Dr. Kitamura graduated with a bachleor's degree in Biology from Kyushu University in Japan. He obtained his Ph.D. in Biology at Kyushu University, where he studied molecular mechanisms and functional role of adult hippocampla neurogenesis in rodent brain (Kitamura et al., Cell, 2009).
After a Post-Doc at Mitsubishi-Kagaku institute of life science in Tokyo, Japan and an Assistant Professor at Toyama University in Japan, he conducted neural circuits genetics as a Research Scientist at the Picower Institute for Learning and Memory at MIT, where he applied techniques of advanced mouse genetics, cell-type specific neural tracing, in vivo calcium imaging, in vivo and in vitro electrophysiology, and optogenetic manipulation techniques to understand how episodic memory is formed and stored in the brain (Kitamura et al, Science, 2014) (Kitamura et al., Neuron, 2015) (Kitamura et al., Science, 2017).
Dr. Kitamura joined the faculty in the Department of Psychiatry in 2017.
Please contact to Dr. Kitamura via E-mail: Takashi.Kitamura at UTSouthwestern.edu
If you are looking for a position as a Post-Doc, Research Assistant or Grad Student at Kitamura Lab, please send an email to Dr. Kitamura with a cover letter (describing your past projects and career goals), your CV and the names, emails and phone numbers of two references.
- Anatomy, Circuits, Physiology and Behavior for Elucidating Neural Mechanisms of Learning and Memory
- Cell-Type Specific Neural Tracing, Electrophysiology and Imaging for Understanding PTSD and Schizophrenia
- The role of engram cells in the systems consolidation of memory.
- Tonegawa S, Morrissey MD, Kitamura T Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2018 Jul
- Engrams and circuits crucial for systems consolidation of a memory.
- Kitamura T, Ogawa SK, Roy DS, Okuyama T, Morrissey MD, Smith LM, Redondo RL, Tonegawa S Science 2017 Apr 356 6333 73-78
- Entorhinal Cortical Ocean Cells Encode Specific Contexts and Drive Context-Specific Fear Memory.
- Kitamura T, Sun C, Martin J, Kitch LJ, Schnitzer MJ, Tonegawa S Neuron 2015 Sep 87 6 1317-31
- Island cells control temporal association memory.
- Kitamura T, Pignatelli M, Suh J, Kohara K, Yoshiki A, Abe K, Tonegawa S Science 2014 Feb 343 6173 896-901
- Adult neurogenesis modulates the hippocampus-dependent period of associative fear memory.
- Kitamura T, Saitoh Y, Takashima N, Murayama A, Niibori Y, Ageta H, Sekiguchi M, Sugiyama H, Inokuchi K Cell 2009 Nov 139 4 814-27
- Adult hippocampal neurogenesis for systems consolidation of memory.
- Terranova JI, Ogawa SK, Kitamura T, Behav. Brain Res. 2019 Oct 372 112035
- Orchestrated ensemble activities constitute a hippocampal memory engram.
- Ghandour K, Ohkawa N, Fung CCA, Asai H, Saitoh Y, Takekawa T, Okubo-Suzuki R, Soya S, Nishizono H, Matsuo M, Osanai M, Sato M, Ohkura M, Nakai J, Hayashi Y, Sakurai T, Kitamura T, Fukai T, Inokuchi K, Nat Commun 2019 06 10 1 2637
- Adult Neurogenesis Conserves Hippocampal Memory Capacity.
- Alam MJ, Kitamura T, Saitoh Y, Ohkawa N, Kondo T, Inokuchi K J. Neurosci. 2018 Jul
- Distinct Neural Circuits for the Formation and Retrieval of Episodic Memories.
- Roy DS, Kitamura T, Okuyama T, Ogawa SK, Sun C, Obata Y, Yoshiki A, Tonegawa S Cell 2017 Aug 170 5 1000-1012.e19
- Driving and regulating temporal association learning coordinated by entorhinal-hippocampal network.
- Kitamura T Neurosci. Res. 2017 May
Honors & Awards
- The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Travel Award, TN, USA
- Whitehall Foundation Research Grant Award, FL, USA
- Brain Research Foundation Fay/Frank Seed Grant Award, IL, USA
- HFSP Young Investigator Grant Award, Strasbourg, FRA
- NARSAD Young Investigator Grant Award, Brain & Behavior Research Foundation, NY, USA
- Peter and Patricia Gruber International Research Award, DC, USA
- The Young Scientists Prize for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- UT System Rising STARs Award, TX, USA
- Infinite Kilometer Award, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, USA
- Japan Neuroscience Society Young Investigator Award, Japan
- Junior Faculties Developmental Programs at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Sasagawa Scientific Research Award, Japan
- Scientific Research Award of Kyushu University, Japan
- Neuroscience Research Excellent Paper Award, Japan
- Molecular and Cellular Cognition Society (2011)
- Association for Neurons and Brain Disease (2007)
- Society for Neuroscience (2003)
- Society for Japanese Neuroscience (2002)