Dr. Kalra was born in Ohio and raised in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. He is a proud graduate of Michigan State University. He attended medical school at American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine. He completed his internal medicine residency at Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center. After residency, he practiced in Connecticut for over a decade where he was not only on faculty at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, but also was involved in administration and leadership including being Hospitalist Director for over 5 years at The Hospital of Central Connecticut. Dr. Kalra is also involved in multiple publications concerning VTE which can be found in Archives of Internal Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, and Chest. Dr. Kalra’s clinical interest include acute care management of patients, quality improvement, utilization review and medical education. He is married and a proud father of 3 beautiful daughters. He enjoys spending time with the family, movies, music, travel, and sports.
- Medical School
- American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (1999)
- Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center (2004), Internal Medicine
- D-dimer for the exclusion of acute venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a systematic review.
- Stein PD, Hull RD, Patel KC, Olson RE, Ghali WA, Brant R, Biel RK, Bharadia V, Kalra NK Ann. Intern. Med. 2004 Apr 140 8 589-602
- Tracking the uptake of evidence: two decades of hospital practice trends for diagnosing deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
- Stein PD, Hull RD, Ghali WA, Patel KC, Olson RE, Meyers FA, Kalra NK Arch. Intern. Med. 2003 May 163 10 1213-9
- Deep venous thrombosis in a general hospital.
- Stein PD, Patel KC, Kalra NK, El Baage TY, Savarapu P, Silbergleit A, Check FE Chest 2002 Sep 122 3 960-2
- Estimated incidence of acute pulmonary embolism in a community/teaching general hospital.
- Stein PD, Patel KC, Kalra NK, Petrina M, Savarapu P, Furlong JW, Steele RD, Check FE Chest 2002 Mar 121 3 802-5