Originally from Idaho Falls, Idaho, Dr. Wyler holds a bachelor's degree in biology from Brigham Young University-Idaho. He completed his doctorate at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. He completed a postdoctoral fellowship in metabolism under Dr. Joel Elmquist at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Wyler joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Wyler's research interests include hypothalamic research, metabolism, mice research, and serotonin receptors.
- Body Weight Control
- Central Control of Metabolism
- Hypothalamic Development
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Disrupting the ghrelin-growth hormone axis limits ghrelin's orexigenic but not glucoregulatory actions.
- Gupta D, Patterson AM, Osborne-Lawrence S, Bookout AL, Varshney S, Shankar K, Singh O, Metzger NP, Richard CP, Wyler SC, Elmquist JK, Zigman JM, Mol Metab 2021 11 53 101258
- The atypical antipsychotic risperidone targets hypothalamic melanocortin 4 receptors to cause weight gain.
- Li L, Yoo ES, Li X, Wyler SC, Chen X, Wan R, Arnold AG, Birnbaum SG, Jia L, Sohn JW, Liu C, J Exp Med 2021 07 218 7
- Comparative Transcriptomic Analyses of Developing Melanocortin Neurons Reveal New Regulators for the Anorexigenic Neuron Identity.
- Chen X, Wyler SC, Li L, Arnold AG, Wan R, Jia L, Landy MA, Lai HC, Xu P, Liu C, J Neurosci 2020 04 40 16 3165-3177
- The atypical antipsychotic olanzapine causes weight gain by targeting serotonin receptor 2C.
- Lord CC, Wyler SC, Wan R, Castorena CM, Ahmed N, Mathew D, Lee S, Liu C, Elmquist JK, J Clin Invest 2017 Sep 127 9 3402-3406
- Serotonergic Control of Metabolic Homeostasis.
- Wyler SC, Lord CC, Lee S, Elmquist JK, Liu C, Front Cell Neurosci 2017 11 277
- Pet-1 Switches Transcriptional Targets Postnatally to Regulate Maturation of Serotonin Neuron Excitability.
- Wyler SC, Spencer WC, Green NH, Rood BD, Crawford L, Craige C, Gresch P, McMahon DG, Beck SG, Deneris E, J Neurosci 2016 Feb 36 5 1758-74
- Pet-1 Controls Tetrahydrobiopterin Pathway and Slc22a3 Transporter Genes in Serotonin Neurons.
- Wyler SC, Donovan LJ, Yeager M, Deneris E, ACS Chem Neurosci 2015 Jul 6 7 1198-205
- Serotonergic transcriptional networks and potential importance to mental health.
- Deneris ES, Wyler SC, Nat Neurosci 2012 Feb 15 4 519-27
- The effects of estradiol and catecholestrogens on uterine glycogen metabolism in mink (Neovison vison).
- Rose J, Hunt J, Shelton J, Wyler S, Mecham D, Theriogenology 2011 Mar 75 5 857-66
- Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic function.
- Liu C, Maejima T, Wyler SC, Casadesus G, Herlitze S, Deneris ES, Nat Neurosci 2010 Oct 13 10 1190-8