainwaring PN, Rini BI, Hammers HJ, Donskov F, Roth BJ, Peltola K, Lee JL, Heng DY, Schmidinger M, Agarwal N, Sternberg CN, McDermott DF, Aftab DT, Hessel C, Scheffold C, Schwab G, Hutson TE, Pal S, Motzer RJ Lancet Oncol. 2016 Jun
- Safety and Efficacy of Nivolumab in Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated Beyond Progression: A Subgroup Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial.
- George S, Motzer RJ, Hammers HJ, Redman BG, Kuzel TM, Tykodi SS, Plimack ER, Jiang J, Waxman IM, Rini BI JAMA Oncol 2016 May
- Safety and clinical activity of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR)- tyrosine kinase inhibitors after programmed cell death 1 inhibitor treatment in patients with metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Nadal R, Amin A, Geynisman DM, Voss MH, Weinstock M, Doyle J, Zhang Z, Viudez A, Plimack ER, McDermott DF, Motzer R, Rini B, Hammers HJ Ann. Oncol. 2016 Apr
- Cabozantinib versus Everolimus in Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.
- Choueiri TK, Escudier B, Powles T, Mainwaring PN, Rini BI, Donskov F, Hammers H, Hutson TE, Lee JL, Peltola K, Roth BJ, Bjarnason GA, Géczi L, Keam B, Maroto P, Heng DY, Schmidinger M, Kantoff PW, Borgman-Hagey A, Hessel C, Scheffold C, Schwab GM, Tannir NM, Motzer RJ N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Nov 373 19 1814-23
- Nivolumab versus Everolimus in Advanced Renal-Cell Carcinoma.
- Motzer RJ, Escudier B, McDermott DF, George S, Hammers HJ, Srinivas S, Tykodi SS, Sosman JA, Procopio G, Plimack ER, Castellano D, Choueiri TK, Gurney H, Donskov F, Bono P, Wagstaff J, Gauler TC, Ueda T, Tomita Y, Schutz FA, Kollmannsberger C, Larkin J, Ravaud A, Simon JS, Xu LA, Waxman IM, Sharma P N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Nov 373 19 1803-13
- Antagonists of PD-1 and PD-L1 in Cancer Treatment.
- Lipson EJ, Forde PM, Hammers HJ, Emens LA, Taube JM, Topalian SL Semin. Oncol. 2015 Aug 42 4 587-600
- Survival, Durable Response, and Long-Term Safety in Patients With Previously Treated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma Receiving Nivolumab.
- McDermott DF, Drake CG, Sznol M, Choueiri TK, Powderly JD, Smith DC, Brahmer JR, Carvajal RD, Hammers HJ, Puzanov I, Hodi FS, Kluger HM, Topalian SL, Pardoll DM, Wigginton JM, Kollia GD, Gupta A, McDonald D, Sankar V, Sosman JA, Atkins MB J. Clin. Oncol. 2015 Jun 33 18 2013-20
- Nivolumab for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Results of a Randomized Phase II Trial.
- Motzer RJ, Rini BI, McDermott DF, Redman BG, Kuzel TM, Harrison MR, Vaishampayan UN, Drabkin HA, George S, Logan TF, Margolin KA, Plimack ER, Lambert AM, Waxman IM, Hammers HJ J. Clin. Oncol. 2015 May 33 13 1430-7
- Screening assay for blood vessel maturation inhibitors.
- Fu C, van der Zwan A, Gerber S, Van Den Berg S, No E, Wang WC, Sheibani N, Carducci MA, Kachhap S, Hammers HJ Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2013 Aug 438 2 364-9
Honors & Awards
- Eugene P. Frenkel Scholar Award
UT Southwestern (2016)