Dr. Pedersen is a native Texan and received his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. After completing his internal medicine residency at the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Phoenix, he was pleased to return to Texas to complete his fellowships in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He is excited to be joining a practice that is on the forefront of liver transplant, expanding access for patients who have certain types of alcoholic liver disease or require multi-organ transplants. His clinical interests include viral hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, alcoholic hepatitis, autoimmune liver disease, cirrhosis, and liver transplantation. Outside of medicine, Dr. Pedersen’s interests include running, hiking, reading, and spending time with his family.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2013)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix (2016), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Gastroenterology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Transplant Hepatology
- Advanced Liver Disease
- Liver Transplantation
- Managing the Symptoms and Complications of Cholestasis.
- Pedersen MR, Mayo MJ, Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken) 2020 Mar 15 3 120-124
- More Than a Rash: Recurrent Hepatocellular Carcinoma After Liver Transplantation.
- Moraveji S, Pedersen MR, Chandramouli S, Kerr TA, Grant LM, ACG Case Rep J 2019 Jul 6 7 e00107
- CON: Patients With Decompensated Cirrhosis Listed for Liver Transplantation Should Be Treated Posttransplant.
- Pedersen MR, Tarlow BD, Mufti AR, Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken) 2019 Jul 14 1 20-23
- Two-stage liver transplant for ruptured hepatic adenoma: A case report.
- Salhanick M, MacConmara MP, Pedersen MR, Grant L, Hwang CS, Parekh JR, World J Hepatol 2019 Feb 11 2 242-249
- Survey of Liver Transplantation Practices for Severe Acute Alcoholic Hepatitis.
- Bangaru S, Pedersen MR, MacConmara MP, Singal AG, Mufti AR, Liver Transpl. 2018 10 24 10 1357-1362
- Effectiveness and Tolerability of Direct Acting Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C in a Real World Elderly Cohort.
- Patel A, Backstedt DW, Abidali H, Choi M, Pedersen M, Seetharam A, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2017 04 15 4 603-604
- Genotype specific peripheral lipid profile changes with hepatitis C therapy.
- Pedersen MR, Patel A, Backstedt D, Choi M, Seetharam AB, World J. Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec 22 46 10226-10231
- Pretransplant Factors and Associations with Postoperative Respiratory Failure, ICU Length of Stay, and Short-Term Survival after Liver Transplantation in a High MELD Population.
- Pedersen MR, Choi M, Brink JA, Seetharam AB, J Transplant 2016 2016 6787854
- Infections after orthotopic liver transplantation.
- Pedersen M, Seetharam A, J Clin Exp Hepatol 2014 Dec 4 4 347-60
Acute on Chronic Liver Failure. In The Critically Ill Cirrhotic Patient
Pedersen, M and Tujios, S (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- AASLD Fellow Ambassador Award
American ASsociation for the Study of Liver Diseases (2018)
- Resident of the Year
University of Arizona College of Medicine (2016)
- American Society of Transplantation (2018)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2015)