Originally from Katy, Dr. Pedersen holds a bachelor's degree in applied music from Baylor University in Waco, where he graduated summa cum laude. He earned his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine. He completed internal medicine residency training at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology, Dr. Pedersen joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Pedersen is a member of the Pre-clerkship Curriculum Committee.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Pedersen’s interests include running, hiking, reading, and spending time with his family.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2013)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix (2016), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Gastroenterology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Transplant Hepatology
- Cholestatic Liver Diseases
- Liver Transplantation
- Ursodeoxycholic Acid Decreases Incidence of Primary Biliary Cholangitis and Biliary Complications After Liver Transplantation: A Meta-Analysis.
- Pedersen MR, Greenan G, Arora S, Murali AR, Mayo MJ, Liver Transpl 2021 06 27 6 866-875
- Survey of Liver Transplantation Practices for Severe Acute Alcoholic Hepatitis.
- Bangaru S, Pedersen MR, MacConmara MP, Singal AG, Mufti AR, Liver Transpl. 2018 10 24 10 1357-1362
- Effectiveness and Tolerability of Direct Acting Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C in a Real World Elderly Cohort.
- Patel A, Backstedt DW, Abidali H, Choi M, Pedersen M, Seetharam A, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2017 04 15 4 603-604
- Managing the Symptoms and Complications of Cholestasis.
- Pedersen MR, Mayo MJ, Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken) 2020 Mar 15 3 120-124
- Genotype specific peripheral lipid profile changes with hepatitis C therapy.
- Pedersen MR, Patel A, Backstedt D, Choi M, Seetharam AB, World J. Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec 22 46 10226-10231
- Pretransplant Factors and Associations with Postoperative Respiratory Failure, ICU Length of Stay, and Short-Term Survival after Liver Transplantation in a High MELD Population.
- Pedersen MR, Choi M, Brink JA, Seetharam AB, J Transplant 2016 2016 6787854
- Infections after orthotopic liver transplantation.
- Pedersen M, Seetharam A, J Clin Exp Hepatol 2014 Dec 4 4 347-60
Acute on Chronic Liver Failure. In The Critically Ill Cirrhotic Patient
Pedersen, M and Tujios, S (2019). Springer
Honors & Awards
- AASLD Fellow Ambassador Award
American ASsociation for the Study of Liver Diseases (2018)
- Resident of the Year
University of Arizona College of Medicine (2016)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2015)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2016)
- American Society of Transplantation (2018)